Pack choice?

looking for a pack to fit my body, im only 5'8", so dont have a long torso. Would like to get something to do dayhunts with, something like 2000 to 2500cubic inches, any sugestions? Daniel

@ Daniel baybee- im only 5'9'' and i use the sitka bivy 30, it fits like a glove and i can load it down with 70 pounds and not have a problem with it.  One of the best fitting packs ive had in a long time.

daniel bybee said:
looking for a pack to fit my body, im only 5'8", so dont have a long torso. Would like to get something to do dayhunts with, something like 2000 to 2500cubic inches, any sugestions? Daniel

Kifaru T3, Kifaru Late Season, Eberlestock X2, Badlands 2200, Badlands 2800 should be strong enough to handle day pack duties and carry some weight out. You will need to measure your torso to see if you will get usage out of the load lifters on the X2.

Backpack Hunter said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:
. the nice frame is completely adjustable to fit any size torso and waist.

The Nice frame is only 21" tall so unless your torso size is (roughly) around 18" or less you will not have functional load lifter....unless you use one of the larger bags ie. the 6500 etc. due to the load lifter attachment points being higher.
they have higher attachment points on the new metcalf as well
http://elk101.com/forums/index.php/topic,642.msg7933.html#msg7933

Big Tex said:
Have a Eberle Just 1 and its a solid mid-priced pack, but I don't like how the expansion is off the back and it just doesn't seem to fit my long torso very well...Been looking at the Kifaru's but haven't pulled the trigger.

I use an Eberlestock Just One too and love it.  Although the only thing is the straps that tighten on the shoulder at the top.  You can't tighten them too much without pinching your shoulders which makes the pack come off the back a little.  I have found a better way of packing my stuff so it doesn't happen too often unless I am packing an animal out.

I'm 6'4 and I think that would be more than enough for me.  On the crew cab the lifters don't take that much weight off my shoulders but they do serve the other purpose of load lifters which is to pull the load toward you and stabilize it.  I definitely notice a huge difference when I have my treestand in there

I'm 5'8", and I use the Eberlestock Blue Widow for all of my hunting needs unless going out for a day only. Big Tex and I hauled a bull out of the mountains of Colorado in 10 hours, and my Eberlestock worked like a charm. Our packs were so heavy, once we helped each other get onto our feet,  I couldn't tell I had more than about 50 lbs on my back. I would buy it again in a heart beat. I got mine from Steve Speck at S&S Archery. ;D

Mountain Bowhunter said:
I'm 6'4 and I think that would be more than enough for me.  On the crew cab the lifters don't take that much weight off my shoulders but they do serve the other purpose of load lifters which is to pull the load toward you and stabilize it.  I definitely notice a huge difference when I have my treestand in there

Torso size is how you determine pack fit. Load lifters are supposed to do what the name implies. Lift the load and transfer weight. Optimum angle is 45degr or better.

I have a friend who is 6'4" his torso is 18", another friend who is 5'10" his torso is 20".

Backpack Hunter said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:

Torso size is how you determine pack fit. Load lifters are supposed to do what the name implies. Lift the load and transfer weight. Optimum angle is 45degr or better.

I have a friend who is 6'4" his torso is 18", another friend who is 5'10" his torso is 20".
you are correct on this.  but even without optimum angles they will still transfer weight forward. you just won't get as much lift, which just takes a little pressure off your shoulders

Mountain Bowhunter said:
you are correct on this.  but even without optimum angles they will still transfer weight forward. you just won't get as much lift, which just takes a little pressure off your shoulders

Seriously, not being argumentative. You want the weight transferred to your hips not forward, 80/20 to 70/30 is optimal. There is more than a little pressure taken off your shoulders.
While a pack that is close to fitting can be nice or ok to carry, once you experience a well fitted pack there is no comparison. It really is a joy to carry.

Backpack Hunter said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:

Seriously, not being argumentative. You want the weight transferred to your hips not forward, 80/20 to 70/30 is optimal. There is more than a little pressure taken off your shoulders.
While a pack that is close to fitting can be nice or ok to carry, once you experience a well fitted pack there is no comparison. It really is a joy to carry.

Well, load lifters move the weight forward toward the front of your shoulders which lifts the load off the top of your shoulders.  so moving the weight forward is what transfers it to your hips.
Dana Gleason definitely knows what he's doing in pack fit, he's been designing industry leading packs for over 30 years and Mystery Ranch is his best work yet.  I've never used a more comfortable pack

Dana definitely knows packs, as does Mchale, and Patrick and loads of other pack manufacturers. Whether his designs with Mystery Ranch are his best is up for debate, after all he has made quite a few good packs.
Again I will reiterate there is a huge difference between a pack that is well fitting and one that is just so so. That is one of the reasons McHale takes so long evaluating performance when he makes your packs for you. Everything needs to be just so as an inch here or there ends up making a big difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back