Problem with my Bugle

KHNC

Aug 4, 2017
Hopefully one of you pros here can help me out. The last few evenings, right at prime time, I have been out on my porch practicing my bugle. Ive been making some sweet sounds thru the tube. Even some nasty screams, mixed with some lovely cow talk. I got to thinking last night, I haven\'t had a single response!!! Not even so much as a courtesy reply! What am I doing wrong? I`m afraid that when I get out to NM all the bulls will ignore me. ITs very frustrating! :help2:

By the way , I am in Western NC. There are elk within 50 miles of me, not sure what the issue is. :help2: :crazy:

Maybe, just maybe the elk are just a bit out of range of your calls but I bet if you get one in range he\'ll make the hair stand up on the back of your neck... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And to think is only 4 more months or so till you can find out... :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

\"Ol\' Arky\" said:
Maybe, just maybe the elk are just a bit out of range of your calls but I bet if you get one in range he\'ll make the hair stand up on the back of your neck... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And to think is only 4 more months or so till you can find out... :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

This ^^^^^^^^^ :eek: :clap:

Maybe I will try and up the volume level a little.

\"KHNC\" said:
\"Ol\' Arky\" said:

This ^^^^^^^^^ :eek: :clap:

Maybe I will try and up the volume level a little.

Maybe just a bit more than a little volume increase may be needed... :dk: :dk:

I think all you need is a decoy !!

That should draw them into range of your calls !! LOL

OR OR you could pull all the grass from your yard and plant alfalfa !!!! A great food source is a must. also make a wallow out in the middle of it all and try it out. Really get in there and roll around in the mud and throw grass and mud in the air. The dirtier you get the more likely chance you\'ll have of attracting a good bull over !!:)

Trav

No need to up the volume. Utilize the wind. Allow it to carry your call. Anything over 10 mph and you should be golden.

\"Wapiti\" said:

OR OR you could pull all the grass from your yard and plant alfalfa !!!! A great food source is a must. also make a wallow out in the middle of it all and try it out. Really get in there and roll around in the mud and throw grass and mud in the air. The dirtier you get the more likely chance you\'ll have of attracting a good bull over !!:)

Trav

Of course you have to pee in your wallow also to get desired effect... :lol: :lol:

I?m no pro but I?ll give you my best explanation.

Commercialization has ruined elk calling. Unlike what you see in the videos, elk don?t come running in or respond to every call. They do come in for two reasons.

1) Instinctually
2) Curiosity

So when calling elk you need to play off one of the two.

Elk instincts can be brown down into two categories. One the basic instinct to breed and two survival. Elk are herd animals and survive better within groups of other elk. But be careful because the survival instinct can also be your down fall.

One thing that can ruin a good calling sequence is portraying something that is not natural or portraying something that an elk would normally not hear in the wild. An example of this would be none stop cow calling for minutes without a break or bugling in May.
?
One thing to remember is that a bugle is nothing more than an elks attempt to announce his/her geographic locations. And yes cows do bugle.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPn9k5GWvzU[/youtube]

Another key point to remember is that you must give them a reason to come in or respond, almost force the encounter. At times this overwhelming urge to come in can be combated by the survival instinct. Example of this is a satellite bull hanging up. Sure they want the lone cow but they have all the time in the world to hang out at a far and try to get a look first.

So did those elk hear you? Sure they did! But let me ask this question, why would they respond and what did you do to force the encounter.

My 2-cents and worth nothing more.

JF

\"Wapiti\" said:

Trav

Only issue with this is I have a pretty good sized heifer living next door. I`d hate to lure her in too close! :train: :eek:

\"JohnFitzgerald\" said:

Commercialization has ruined elk calling. Unlike what you see in the videos, elk don?t come running in or respond to every call. They do come in for two reasons.

1) Instinctually
2) Curiosity

Elk instincts can be brown down into two categories. One the basic instinct to breed and two survival. Elk are herd animals and survive better within groups of other elk. But be careful because the survival instinct can also be your down fall.

One thing that can ruin a good calling sequence is portraying something that is not natural or portraying something that an elk would normally not hear in the wild. An example of this would be none stop cow calling for minutes without a break or bugling in May.
?
One thing to remember is that a bugle is nothing more than an elks attempt to announce his/her geographic locations. And yes cows do bugle.

Another key point to remember is that you must give them a reason to come in or respond, almost force the encounter. At times this overwhelming urge to come in can be combated by the survival instinct. Example of this is a satellite bull hanging up. Sure they want the lone cow but they have all the time in the world to hang out at a far and try to get a look first.

So did those elk hear you? Sure they did! But let me ask this question, why would they respond and what did you do to force the encounter.

JF

Now John, you seem like a very knowledgeable fellow. And In any other instance, I would heed your very informative reply. However, in this case, I feel you may have overlooked the slight bit of \"satire\" in my post.

I hope this in no way affects your future willingness to share the knowledge from your years of elk chasing experience. :angle:

\"Ol\' Arky\" said:
\"Wapiti\" said:

Trav

Of course you have to pee in your wallow also to get desired effect... :lol: :lol:

So, are you thinking Bud Light or one of the IPA`s? May need to prep for this part. :D

\"KHNC\" said:
\"JohnFitzgerald\" said:

1) Instinctually
2) Curiosity

?

JF

Now John, you seem like a very knowledgeable fellow. And In any other instance, I would heed your very informative reply. However, in this case, I feel you may have overlooked the slight bit of \"satire\" in my post.

I hope this in no way affects your future willingness to share the knowledge from your years of elk chasing experience. :angle:

I did miss your satire. :lol:

Knowledgeable...ha. I only know enough to get in trouble. :upthumb:

\"KHNC\" said:
\"Wapiti\" said:

Trav

Only issue with this is I have a pretty good sized heifer living next door. I`d hate to lure her in too close! :train: :eek:

Are you talking heifer heifer or are you talking heifer??? There is a difference... :D :D Even Wikipedia doesn\'t know the kind of \"heifer\" I\'m referring to... :dk: :dk: You ain\'t worried about the heifer wallowing in the wallow with you are you???? :p :p

As for the \"peein\' in the wallow\" deal, you could invite your neighbors just to add seasoning for the desired effect... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

With your bugling expertise, I\'m willing to bet they are coming in silent to your calls. Try the Hyper Hippy Hot Chick call. That never fails to get them talking.

\">>>---WW---->\" said:
With your bugling expertise, I\'m willing to bet they are coming in silent to your calls. Try the Hyper Hippy Hot Chick call. That never fails to get them talking.

As I im not that far from the Asheville Hipster area, I would bet you are correct. This could be an interesting outcome!

\"Ol\' Arky\" said:
\"KHNC\" said:
\"Wapiti\" said:

Trav

Are you talking heifer heifer or are you talking heifer??? There is a difference... :D :D Even Wikipedia doesn\'t know the kind of \"heifer\" I\'m referring to... :dk: :dk: You ain\'t worried about the heifer wallowing in the wallow with you are you???? :p :p

As for the \"peein\' in the wallow\" deal, you could invite your neighbors just to add seasoning for the desired effect... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Im gonna need a BIGGER wallow!!

Though I live in NM for now, I\'m from NC. Where do you live in NC that has elk that close? I thought they were just in KY for now?

\"ltsheets\" said:
Though I live in NM for now, I\'m from NC. Where do you live in NC that has elk that close? I thought they were just in KY for now?

I live in Hendersonville NC. The elk are at Cataloochie. Near Maggie Valley and Cherokee area. There may a limited draw for 4 tags in the 2017 season. It is being discussed now. There are barely deer near my actual home. Plenty of bears tho. lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back