Quiver on or off? Pack on or off?

Lark Bunting

Sep 14, 2016
When you are hunting and in a setup, do you leave your quiver on your bow or do you take it off?

How about your pack?

I never take my quiver off while hunting and practice with it 100% of the time.

I shoot regularly with my pack on so I am used to how how it feels. I make sure I don't have crap hanging off my left shoulder (hydration hose for example).

I have buddies that take their pack off at every setup, which has left them without their rangefinder, windicator, etc.

I watched a video of Shockey's daughter shooting her first bear and she shot too far forward, Jim was telling her to, "get another arrow, GET ANOTHER ARROW!!!" but her quiver was on the ground next toher feet. What's the point of not having the quiver on the dang bow unless you're hunting from a tree stand?

Anyway, thoughts?

Quiver on and pack on, at least most times. I never take the quiver off. I've been dumb enough to set my pack down before and have to come back for it. When all of your survival gear, food, and water are in that pack, it's simply not worth leaving it somewhere in my opinion.

I practice a lot of shooting with my pack on and almost all my shooting is with my quiver on.

If I'm set up in a spot where I am going to sit and ambush an elk, my pack is off and quiver is on. 

That changes though if I'm in a tree stand or some type of ground blind. 

Then pack is off and quiver is off. 

If I'm out walking around or running and gunning, pack is on and quiver is on.  I MAY drop the back to close in the final bits of a stalk,  but it's not always the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quiver is always on, practice or hunting.

Usually Saturday morning shoots are full gear from top to bottom and shoot standing and kneeling. That's generally the only day I practice with my pack on but rarely take it off to set up while hunting.

Quiver on, pack off.
I have the quiver on incase I need another shot. My pack is off in case I need to walk a bit or move a bit. I don't want it hitting branches along the way or snagging on something if I have to move. I haven't walked off without it.....yet. I'm sure that I will at some point.

MT_mulies said:
Quiver on, pack off.
I have the quiver on incase I need another shot. My pack is off in case I need to walk a bit or move a bit. I don't want it hitting branches along the way or snagging on something if I have to move. I haven't walked off without it.....yet. I'm sure that I will at some point.

Same here

For me quiver and pack are always gone. One of my first packs was a coyote tan Eberlestock.  One day I was stalking river bottom deer. Saw a bruiser of a buck in some briar and low standing willow. Set my pack down so it would scrape or rattle any trees. Needless to say in the rush of "buck fever" I thought I knew where I was when I set it down....I was wrong.  It blended in with the waist high grass so well it took me an hour of head scratching cussing and doing laps to finally found it. After that I haven't ever taken it off unless I'm in my blind or choose to utilize a tree stand

Also the quiver stays on. Muscle memory makes me always reach for an arrow without looking. If I ever had the chance or need to get one nocked again and I set it down I'd be pretty mad at myself.  I look at is as if your a rifle hunter or pack a pistol would you put your extra ammo in an inaccessible place. I had a buddy carry three extra rounds and double rubber and them in his pocket so they wouldn't make noise. Turns out when he needed them to make a long distance shot, his fumbling with the rounds and the rubber band allowed that. Uley to gain an extra 5-600 yards in zero time.  He would've had a trophy. Now he had his wife custom sew loops on his clothing on pack so that will never happen again hahaha.  We made him a shirt following year at camp that said "got Ammo?"  He chuckled and then threw it in the fire !!!  ;D

Quiver off pack on.
I set my pack down once and it took me a long time finding it again. Where I hunt is pretty much all scrub oak and everything looks the same.
I hunted whitetails out of tree stands for 30 years before I started elk hunting and all ways took my quiver off so I practice with it off. I have practiced with it on and I shoot fine with it on but it just don't feel right to me.

I personally use a Cat Quiver which is a brand of packs that have a quiver attached to the pack. I took the quiver and attached it to my EXO pack last year and the dual combo worked awesome.

Now I always have my pack and quiver and its always on while hunting..........it all comes off for nap time though !! LOL

Trav

Quiver and bugle tube on pack off. I don't run a stabilizer so quiver w arrows helps add weight and counteracts nerves. I always have my binos, rangefinder, and bugle on me.  Missed out on a monster one years when I left my bugle sitting on my pack 5 yards away, never again!

I learned the hard way to practice how you would do it in the filed.  Missed an elk do to shooting in an uncomfortable way. 

Bow quiver stays on, that's why it's there. If (?) it's a good setup, the pack comes off...BUT the rangefinder, calls, windicator, InReach, and GPS stay with me in a AGC bino case....AFTER I make a waypoint with the GPS.
Like Kdkehoe, I've done some backpack searching...and like the famous quote...
"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

Quiver always on, pack can go either way.  Usually if solo the pack will stay on so I won't hesitate to move any distance if I need to fast.  Windicator, rangefinder, and calls are always on me not the pack. 

I use a fanny pack without shoulder straps.  Benefits is that it does not influence my upper body movement for shooting.  Low profile for walking through thick woods and to some extent crawling.  Backpack or shoulder straps hold jacket/clothes close to body and they won't breathe, causing sweat build up, or I have to walk slower to prevent sweat buildup.  Forces you to only carry what you need, versus carrying extra weight and bulk you don't need.  Negatives are you can't really carry extra luxury items when you would like to.  Can't pack any meat on that first load out.  Pack is plump full.

Quiver on. Pack is usually off for setups but i can shoot with it on if I get the opportunity.

lang said:
Quiver always on, pack can go either way.  Usually if solo the pack will stay on so I won't hesitate to move any distance if I need to fast.  Windicator, rangefinder, and calls are always on me not the pack.
x2

Being a "eastern" hunter (albeit in south Arkansas but style is still eastern) In a tree stand we've always had our bags and quivers off.

However after getting the tight spot quiver this year I'm pretty sure I'm going to leave it on as it balances my bow better

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back