Need advice on a multi-day hunting pack.

BrentLaBere said:
cowboystl1 said:
http://outdoorsmans.com/outdoorsmans-optics-hunter-pack-system/

This will be my next pack i have seen it used for long trips in the roughest country and short day trips from the truck. it seems to have everything one could want i do not own it yet but i will this year. i have shopped from one end of the spectrum to the other. to me the outdoorsman pack system seems the best the toughest for the money.what ever you decide dont be cheap about it i agree with the other guys pack boots and sleeping bag you cannot afford to be cheap on. also load it and carry it as often as you can before your hunt make it part of your body.know every pocket stash and how you can move in it.

I use one that looks exactly like that. Not sure if the company was bought out or what.
Wilderness Pack Specialties. Yukon
Great pack/frame.

After a little research its not the same but not to far from it nice pack though

nateysmith said:
From what I can tell, I would really take a look at http://exo-hunting.com/.  They have their new EXO 3500 Skeleton pack and have been putting it through the paces. 3 mile hikes with 100+ lbs.  Worth a look definitely.

I can't wait to check out the EXO packs.  They are planning on coming out with a 5500 pack this summer too.  Just might be my next pack

I'm in the same boat as nateysmith and elk man dan.  It fits everything I have been looking for plus the concept of the frame makes perfect sense.

I have to agree with Mountain Bowhunter earlier in this post. Buy cheap clothing and go big on a pack. Mystery Ranch all the way. Metcalf is awesome

I notice that no one has mentioned Stone Glacier.  I'm also looking for a new multi-day pack and have been doing a lot of research on this one especially after reading a recent article in Extreme Elk.  Only thing holding me back now is the price (similar to mystery ranch).  Anyone have any experience with these?  They come with a meat shelf rated to 130lbs, but it was tested to 340# without failure.  Packs are made in Montana USA and have a lifetime warranty. Also, have a module system where you can add and subtract more cubic inches, not to mention ultralight.  Please let me know if I'm going off topic and there is another thread about this. 

I also did a lot of research and field tested a couple of packs, including a eberlestock tailhook (too small) a badlands 2800 and I finally ended up with a Eberlestock j34 ($300), Not an supper expensive pack like the $500 mystery ranch but not a cheap pack either.  I really couldn't justify owning 2 packs so I compromised with the J34. It compressed down to 2200 for day trips with the ability to carry heavy loads out and it can expand out to 4400 and even 7000+ with an companion duffle sack. I liked the BD 2800 however it didn't fit my torso too well and I ended up with knots in my back for a couple of weeks after a week long hunt. SO LIKE BOOTS, YOU HAVE TO HAVE A PACK FIT RIGHT FOR YOUR BODY. It is a heavier pack at 7 pounds, but it fits my body so well that I don't notice it and when I have it loaded up with meat, it is very comfortable! So what ever pack you end up with, you should have the option of loading it up and go for a walk around the store, or at least have a good return policy, then you can go hike up and down a hill to really see if you got the right one for you. Also consider the warranty, I believe the BD has a lifetime no fault warranty, something like that then you have a pack for life.

I actually went through this same frustrating decision a little while ago.  I went to a few different reatailers and tried on as many packs as I could.  I loaded them up with anything i could find (ammo and powder usually) and walked around the store checking out all the other merchandise while people stared at me. 
After searching all of the stores that i could I began surfing the internet in search of good reviews on packs that i hadn't been able to find in these stores.  I was able to find a company named Horn Hunter which is not mentioned nearly as much as some of the big manufacturers (Eberlestock, Badlands, Mystery Ranch etc.) but has some amazing reviews and great packs at a good price.
I ended up going down to their facility in Sandy, UT to check out their Full Curl System.  It is an amazing pack, it holds 5000 cu/in with the whole system but then when you get into camp you can remove the large duffle bag portion and use just the frame and day pack or just the day pack alone.  It hauls weight very comfortably and keeps it nice and tight to your body between the duffle bag and the frame.  It has been a very comfortable pack and they also have a lifetime warranty. 
I would strongly reccomend checking these guys out.  I was very impressed and couldn't be happier with my pack.

I got an email from Kuiu. They are having a clearance on their 2013 Icon packs (about $150 off) and they have introduced a new pack that has a much lower price than the icon- fewer bells and whistles and lighter frame I think.

I have not used a Kuiu pack, but they look impressive.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back