Need advice on a multi-day hunting pack.

Montana_BackCountry

Jan 9, 2013
Right now I'm looking at the Tenzig 5000, but the frugal man in me has a tough time parting 300+ bucks for a new pack.  Anybody out there find a durable and functional pack for a more reasonable price?  I need it to be able to carry enough space for 3+ days in the field at a time and haul out meat when the deal is sealed. 

Thanks for any and all input. 

I don't have any hunting advise on that which you seek, but I do for packing and that is a dana designs terraplane.  I'm planning  my hunt for this coming fall in Montana.  I plan to use my terraplane, 3-5 day pack or my astralplane, 5-10 day pack.  I have been doing some reading on packing out meat and these packs should be fine.  Either pack is readily available on ebay as they are no longer made.  Just be sure to stay away from the ones made after dana designs left Bozeman-they went to Mexico.  These packs carry a lifetime and I just (this summer had my Terraplane fixed under warranty.  These packs carry like a dream.

Badlands 2200.  i love mine, very comfortable to carry, ample storage for 2-3 days, water compatible....  got it from camofire for under 200, i want to say something like $160ish?

two things you should never go cheap on are your pack and your boots.  I wear an 8 dollar realtree shirt and pants that I bought at walmart 4 years ago but I have a mystery ranch nice frame, a metcalf bag, and a load sling and a pair of Kenetrek boots. 

Remember this is not a purchase it is an investment.  Those are probly the two best investments I have ever made.

Thanks for the advice.  I've looked a lot at the mystery ranch packs too.  Gotta say I still think for the value and the space and the utility that the Tenzig 5000 is still in the lead.  I definitely want a nice pack that will last for a long time and suit my needs in the back country.  Anyone else with input on a bag they have they like is still appreciated.

I am sure that will suit your needs... seems a bit heavy at 7 1/2 pounds for just the pack, but if you are good for it, I imagine it will carry whatever you need it to.  The Badlands Summit weighs in at about 1lb less for similar space/ price point. 

Like one of the earlier posts mentioned, if you are able to get out away from the idea of a camouflage pack, true mountaineering packs are designed to be lightweight and haul heavy loads.  But, if you must have camo...

Another worth looking at for that size/ price would be the Eberlestock J34... with compression straps, etc... it goes from 2300 to 4600 cubic inches (doesn't look like it has a meat shelf though, like the Tenzing...) 

Good luck!

Honestly the camo is not a deal-breaker.  I've been really looking at a lot of multi-day backpackers packs as well.  Only requirement is dulled colors on the exterior and soft quiet materials.  Thanks for the leads!

I have the Eberlestock Dragonfly and it has worked well but even strippeddown its pretty heavy. If your looking for budget I have heard the Alps packs are worth more than what you pay for them but I haven't been under one of them.

Being a frugal man myself, this is what I used 2 years ago. LL bean makes a pack called the Hunters carry all pack, it is designed to haul loads but doesn't include a bag. I used a duffel bag with my camping gear in the cargo sling and it worked great. I hauled my Cow out, another cow, and hindquarters on 2 different bulls,  My hunting partners were so impressed with it they asked to borrow it for the 2013 trip and it hauled out a cow and a bull this year. best of is the price. $79.00 if you are creative and frugal it is a do all pack. backed by the LL bean unconditional warranty.

That's pretty similar to what I'm operating from right now.  I have a metal frame pack which I load up with my gear.  I just throw a light day pack onto the pile of necessaries so i can get back and hunt from a central location.  It works well for sure, I guess I've got a minor case of "grass is greener" by updating to a new more cumulative carry pack.  Thanks again everyone for the continued feedback.

http://outdoorsmans.com/outdoorsmans-optics-hunter-pack-system/

This will be my next pack i have seen it used for long trips in the roughest country and short day trips from the truck. it seems to have everything one could want i do not own it yet but i will this year. i have shopped from one end of the spectrum to the other. to me the outdoorsman pack system seems the best the toughest for the money.what ever you decide dont be cheap about it i agree with the other guys pack boots and sleeping bag you cannot afford to be cheap on. also load it and carry it as often as you can before your hunt make it part of your body.know every pocket stash and how you can move in it.

I have used the TZ 6000 the last two years and it has been outstanding, everything you need in a backcountry hunting pack.  Plenty of functional space, easy to get to pockets (3 ways to get into main compartment), quite, easy to adjust, fit is solid and I had no problem carrying out heavy loads of Bull Elk meat!  7lbs by itself but when carrying out 75-100lbs of meat you want a pack that has quality construction and materials that won't tear or break.

