Outside the Box: Tricks/Tactics

otcWill

Aug 15, 2017
Thought I\'d give up a few of my \"secret\" (not at all) tactics and others might share some of theirs. Here\'s a few.

The Elk Ventriloquist: I think directing a bull for my particular setup has helped a ton. I\'ve learned never to point my calls towards an elk but rather to lure him to the spot I want him by bouncing, muffling, and angling my calls accordingly. I do a lot of tucking my bugle under my arm and pointing it away. I want the bull to think I\'m 40-80 yards behind where I actually am. I believe this leads to a relaxed bull when he comes into range as he doesn\'t really expect to see anything yet. In this scenario, one man\'s \"hung up\" bull is another man\'s trophy. I\'d imagine this type of ventriloquism would work for stand hunters as well, but I haven\'t tested this theory. Another trick I use is to turn my diaphragm upside down in my mouth. This will produce softer, lower pitched sounds and really works for close range calling.

Background Noise: This, I believe has led to more convinced bulls for me than any other tactic. Simple I know but it works. I always setup with a bunch of softball size rocks when calling. I don\'t just throw em randomly, I still try to direct sounds to coax the bull where I want him. Also, noise works to calm elk down. Really, it does! I\'ve rolled rocks when an elk seems to have me pegged only to watch them go back to feeding. I will also take bunches of grass and rip them, creating the same sounds the elk do while feeding. I do this when making a final approach on elk in open meadows.

The Double: Another simple idea. When a bowhunter kills an elk the noise created is about the best curiosity call there is! If you aren\'t alone then sit tight after making a good shot. Make a call or two to calm or stop the elk you shot and then go back to hunting. Elk nearby will come more times than not if you hold your ground and continue some heard talk. In this situation, I\'ll bugle once or twice. Afterwards I\'ll make herd talk and attempt to sell the herd calming down. Most don\'t have the patience to pull this off as someone gets too excited about the bull they just shot, but try this and you\'ll eventually pull off the double.

These are just a few. I\'ll try to add more sometime soon. Anybody else got some \"secret\" tactics?

Wow, those are great.

These aren\'t really secret...

Last year, I learned elk can\'t focus well in my direction if the sun is behind me and the elk are in a sunny spot. The elk were blinded a bit by the sun and couldn\'t see well in my direction.

The sound of a creek masks other sounds. Great for masking the sound of our movements. However, it also means my calling may need to be a little bit louder than at other locations. I tend to make mostly softer calls,therefore, I adjust if the creek is loud.

Seems like a good thread for Lou to talk about headgear. Definitely an \"outside the box\" trick.

The extra sounds, like rocks, raking, etc., are something I want to \"not forget\" this year, so I\'ve been sitting in the front yard, rolling rocks around. Wife doesn\'t mind that as much as the bugling!

Kidding, of course, but I do want to remember these tactics.

I\'m suspicious that my ventriloquism is effective, though, at \"moving\" the apparent \"fake\" elk. I try to cast my calls this way or that, but I suspect I\'m not terribly effective. More hints on that, Will?

Pulling grass is one that I heard from an older gentleman at the trailhead a couple years ago. Another one he told me I should try, or that has worked for him, was to pour his water bottle out. Over a rock if possible to help make it sound louder. Might help add realism to the situation with an aggressive bull.

\"The Double\" is a great point. It is no good for me as I only have one tag and hunt alone, but have had other elk come around after killing one. I wait in my stand for a half hour or stay close by, and make no sounds of celebration. I have had a good bull come near even while butchering a cow.

Here is a trick I tried once: Years ago I had build a ladder and set it up, so I could easily ascend the tree where I planned to place my stand. Later, I went to that water hole to check things out, but someone had moved my ladder to another spot. I moved it back. I built it, and it was mine. Well a few days later I went in again and the ladder was moved and a new stand was up the tree where he had the ladder.
It was a week before the season opened. I knew he thought he was there first, even if he took my ladder to stake his claim. I thought, I will show you. So, during that week I filled three one gallon milk containers with my urine. We had a ranch so I could be discreet. Every time I had the call of nature I went outside to one of my containers. I was going to cure the rascal that took over my ladder, and hunting spot.
Friday evening just before the season opened, I took my three gallons of urine and spread it all around the water hole, the ladder and some down the main trails leading to the water.
I was really chuckling to myself, until I found out the hunter killed a bear there on opening day, and an elk there soon after. Since that time I have met the person that took over that spring and we have shared it. As a matter of fact we have become friends, but I never told him the story of the urine. I probably will some day if I think about it.

P.S. For years now, I have urinated out of my stand with no concern. The idea that it scares off game is bunk. I have had deer come and eat from the bush I just peed on. The bear I peed on came under my tree right where I had relieved myself earlier in the morning. Elk come in with no sign of concern. In case you are wondering, I have not found extra camo is really warranted in this situation. Don\'t bother. :lol:

When calling for a buddy that is set up out of sight and not calling, I make a turkey yelp with my to let him know we are done.
Then he will answer me, letting me know that he doesnt see an elk.
There have been times when I have made my way up to him, without not making this sound and not knowing an elk is coming in
Dang!

\"Swede\" said:
P.S. For years now, I have urinated out of my stand with no concern. The idea that it scares off game is bunk. I have had deer come and eat from the bush I just peed on. The bear I peed on came under my tree right where I had relieved myself earlier in the morning. Elk come in with no sign of concern. In case you are wondering, I have not found extra camo is really warranted in this situation. Don\'t bother. :lol:
I am now convinced that your urine smells like elk urine. :p

WOW Swede! You sure must drink a lot of coffee to fill 3 gallons!

