raingear

wyo_atl

Aug 5, 2016
in two years of elk hunting, I've only had to wear rain gear for one afternoon, but I think it's something I should put a little money in to, just in case.  I am looking to keep my budget around 120 for both pants and a jacket. I am wanting to take a closet look at the kings camo climatex suit. any other suggestions, or anything used out there?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm not totally clear on if you mean $120 combined (so $60 per piece?) or if you mean 120$ for both pants and jacket (meaning $120 per piece). If it's the latter I would take a hard look at kuiu's teton line. I don't have any, only have seen it but it's pretty good stuff if youdon't intend on "living in it".

If you mean $120 for the total set it gets a little more complicated. There's not alot of quality options out there in that price range. Maybe someone else can chime in...

I am talking 120 total. I am heading to sportsman's after work to take a look at the kings camo climatex. right around 100 for both.

Might look around on the internet..... when Russell went out of business you could get their rain gear for $30-40 per piece. It didn't belong in the same conversation as sitka, kuiu, etc... but for what it sounds like your looking for, it would probably serve the purpose. It had taped seams and all. For the $$$ it was pretty decent. Might still be able to find an online retailer unloading their last pieces...

I just purchased rain gear from Gander Mountain online. They have a special going for an extra 30% off right now. I havent received it yet so i can't speak on the quality but reviews seemed to be decent. I was kind of in the same boat as you as far as price i was willing to spending. Check out the link. I'll update post once i receive gear on the 10th.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Guide-Series-Mens-Pack-Camo-Rain-Jacket&i=883584

I recently went through the same decision making process this spring in order to be ready for bow season. I looked at all the options worth spending my money on and I feel confident with my decision. If you are on a budget but want something that is worth buying look into getting some military issue goretex. I can't speak to it for hunting as I haven't tested it yet, but I know the older style worked well when I was in the Marines.  The quality seems sufficient and you can pick up trousers and a jacket for around $120-130 if you are patient and keep an eye open on eBay, which is where I got mine. I found that there are at least two manufacturers who are making the newer stuff and one is heavier duty than the other. I actually wanted the lighter weight version to carry around and bought the more robust version initially but sold it in order to get the lighter version. Do a  search for USGI GEN 3 Level 6 goretex in the multicam pattern, which is actually very effective in my opinion. Good luck.

Camofire recently had some core4element rain gear on sale. I have some and really like it; good quality n compressible, sometimes if they have extra you can call customer service n they will give u the past deals

I saw that on camofire yesterday, unfortunately not in my size.

I've wrestled with this question for a while to and finally got a good packable jacket from Kryptek at one of the Sports Authority going out of business sales.  For just a day or two out of 2 years of hunting, I agree you don't need to spend $$$.  Just need to be aware that the polyester construction will probably be noisy during and after the rain with the trees dripping down on you. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back