Range Finder Needed or just extra weight?

Bigrax82

Dec 28, 2012
I am wondering if a range finder is helpful or just another expensive gadget adding more weight to your hunt? If they are a goodbuy what is a good one?

I have consistently underestimated the distance when those huge beasts are in front of me, so I carry one without any regrets.  I also practice ranging trees, rocks, stumps and then check them with the rangefinder.  It only takes one time of watching your arrow sail over or under one and then your buddy shows you that you 10+ yards off in your pin choice to make the commitment to using one from now on.

I think it all depends on what kind of hunting you do.  me personally here in western Oregon, I rely on some longer range hunting. I love the Leica 1600. I've tried all others including Swarovski and leupold , and he Leica can't be beat.

I agree with RMHi....sometimes I don't have time to pull it out and use it, but when I have an extra 30 seconds, it sure gives me a sense of security knowing how far it is to a distant tree or rock. When the bull steps out next to it and I know it's 43 yards, I'm far more confident in my shot!

I have used several different rangefinders, and I really like the new Vortex rangefinder.

I'll go with an abosolute needed here.  If you are in steep country I feel the yardages are deceptive.  I would rather know than quess if given the opportunity.

Just my 2 cents!!

Won't go without my nikon 440. I practice with it to get the mental range finder up to date but, after this year and many missed opportunities because of not using it or not having it, its coming with me from now on.

Wouldn't go without it. Usually don't get to use it right before the shot, but I am always ranging different objects to get landmark distances.

For me confidence is key!  Just knowing the yardage helps that much more!!  For smaller animals, the difference of a couple of yards can be a killing shot or a wounded animal Different angles can mess with your guess too!  Another reason I carry one is the difference in body size between antelope, deer, and elk can mess with your judgment!     

I like to carry it. Helps in closing distances to animals on a stalk; and angles, weather, and fatigue play in to you judging distance without one.

I bow hunted for over 20 years without a rangefinder, but after misjudging one to many deer I bought an inexpensive (under $100.00) Simmons rangefinder a year ago. I now consider it a high value tool that adds confidence. there are some minor disadvantages: one more thing to take, one more motion to make. but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

After reading all these posts its pretty clear I should pick one up. What is a good one for under $200?

I have a Nikon Riflehunter 550 which you can get on ebay around that price or slightly higher.  It's good for bowhunting and rifle but not for long range rifle.  Although I've not tried many others and bought it based on others recommendations 2 yrs ago and like it.

To me it is a few ounces of confidence. I always carry my rangefinder.
Bushnell 600 small and compact, perfect for my bowhunting needs
KJ

I have the same rangefinder as COLOelkman. Its a great rangefinder. It only goes out to 550 yards, but I don't shoot anything farther than that with my rifle even so its a nice rangefinder. It also has ARC so it accounts for up and down hill angles.

Definitely worth it! As most have said, it gives a sense of confidence.  If you can hunt with a partner and they are calling for you it only takes a few seconds to scope out trees/brush in your shooting lanes.  Sometimes things happen fast and the bool doesn't come in where you think BUT sometimes he steps out from a tree you ranged at 30 and you know the distance!! I have a Nikon Riflehunter 550, works GREAT!

I have the Nikon Archer's Choice and the angle compensation is a must have in the terrain that I hunt.  Last year, my buddy and I were coming down a really steep mountain in the timber and he suddenly saw a 5 pt below him.  We didn't get a shot but thought he was about 50 yards as the crow flies, but with the angle compensator after the fact, it said 27 yards.  We would have missed him by a country mile!

Definately worth the extra weight, I always carry my Leica 1200. One of these days I will upgrade it to the newer style. Cant beat that Leica. Rain doesnt bother it , Ive had lesser range finders and seems they get water inside and quit working in rainy western washington.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back