My budget was tight as well but this pack has definitely been worth every penny and when all that meat comes home with me the wife forgot about the price, lol!

Badlands anything. Love my 2200, picked it up 2 years ago for $225. I have done a 2 night, 3 day and it was plenty big. The Clutch looks bigger. I've looked at a 4500, but just too big for what I acutally need. You can find all of them on ebay for under $300.

cowboystl1 said:
http://outdoorsmans.com/outdoorsmans-optics-hunter-pack-system/

This will be my next pack i have seen it used for long trips in the roughest country and short day trips from the truck. it seems to have everything one could want i do not own it yet but i will this year. i have shopped from one end of the spectrum to the other. to me the outdoorsman pack system seems the best the toughest for the money.what ever you decide dont be cheap about it i agree with the other guys pack boots and sleeping bag you cannot afford to be cheap on. also load it and carry it as often as you can before your hunt make it part of your body.know every pocket stash and how you can move in it.

I use one that looks exactly like that. Not sure if the company was bought out or what.
Wilderness Pack Specialties. Yukon
Great pack/frame.

Attachments

• Pack.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 7
I have looked at and used several packs over the past 6-7 years....from the high end ones (some mentioned here) to the lower end ones (also mentioned here). There are some situations where the high end packs will excel over the rest. There are some situations where a low end pack is all that is needed. For me, finding the best of both worlds - quality, comfort, and reasonable price - was important.

I currently use the TZ5000 (extended bivy hunts) and the TZ2220 (day hunts), and I feel they are the best packs for the money. You can get higher quality, no doubt, and in some cases it is justifiable. For my style of elk hunting, I really like the Tenzing packs mentioned though. If you're even considering a Badlands 2200, I would STRONGLY suggest looking closely at the Tenzing 2220...in my opinion, and having used both, there is no comparison in quality, comfort, and durability...and the Tenzing is slightly less money.

Just my 2 cents...

I think I'm going off the chart with these options and getting an Osprey Atmos 65. 
http://www.rei.com/product/828429/osprey-atmos-65-pack
It's got everything I'm looking for in a hunting pack minus the camo, and the graphite grey color is really going to blend into any environment pretty well.  My only concern is stapping meat to it, but it looks to have enough secure straps to get the job done.  Thanks everyone for weighing in on the discussion, and just for fodder... the Tnzig 5000 was my second choice, lost out to the billfold.

I have switched to an Oregon Packworks system. It is a multi-day pack the breaks down in about two minutes or less to a day hunting pack or even just a lumbar pack. It is extremely comfortable and I have had 100 lbs in it comfortably. The weight does not feel nearly as heavy as what is in there. Also, there is a new product coming out this Spring that is called EXO Mountain Gear and it looks pretty nice.

buglelk said:
I have looked at and used several packs over the past 6-7 years....from the high end ones (some mentioned here) to the lower end ones (also mentioned here). There are some situations where the high end packs will excel over the rest. There are some situations where a low end pack is all that is needed. For me, finding the best of both worlds - quality, comfort, and reasonable price - was important.

I currently use the TZ5000 (extended bivy hunts) and the TZ2220 (day hunts), and I feel they are the best packs for the money. You can get higher quality, no doubt, and in some cases it is justifiable. For my style of elk hunting, I really like the Tenzing packs mentioned though. If you're even considering a Badlands 2200, I would STRONGLY suggest looking closely at the Tenzing 2220...in my opinion, and having used both, there is no comparison in quality, comfort, and durability...and the Tenzing is slightly less money.

Just my 2 cents...
Does the Tenzing 2200 have a meat shelf?
Thats one reason I chose the Badlands 2200 over the Tenzing.

So after additional research on the Osprey pack it's really only rated to carry about 50-60 lbs of weight... (not even one hind quarter.)

Looks like I'll be making the full investment and picking up the Tenzig 5000.  Need a pack suited for bringing meat back home.  Glad I caught this little bit of info now rather than several miles back with 100+ lbs on my back.  good grief. 

From what I can tell, I would really take a look at http://exo-hunting.com/.  They have their new EXO 3500 Skeleton pack and have been putting it through the paces. 3 mile hikes with 100+ lbs.  Worth a look definitely.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back