North Dakota elk

Ivar88

Aug 8, 2017
This afternoon I applied for the moose, elk and bighorn draw in North Dakota. The numbers are extremely low compared to what I am used to in New Mexico, but hey, I figured it was worth a shot. Has anyone ever drawn, harvested or even seen elk in North Dakota? I haven't ventured into "elk country" here yet.

I was able to draw an elk tag in ND a few years ago. I knew I was moving back to MN, thus it would be my last year applying for ?The Big 3? in ND. I chose to apply for a cow elk tag to increase my odds in drawing and I was successful. I was able to fill my tag on a big lead cow. The best part of that day was watching 2 giant 350 class bulls chase each other around the wheat field and keep their own harems of cows. The elk that are in ND tend to grow old and get big, but it took a lot of boot leather and networking to find them. Good luck in the draw Ivan!

I drew in E2 back in 2012. IMO E3 is the best overall hunt because of being able to rifle hunt the rut. I went with E2 because it had an archery only season.
BMF11 is right about the boot leather and networking.
As far as moose hunting goes I know the NW part of the state pretty well for them.....but moose hunting in ND isnt hard.
Always crossing my fingers for a big horn tag. The state record was broken twice last year. Bacterial Pneumonia was bad a couple years ago so we wont know if we have a season until their summer surveys are complete. Good luck in the draw and shoot me a message if you draw, ill see if I can help you out

BMF11 said:
I was able to draw an elk tag in ND a few years ago. I knew I was moving back to MN, thus it would be my last year applying for ?The Big 3? in ND. I chose to apply for a cow elk tag to increase my odds in drawing and I was successful. I was able to fill my tag on a big lead cow. The best part of that day was watching 2 giant 350 class bulls chase each other around the wheat field and keep their own harems of cows. The elk that are in ND tend to grow old and get big, but it took a lot of boot leather and networking to find them. Good luck in the draw Ivan!

Thanks for the information! I can't wait to get out and start looking for them. I just hope rifle elk season isn't like deer season here. I thought the locals were chasing pheasants until I saw the RIFLES in their hands!  :mg:

DTP said:
Good luck in the draw!

Thank you, sir!

BrentLaBere said:
I drew in E2 back in 2012. IMO E3 is the best overall hunt because of being able to rifle hunt the rut. I went with E2 because it had an archery only season.
BMF11 is right about the boot leather and networking.
As far as moose hunting goes I know the NW part of the state pretty well for them.....but moose hunting in ND isnt hard.
Always crossing my fingers for a big horn tag. The state record was broken twice last year. Bacterial Pneumonia was bad a couple years ago so we wont know if we have a season until their summer surveys are complete. Good luck in the draw and shoot me a message if you draw, ill see if I can help you out

I read about the bighorn issues which was absolutely terrible. I also saw that it was a 100% harvest rate this past year... All two tags! I am really trying to expand my network up here, but being as new as I am to the state, I haven't gotten anywhere yet. Either way I can't wait until the draw! I applied for the northwest region of the state for moose, so I am pretty excited about exploring up there just for the heck of it!

haha no, nothing compares to our rifle deer season... its the reason I have been applying in the badlands. You can get away from it. I came across 3 other groups of hunters on my hunt, so not much pressure at all. During the week you could have it all to yourself. I have heard some interesting stories about the hunts that are right up against the park that would compare to rifle deer season.
There has been as many as 6 to 8 tags given in a year for bighorns before including the auction tag. Still not many but its better than trying to apply out of state. And they are typically 100% successful hunts

It would be nice to see those number go up on the bighorn's. On the topic of deer, for a bow hunter, can someone hunt the badlands with a standard bow tag or is that draw too? I have been told both.

ND resident deer bow license is good for either species and any where in the state. With the exception of some areas not allowing mule deer doe. I believe 4A still has that restriction. Non residents need to apply for a state wide lottery tag that would include mule deer. There is a non resident whitetail deer tag that is OTC. You may only posses 1 of these tags

There is also the option of buying a reservation tag. This can be bought in addition to your other tags.

Ok, that's what I was hoping to hear. I spent a lot of time chasing mule deer with my bow in New Mexico. I will be giving that a shot this year in the badlands then.

