New strings

Bullnuts

Mar 6, 2014
Spent last night putting new string/cable on my son\'s DXT and getting it tuned back up. I almost forgot how relaxing it was to work on a bow and get it set back up just right. Sure is fun!

Cool.

My Z7 really hasn\'t been shot for two years, and it was only used one year before that. Do you think I might need to change the strings?

Probably not AB. If it still looks good with no signs of wear, it is probably good to go. Especially if you have kept it waxed up good and stored it away from long periods of direct sun.

I agree.
AB - everything should be OK.
Start shooting it, and sight it in.
The string/cables may move a bit after you use it some, so be prepared to adjust if necessary

Don\'t have a bow press of my own, was looking at them couple years back. For the cost of one and the use I would\'ve gotten out of it just couldn\'t pull the trigger. I\'m sure I would\'ve been a hit with everybody in town that owns a bow. Just make a trip too my bow dealer when the work requires a press.

If you have a dependable pro shop in your town that does good work, that\'s a great way to go. The last time I took my bow to a local shop, I recognized the \"bow mechanic\" behind the counter as a kid who shot 4-H against my kids. He wasn\'t more than 15 years old and there was no way I was going to allow him to press my bow. I bought a press then and have been doing all my own work ever since. These new parallel and past parallel limb bows are a challenge and I have to buy a new press to accommodate them (currently using a pocket press for them) but once I scratch the money together for a new X press or something similar, I\'ll have the rockingest bow shop in this part of the state!

A lot of the newer bows don\'t require a press if you know what you are doing. If not, you better press them. And you can build your own press for $50 bucks or less. I haven\'t tried it on the past parallel bows yet but I don\'t see why it wouldn\'t work. It works on everything else. One of these days I\'ll have to take some pictures of it and post them on here. I know Buglemaster has made a couple of different presses as well.

This year is the first year Ive actually changed mine, lol. But to quantify last year I shot my current bow probably more times than I shot all my others combined. Sad but probably true, only missed a day or two and I hardly ever waxed the string either.

It started to constantly fuzz out all up and down the string. While hunting one day I noticed it had swollen up somehow under my arrow nock. It got so tight it was pulling the nocks out of the arrows. Anywhere else on the serving was fine. I sweated out the remainder of my WT season with it.

I submit to you that I waited toooo long before I changed mine.

Bob - Sounds like you had a strand or two let loose under the serving.
I replace mine every year but get strings and cables at a very good price.

There are a lot of really good string makers out there who are selling full sets for way less than you used to have to pay for custom sets. I bought my last set in 452X for $35, including shipping. You probably won\'t get all the great lubricants and stuff added to those strings and cables, but for $35 you can\'t beat them.

Mine were supposed to be winners choice, but since I got the bow second hand, I couldn\'t confirm that. The string was reported to be only six months sold when I got the bow. I did email winners choice with questions and they never replied.

I replaced them with winners choice for sure, since they didn\'t reply I almost did not go with them. A red flag for customer service in my book, my shop said they were in process of moving, no excuse, but will see.

ELITE bows come with winners choice.

i just had to go with a second set. nice i got to change up colors, but the quality was the same. not the most beautiful end loop servings, but the stuff is damn stable. i had my peep put in, and got i lined up. it actually lined up a few degrees off, but anticipated it coming around as i shot the string in and it stretches..the dumb thing never moved!! they are solid!!

but the fly in the ointment? i dont think they pay that much attention to lengths. i had to twist one cable so much to get everything to time. we pulled them out of the package and installed me with the factory twist. i actually think the cables are both still long..i am not getting my full DW.

bow shoots too wonderful to eff with at this point. whatever.

i think all those midwest archers with walk in the door access to all the super string builders and tuners are lucky as hell. TAZ, Center shot, etc..those guys get bows perfect.

my shop? no drawboard, broken chronograph, and cant find the bow scale. hahah..

\"Colorado_Lew\" said:
Bob - Sounds like you had a strand or two let loose under the serving.
I replace mine every year but get strings and cables at a very good price.
so what is the consensus on string change intervals? my bow was already two years old when I got it. then I shot the sh8t out of it that first year getting ready for Colorado. I maybe shot it twice last year because we went muzzleloader instead. just wondering if I should plan on changing it this year...

It all depends on how much you are shooting and if the string is exhibiting any creep or stretch.
You can twist most strings to get the bow back in spec.
Good strings will last you a couple of years if you take care of them, wax often is the rule.
If you notice a big change in arrow impact or draw length then your string may have started to fail.
The most common is under the serving, where strands can separate and not be noticed.

I change every year because I am on staff with a string company.

I ditto on change every year. Considering what a big game hunt costs, strings are the least expensive insurance you can buy for a good hunt. My third year of archery hunting (with the same string) I drew on a beautiful 5X6 at 10 yards. The string came totally apart at the shot, wrapped around my cams, lost my peep, and (no surprise here) I missed that gimme shot. Most string makers make good strings and cables and as long as they know what they\'re doing, the materials they use will be consistent across the board, so the products should be fairly close. It\'s the after market stuff, the lubricants, how well they wrap servings, that kind of thing, that becomes the difference. I\'ve found that my $35/set strings perform as well as a $100 set from somewhere else, and that\'s with a lot of shooting over the summer. I\'ll change everything up in July to make sure I have enough time to shoot everything back in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back