New Calling Series on YouTube

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
Wanted to let you guys know that Corey released a new calling series on the Elk101 YouTube page. In the video series, he breaks down the keys to learning to use and control diaphragm elk calls, the individual components that make up elk sounds, and how to master these simple components and put them together to sound like an elk. The series covers everything from making cow calls, bugles, and one of the hardest sounds to learn to make - the "chuckles". If you've ever wanted to become a better elk caller, this new video series is for you! Here is a link to Episode 1: https://youtu.be/1zMW6w1Drb8

The next Episodes will continue to load, one after the other. There are four videos total.

Man, I have watched all the videos and practiced. I still cant get it, I don't know if it is a wrong position or tongue. I really want to grasp this before my next elk hunt. 

Have you tried different sizes/types of diaphragm calls?  There are certain ones I can't even make a decent cow call with.

There are different sizes and also different diaphragm calls that don't have the plastic dome on them like the All Star. It might be worth trying one out.

Are you getting any sound to come out?

The high pitch is just based on tongue pressure, but the diaphragm can't be letting air through the roof of your mouth either. I'm guessing the diaphragm just doesn't fit your mouth. I'd give another call a try  :upthumb:

If it were me, I'd try the other two Elk101 Diaphragms (Champ and Contender) to see if it was the latex and not the size that was the issue, and then I'd try a narrower call. I know Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls has the 'Mini Master' call that is for narrower palates, maybe try that one.

For you guys that just don't seem to be able to get it, hear is what worked for me.

You are most likely trying too hard. Lighten up on your air pressure to not even as hard as you would normally do when you exhale a deep breath.

I can still remember when I got my first sounds from a diaphragm call. I got so disgusted that I just said shoot and the sound popped out. Think about what your tongue is doing when you make that (shhhhhh) sound. It actually arches up towards the roof of your mouth. The harder your tongue arches up, the higher the sound you will produce. And you don't have to use hardly any more air pressure to obtain it.

(You can actually  arch you tongue upward hard enough to completely block your air flow)! This is why tongue pressure is so important when using a diaphragm elk call!

Trust me guys! It's like riding a bicycle. Once you get it, you will have it forever.

I did purchased the other 2 calls to see where is land with them. I am also thinking I might need to get a bigger one as I have a bigger tongue that doesn't arch that much. I hope one of the other 2 elk101 calls work for me but we will see when they come in. I do appreciate your guys feedback. It does help me out.  ;D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back