OTCwill: most of the newer grunt tubes are not flexable like the old vacuum hose calls. So it is harder to tuck them under your arm and blow behind you without turning and creating more movement. What you described is what I call directing traffic. I have found that if you cover the end of your tube with a cotton jersey glove on your hand it muffles the sound and makes you much farther away than you actually are.

Another trick is to make your call and then run backwards about 30-40 yards before you make the next call. This causes the bull to think you may have cows and you are moving them away from him.

\">>>---WW---->\" said:
WOW Swede! You sure must drink a lot of coffee to fill 3 gallons!

It was 15+ years ago, so maybe I forgot if it was one week or two weeks. My wife thought I was crazy. That was definitely not her first clue, but she became more vocal about it then. Anyway it did not work. Scratch one thinking outside the box idea. :D

So, more tips on \"ventriloquism\"?

Is it as easy as pointing your bugle in a certain direction, or cupping your hand over your mouth and \"pushing\" noise this way or that?

John, sometimes it is that simple. I also like bouncing calls off slopes behind me. Ever hear a bugle and think it was way across some drainage only to find out he was MUCH closer? This is what I attempt. Take note when you hear this and try to pick up tips from the elk when they trick you on their exact location. Think of your sounds as a bullet ricocheting off the ground. You can even practice with a partner and see what works best by standing a ways off and critiquing the noise. Before long you\'ll be able to sound like a herd without changing your location. Hope this helps

A couple more: More than one bugle! This is also simple, but people never use it. If there are two or even three of you, setup 50 yards apart and bugle back and forth at eachother. I learned this one from hearing groups of bachelor bulls sounding off to eachother just before the rut kicks in. They\'ll start bugling about every couple minutes a lil before they get out of or go to their beds. Be sure to use different calls for this. It can be done solo if you\'re a decent ventriloquist or even by just moving around between bugles. This can be early season magic on bulls.

The Fight! Another one that few will ever try. Imagine two bulls coming to the same area and immediately hating eachother. A few contact bugles becoming closer together until it escalates to roaring challenges with grunts and chuckles. Now, take a set of small elk antlers and lay one on the ground. Bash the living heck out of them! You can mix in some other noises here especially if ya have a few guys, maybe a few excited cow calls, rock rolling, tree breaking, etc. Later in the season when the elk have herd just about everything this will still get their attention. Try it. It works

Will,

You mentioned flipping your diaphragm and getting a softer sound.
Are you talking about reversing how it sits in your mouth or just place it on your tongue, then flip it having it facing the same direction.

The only reason I ask is because I get the same sound when I flip mine....

More than one bugle ... I think that sounds like a great idea. Just like more than one cow call.

Dan, I mean flip it keeping it facing the same way, out. It works better with the smaller, older style diaphragms that sit further back in your mouth. Not so much with the ones with the dome on em. Try angling the call slightly crooked in your mouth as well. With practice, you can still get the same sounds only muffled and it sounds like its coming from somewhere else. Same effect when you keep the call as far back in your mouth as possible while still producing good noises and then moving it back to the front of your teeth. Sounds like two totally different elk in different places. Diaphragms are much like instruments. You\'ll always be getting better with them.

\"otcWill\" said:
Dan, I mean flip it keeping it facing the same way, out. It works better with the smaller, older style diaphragms that sit further back in your mouth. Not so much with the ones with the dome on em. Try angling the call slightly crooked in your mouth as well. With practice, you can still get the same sounds only muffled and it sounds like its coming from somewhere else. Same effect when you keep the call as far back in your mouth as possible while still producing good noises and then moving it back to the front of your teeth. Sounds like two totally different elk in different places. Diaphragms are much like instruments. You\'ll always be getting better with them.

Sounds great, Will. I will try that out.

Thank you for posting all of this.

One trick I use is to tear the tape completely off a Reed and use it that way !! You get a more airy sound on your cow mews and shrill bugles !!

I don\'t mention this much as everyone think you need the tape to make a seal to get sounds but this is not true !! Tape on a Reed is purely for user comfort and has nothing to do with air escaping or sound quality !!

With this airy bugle you elisit many answers you normally would not get.

Just be careful not to swallow the Reed !! I do not chuckle with the tape off as its small and you could swallow it easy !!

\"Wapiti\" said:
One trick I use is to tear the tape completely off a Reed and use it that way !! You get a more airy sound on your cow mews and shrill bugles !!

I don\'t mention this much as everyone think you need the tape to make a seal to get sounds but this is not true !! Tape on a Reed is purely for user comfort and has nothing to do with air escaping or sound quality !!

With this airy bugle you elisit many answers you normally would not get.

Just be careful not to swallow the Reed !! I do not chuckle with the tape off as its small and you could swallow it easy !!

Nurse: Doctor, come take a look at this xray!
Doctor: What the hell is that stuck in Mr. Ericksons throat?
Nurse: To small to be a tree stand?

:D

I think the little reed inserts for the Berry Thunder bugle are the same thing as any other diaphragm, without the tape. I tried blowing on them a little, but didn\'t have the success Travis had. My advise is if you get one of Wapiti\'s diaphragms; leave it alone and use it as is. You can make all the racket you need with them as is. Just blow on them where JF or cnelk hunt. Getting those little nuances in sound, are not likely to be worth the pain. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back