Range Finder Needed or just extra weight?

If you are archery hunting most people need one. If you think you can nail it without a RF then go shoot a 3-D shoot or two and you will see just how good you really are. I think most gun hunters in the mountains cannot estimate yardages past a couple of hundred yards. Some have the discipline to only take calculated shots but most do not.
Just as important as knowing how far is understanding wind if you are shooting past 300 yards or so. A stiff crosswind will cause to you miss or gut shoot an elk way out there.

After leaving my rangefinder in the truck and having an opportunity to harvest a nice 6x6 and miss judging the distance, I will NEVER leave my rangefinder again.  In the steep country distance is deceiving and it never hurts to use one.  It could mean the difference of going home empty handed or going home with the elk of your dreams.

i have the bushnell chuck adams edition and it i like it alot. It has ARC and i have had it out to 700 yards. picked it up on sale at cabelas for $150.

I use the Nikon 550, for the price it is great, don't forget the Dead on range finder
http://www.deadonrangefinder.com/ it is fast easy to use, and they have a military discount. I use them both. ;D

How accurate is the dead-on range finder? Does it work good in the field or just look nice in an add? - Like the military discounts  :)

I have a Bushnell 800.  It is the Chuck Adams edition and works great for archery and my uses.  I found it on sale for 149.99.  The archer's choice is also a great one and if you get the Archer's Choice Max it has glass in it with light assistance for low light conditions, but will cost just a tad more.  If you are looking long range there is nothing in that price range imo that would fit the bill.  If using for archery you can find lots at reasonable prices.

the better I get at estimating ranges the better hunter I feel I am. I have one in my pocket and pull it out everytime I take a break or stop for a while. Range all the lanes and objects. Guessing first then seeing how good I am. I use nikon 400 that is about 5 years old. Nice, but not good in low light conditions.

I installed a dead on range finder on my sight for close range. 2 years ago a bull jumped up from under my feet, when I got him stopped I knew that he had to be at least 30 yards or more, ended up he was under 20 when I checked where he was with the range finder. Still use the RX II range finder for longer ranges when I have time

Back