Passing up a raghorn

COelkaholic88

Jan 4, 2013
I have a great limited entry archery elk tag in pocket. This past Sunday I went up for the first time and got on a herd of elk within the first 2 miles of my walk. The big bull was bugling and responding to our calls but wouldn't come closer than 80yds. I was trying to close the distance when a 4x5 raghorn was headed straight towards my caller and spotted me. He had to have seen me, but curious about the sweet talk behind me, he just went around me. I had him broadside at 20 yds and I stopped him perfect with a mouth call. I was at full draw and decided to pass on the young bull. After I got home I couldn't help but think if that would be my only chance and slinging an arrow at a bull. I've been getting the guilt trip from everyone including my wife that I should of drilled him. I know there are some good bulls up there and the rut hasnt even kicked in yet. What's your take on this? Should I have shot? Or pass and hope the rut brings more fruitful earnings?

Not sure how many bulls you have under your belt, but if I had multiple opportunities or days to hunt with that tag...I would probably have let him walk also. Besides...almost every wife wants you to shoot the first thing you see so you are home more...Silly Women...Good luck and go shoot a herd bull!!! And don't forget to post it on the MEATPOLE thread!!!

I have 6 bulls under my belt, one close to 300", and all of them from rifle seasons. I have not killed anything with my bow. And I have a two week "vacation" set aside for the 14th through the 29th so I can camp out if I don't stick one this weekend. I guess knowing that the tag quota for that unit is set at 60 and having the entire mountain to myself this last weekend, helps ease the pain lol.

If it's a hard to get tag I wouldn't shoot a bull you wont be happy with. I usually think I am going to hold out for big animals but if I see an animal and it gets me excited for whatever reason then I am going to shoot.

Regardless you followed your heart and did what you wanted and that is truly what you must answer to. It's easy for others to say what they would do, but given the same situation they don't really know. Be satisfied that YOU did what you did based on what you wanted at that time and never regret it.
I suspect if you had shot that bull you would have been more disappointed in yourself than what others are putting on you, because you want better and know you have other opportunities ahead..otherwise you would have shot...Good Luck ahead!

I agree with elk addict, that last post was well said. I never looked at it that way nclonghunter, but ya I think i would have been a bit disappointed cause I know the potential that area holds. Im not looking for a state record but i want my first elk with a bow to be a hard one to beat for next year!

You cant get the big one if you dont pass the small ones.If you shot what you dont want than you just took another one that could be big next year and made alot of work for your self this year and ended all the fun. just my opinion

Best advise i ever got was dont pass on the first day what u would shoot on the last. meat in the freezer is what is the most important thing. but if you have a pile of bulls around sure wait but dont take it to the last day unless u are strictly a trophy hunter.

COelkaholic88 - Understand your issue.  A couple of years ago a got my first archery bull 45 minutes into the first day I was hunting (DIY general area in Wyoming).  He  was a 4x4 raghorn.  I didn't regret it for a minute and spent the rest of the hunt calling for my partner, eventually bringing down a nice 6x6 for him.  Last year I passed up a spike in a great limited area hoping for a big one.  Ate that tag, but I don't regret that decision either.  2nd what nclonghunter said...

If you have a fair amount of time to hunt ?, I would say that you did the right thing, with that tag why not go for a good one.

If you were from back east like I am with only 7 or 8 days to hunt, it would be a different story.

Good luck
Kevin

Hard to tell others what they should have done. Like others have stated though you went with your feeling on it and passed. Whats the bad part?...you have a tag in your pocket in a limited area with a at least a two week hunt coming up  ;) . Doesn't sound all that bad haha. Put it behind you and hunt hard and stay persistent. Good luck on the upcoming hunt.

Glad I passed on the rag horn. I was so close to getting a herd bull yesterday. He came in on a string but unfortunatly he came to quick and my partner and I weren't able to get a good set up. Had him at 10yds and no shot. He was a 7x6 and probably grossed about 310". Now I have to wait till this weekend to find him again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back