Outside the Box: Tricks/Tactics

Yes I agree !!

This is a trick I use but do not want anyone to copy me !! If I choke out there at least I\'m where I want to be !! LOL

Maybe try the other out of the box tricks before my silly one !! Please nobody choke or swallow a reed as I\'m not sure if it will come out on its own !!

I know most guys use scent stuff for deer but any of you guys use scent stuff for elk ? Most use wafers or cow elk urine or earth scent but any weird ideas out there other than those ?

I used a 35mm camera canister with cotton swabs in it and then use vanilla and make a mock scrap. Did a small hole and put the canister in and back fill lightly with dirt ! The bucks kept coming back to add there scent and they could never get rid of the vanilla as it was buried !!

I\'m curious if this would work for tree stand hunting elk ??

\"Wapiti\" said:
I know most guys use scent stuff for deer but any of you guys use scent stuff for elk ? Most use wafers or cow elk urine or earth scent but any weird ideas out there other than those ?

I used a 35mm camera canister with cotton swabs in it and then use vanilla and make a mock scrap. Did a small hole and put the canister in and back fill lightly with dirt ! The bucks kept coming back to add there scent and they could never get rid of the vanilla as it was buried !!

I\'m curious if this would work for tree stand hunting elk ??

So the cotton swabs gather the real scent of the bucks?

I do not know about the vanilla, but elk urine has been a bust. It seems making an elk think another elk is where I have my stand is a liability. The elk seem to stay away rather than come in to the scent. Salt gets a little use in the season, but I have not determined it increases use of the salted spot. It seems that a few elk will lick it when they are near, but don\'t seem to come to it.
Wapiti: I am gone for a few days scouting again, but I am interested in the vanilla idea. What makes you think it could work on elk?

Russell Hull from Hill City Kansas came up with this stuff back in the late 70\'s. It is called COVER UP and is vanilla scent.

I know the deer come to it from a curiosity stand point. I never tried it in an elk area but I may make a set this year and put a camera up just to see !!

John the vanilla is poured into the cotton swabs inside the canister and then buried and the smell just oozes out the dirt and the deer keep pawing the ground adding there scent but trying to eliminate the vanilla scent which they can not !! I have shot many a big buck with this method !! Biggest whitetail scored 188\' using the vanilla method !

Bill was this cover scent you mention sprayed on or did you spray branches and grass with it once you got set up ? I know elk are curious like whitetails so it will be interesting to see what happens with the scent this year for elk !!

Trav

Another tactic we use when still hunting is to pay attention to the squirrels and birds that take flight or also start talking. As squirrels start to chatter near you, slow down/stop and glass that are with your binos. These little critters have alerted us to elk that we had not seen yet.

\"Baby Huey\" said:
Another tactic we use when still hunting is to pay attention to the squirrels and birds that take flight or also start talking. As squirrels start to chatter near you, slow down/stop and glass that are with your binos. These little critters have alerted us to elk that we had not seen yet.
Good one. This also helps for cold calling setups. In addition to listening for branches breaking, a squirrel may go bonkers as an elk passes by. For me, it usually happens on my downwind side [CRYING FACE]

\"Wapiti\" said:
I know the deer come to it from a curiosity stand point. I never tried it in an elk area but I may make a set this year and put a camera up just to see !!

John the vanilla is poured into the cotton swabs inside the canister and then buried and the smell just oozes out the dirt and the deer keep pawing the ground adding there scent but trying to eliminate the vanilla scent which they can not !! I have shot many a big buck with this method !! Biggest whitetail scored 188\' using the vanilla method !

Bill was this cover scent you mention sprayed on or did you spray branches and grass with it once you got set up ? I know elk are curious like whitetails so it will be interesting to see what happens with the scent this year for elk !!

Trav
If memory serves me right, it came in a 4 ounce plastic squeeze bottle. I only tried it once. I put it on about a 1\" cube of sponge and satuated it with the Cover UP and pinned it to the top of my hat. Every once in awhile I noticed a natt fly past my face. I took the hat off and they were swarming the sponge. Guess they like the smell of vanilla to. I think you can still buy the stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back