Back to the elk, are the numbers good from what you've seen?

Isolated pockets of them. Depends on the unit too. But finding them on public can be a tough task at times. A lot of landowners in E2 are willing to help out if they dont have the gratis tag. I would assume the same for most other places. There are a couple places to avoid in E3 where landowners try to keep them on their property. Stories ive heard... Certainly can be a great hunt with a lot of good bulls shot every year compared to the low elk population. I saw two really good bulls in E2 when I was Mule deer hunting last November

I was one of the lucky hunters to draw a bull tag in unit E2 last year. I would recommend this unit as it has the archery only season and I encountered no hunting pressure what so ever. I already had elk pegged from mule deer hunting prior years so it wasn't much of a challenge to pattern them out before season. Practically everyone who draws the tag hunts with rifle only so you have most places to yourself during archery season. Land owners are also more willing to allow hunters during archery season because it doesn't interfere with their season if they have a gratis tag. They respond great to calls and I managed to call in several bulls. I ended up arrowing my bull on September 10th which was great given my past history of watching this bull. Just recently got it officially scored at 376 6/8. I did see several bulls over 320, 2 bulls over 360, and one bull right around 400 so the potential for a giant truly exists if you put in the work. best of luck!

Welcome to the site kupper!  :welcome:

Congrats on a massive bull! Would love to see pictures if you get the chance to share them  :upthumb:

I appreciate the welcome! ill see what I can do when I get home from work. Ive been completely infatuated with muledeer my whole life so the elk game is new to me. I think I may have spoiled my future elk hunting by lucking into a good bull for my first but nonetheless ive got the bug.

kupper said:
I appreciate the welcome! ill see what I can do when I get home from work. Ive been completely infatuated with muledeer my whole life so the elk game is new to me. I think I may have spoiled my future elk hunting by lucking into a good bull for my first but nonetheless ive got the bug.

Welcome kupper!  :upthumb:

kupper said:
I was one of the lucky hunters to draw a bull tag in unit E2 last year. I would recommend this unit as it has the archery only season and I encountered no hunting pressure what so ever. I already had elk pegged from mule deer hunting prior years so it wasn't much of a challenge to pattern them out before season. Practically everyone who draws the tag hunts with rifle only so you have most places to yourself during archery season. Land owners are also more willing to allow hunters during archery season because it doesn't interfere with their season if they have a gratis tag. They respond great to calls and I managed to call in several bulls. I ended up arrowing my bull on September 10th which was great given my past history of watching this bull. Just recently got it officially scored at 376 6/8. I did see several bulls over 320, 2 bulls over 360, and one bull right around 400 so the potential for a giant truly exists if you put in the work. best of luck!

I was wondering what that bull officially scored! That has to be near the top? talked to you on another forum last year when I saw you posted it.

BrentLaBere said:
I was wondering what that bull officially scored! That has to be near the top? talked to you on another forum last year when I saw you posted it.

I contacted the biologist for ND and he said they don't differentiate between rifle and bow kills for the ND elk. I instead got it scored through pope and young. gross was 376 6/8" and 372 4/8" typical. checking the book the prior record for ND was 359". there were maybe 3 entries total for ND in the book as of last year. Either not many people are hunting them with a bow or they aren't getting it officially scored. I suspect its a bit of both.

MAN! That's a big bull! I can't wait to see the pics. I ended up putting in for E3 this year based on the little bit of research I had done. I obviously need to dig a little bit deeper, but there just isn't enough out there in regards of information. I actually prefer it that way though. So, as far as land owners, are you guys knocking on door's or using the onX hunt app to get their information and call?

Kupper,Whether North Dakota counts it or not, I believe its the largest taken with a bow.  I know of a few that havent been registered but they arent that big.

"I instead got it scored through pope and young. gross was 376 6/8" and 372 4/8" typical."
This should put you at the top of the list for what has been registered in ND.
They used to have a larger list and for some reason removed it from their website. The link I saved no longer works.

Ivar88, E2 gives out landowner contact information. E3 youll have to use onx, nd trax or head out and knock on some doors

Never managed to get any good pictures due to where he died and the amount of time it took to get him out. With work the next day getting the meat out was with main priority.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back