New Release

AaronJohnson

Mar 4, 2014
I recently have been shopping for a new release. I actually have been in the market for a year or so but just recently started taking some action.

I ordered a Carter Like Mike and an HTM inline last week. Shot them over the weekend and didn\'t really care for either. The Like Mike is a nice release but I didn\'t really care for the resetting sequence and straight trigger (I prefer a swept trigger). The tension adjustment placement sucks (under buckle loop and hard to get to, typical Carter design) That said, it was a really crisp action upon release.

The HTM inline is a T-Handle release but with an index trigger. I shoot an index finger with back tension and it worked great. Downside is that it definitely changed my anchor point and just didn\'t think I could get all that comfortable with it. That said, it was not as crisp and I was not overly impressed with construction.

I ended up lastly with a Hamskea Drop-Tine. Very nicely constructed, functional, no creep and well thought through design. This release is crisp, swept trigger and has a very easily adjustable tension. Tension adjustment screw has a set screw on the opposite side which sets the tension screw in place. It\'s very easy to access as well. I\'ve added some pictures below. I will continue to shoot and provide feedback.

Nice. I to am looking forward to your report.

Have you been shooting a hook style before? Don\'t know why but they tend to make me nervous that they would slip off.

\"F M\" said:
Nice. I to am looking forward to your report.

Have you been shooting a hook style before? Don\'t know why but they tend to make me nervous that they would slip off.

I am worried about using the hooks too!

Brad,

Spot Hogg Wise Guy. I like that release too but needed a back up as well. I\'ll shoot this drop time for a while and see which one is the lead off hitter.

FM, hook style are great. Doubt I\'ll ever shoot another caliper. Easy on and off and easier on the d-loop. I wouldn\'t be scared of one.

I just bought a new one too. Carter Too Simple. Great trigger tension an travel adjustments. Frame is nice too. Just different from my current handle. So far I like it but I need more time behind it to be sure.

Aaron, I do like the looks of that Hamskea. Whatever they make is good so it doesn\'t surprise me that it impressed you.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I also have the hamskea droptine right now. I\'m testing it against a few different Carters. My only complaint: the wrist strap is subpar. It\'s sowed on loosely and will likely need to be repaired after a while. I am currently using the hamskea release with the strap off my carter. Other than that the droptine is sweet. For those worried about the hook style, once you get used to it, you\'ll never shoot another style

\"otcWill\" said:
I also have the hamskea droptine right now. I\'m testing it against a few different Carters. My only complaint: the wrist strap is subpar. It\'s sowed on loosely and will likely need to be repaired after a while. I am currently using the hamskea release with the strap off my carter. Other than that the droptine is sweet. For those worried about the hook style, once you get used to it, you\'ll never shoot another style

The thing that appeals to me most about the hook style is how quickly and little effort is required to get on your loop.
With my caliper type, you have to really pay attention. Otherwise you are hooking up to nothing!

I was just always worried that the hook ones would hold while I was drawing back. :ill:

Looks very similar to the old Carter Lok Jaw 2000. Except that the Lok Jaw won\'t slip off the string accidently. I have two of them and see no need to ever try anything else. But everyone is different and what one person likes may not suit the next guy.

The very best of anything in the world is the one that works best for you! :upthumb:

tuning in for some more updates. My current Scott release is starting to stick. Going to try cleaning it up and putting a little graphite on it to see if that helps.

Scott Rhino XT NCS buckle strap. It is a hook release. Comes with 3 different tension Springs, plus a straight and swept back trigger. I use the medium spring and straight trigger. Springs may be trimmed to fine tune lbs of pressure.

For my puny hands, I have to special order the small size strap. It comes with the standard size strap. Scott makes 3 size straps:small, standard and large.

My hook release has never fallen off. I will never go back to caliper releases.

Bass pro and cabelas let archers try their in stock releases at their range before buying.

I did not know there was another re!ease similar in design to the Rhino.

Ok, so I shot yesterday at the range for about an hour. Only shot the Hamskea.

I only shot at 30-40 yds and was impressed with the consistency I felt. As I mentioned before, I shoot back tension with an index finger so minimal trigger travel is important. With this release I don\'t feel any, very similar to the Like Mike from Carter. I know others can relate to this but I also felt more accurate with this release which as we know equates in to more confidence. When I start squeezing my shoulder blades together it feels like the trigger is not moving then it\'s gone. I will also say after 25 plus shots I started to get the \"feel\" as with any new release when you place your finger on the trigger it\'s a little bit of wariness for the sensitivity. I will continue to shoot it and update but so far it\'s really working out.

great.

i tried a Truefire hardcore once. i was blown away how my POI changed so much. it really affected my anchor point alot. i love the easy hookup. i might go with a hood type when i work my bow over..like new strings and cables, so i can re-set my peep sight if needed. i kinda remember me needing to move my peep UP which would be advantageous with my slider sight..when i am playing around with the 100 yard targets.

what i have grown accustomed to is the SHAFT type of releases. i didnt like the releases with the nylon strap between the wrist wrap and release jaw. i seem to shoot solid shafts better. but that is TBD. :)

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
great.

i tried a Truefire hardcore once. i was blown away how my POI changed so much. it really affected my anchor point alot. i love the easy hookup. i might go with a hood type when i work my bow over..like new strings and cables, so i can re-set my peep sight if needed. i kinda remember me needing to move my peep UP which would be advantageous with my slider sight..when i am playing around with the 100 yard targets.

what i have grown accustomed to is the SHAFT type of releases. i didnt like the releases with the nylon strap between the wrist wrap and release jaw. i seem to shoot solid shafts better. but that is TBD. :)
I\'ve had the hardcore max for about 3 seasons now and love it. It has adjustable trigger pressure as well as trigger travel and length adjustment. The shaft also folds back out of the way when needed.

I have been shooting a Stan since I got my new bow. Strictly trying to learn to shoot backtension. What I have noticed is the few times I have shot my Spot Hogg Wise Guy is the trigger is not stiff enough for me to employ the same pull I do with my Stan. I have no intentions of hunting with the Stan but will keep shooting it till May or June and then switch to whatever I intend to hunt with. One of the releases I have been looking at was the Hamskea. Can you set it colder than the Carters? I have also been looking at a Carter RX1.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back