Recommend a tree stand?

ABQ_Chica

Jan 2, 2013
I\'ll be ordering Swede\'s book on hunting elk from a tree stand, but also wanted to pick your brains about which tree stands to start looking at. I have a harness that fits properly, but am clueless about stands. The friends I\'m hunting with use hang-on stands, as the trees are often too gnarly for climbers. So far, the Lone Wolf and Summit stands come highly recommended, but do you all have any thoughts? Also, are there any tree-climbing sticks you recommend?
Thanks in advance!

The millennium m100 is light and very comfortable. It\'s pretty easy to hang due to the mounting hub. If the trees you\'ll be climbing has lots of limbs it\'s that much better. That way you can hang your bow and things away from you so you don\'t have to hold them all day. The more comfortable, the longer you will stay put and less fidgeting and moving around you\'ll do. The side straps give you a little security feeling while sitting in it.

I got an m150 last year, which is the larger version. I got it mainly because it has a leveler, but it\'s too much to pack for the benefits and the extra foot room is just wasted space to me.
I also got a 4 pack of lone wolf climbing sticks. I\'m probably going to sell both, the single steps on the lone wolf sticks need double steps and are heavier than need be. I\'m going to get some aluminum rapid rails for sure, I\'ve used them before.

The rapid rails are a little bulky but your feet won\'t slip off the sides of the steps when skirting around the tree. This is important when hanging the stand.

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.ebay.com/itm/Millennium-M100-Hang-On-Fixed-Position-Deer-Hunting-Tree-Stand-/290794555961\">http://www.ebay.com/itm/Millennium-M100 ... 0794555961</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ameristep-Aluminum-Rapid-Rail-Set-4-Pack-New-Steps-Stand-Accessories-Stands-Tree-/271362579994?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2e785e1a\">http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ameristep-Alumi ... 3f2e785e1a</a><!-- m -->

No experience with elk hunting, but I\'ve done some deer hunting from stands. I really like my ladder stand except it would be a man killer to pack very far in. I\'ve sat some hang on stands also, but I definitely feel safer in the ladder stand. What ever you choose, wear a harness!

I am a firm believer in the Millennium M100. The ease of hanging it makes it safer than many you have to reach around the tree or go up off the low side just to connect the strap. I want my stand facing where it gives be the best shooting opportunity and I want to go up on the easy side to climb the tree. The M100 keeps things simple. On mine I cut the chain so I could put in an extra master link. If locking the stand up is important then I need an extra lock or I need to use the extra chain hanger I purchased, so I could have two trees rigged for quick portability.

Thanks for all of the advice. The Millenium100 stand looks great, and I like the flip-up seat. The rapid rails look like the answer to my prayers. I\'m a weenie about heights, so the idea of a \"ladder\" style climb makes scaling a tree much less intimidating.

I\'m hoping to get a stand soon to overcome my fear of heights at the local archery ranges (wearing a harness and w/other people present) before heading out into the field later this year.

If you have any other tree stand/tree climbing advice, I\'m all ears. Thanks again!

I have the cheapest stands I can buy.
I get them Sportsmans Guide, stand and 20\' ladders sticks and harness for ~$60.
I dont sit in them for long hours like Swede does, so I compromise some comfort for lightweight and inexpensive in case they get stolen.

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-climbing-stick-and-tree-stand-combo.aspx?a=552579\">http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/g ... x?a=552579</a><!-- m -->

I have 5 of them

Almost all these loc-on type stands are flat back, meaning you want to find a tree that is level at the location you will hang it or that\'s leaning back, they are very uncomfortable to be leaning forward. It feels like you are trying to get pushed off the stand, not to mention it makes a very long sit.
With just a time or two using it you will learn how to look at the trees looking for limb layout (shooting alleys), maybe a bulge in the right location to set the lower fork on to kick the bottom forward just a bit and at the best height.
Also I recommend to mount it at a location where your bow can be hung from the tree limb in as close to shooting position as possible, most of these loc-ons don\'t come with a bow holder mounted directly to the stands. It\'s hard to find a tree with ALL these features at that perfect location, but some times you get lucky.

No matter which stand you get practice at ground level a few times so you can set the seat height for optimal comfort and to understand the quirks it instead of while your hanging onto limbs at height. I usually hang the steps one at a time and have a parachute cord on my belt to loop over a limb above where I\'m going to mount the stand. It\'s a lot easier to lift up the stand and use the friction of the string to help support the stand while maneuvering around.

Compared to climbers and ladder stands, Loc-ons are really more a PITA to set up, but they shine in versatility. In my experience with all 3 types it is also the easiest to fall out of. Don\'t cut corners, don\'t be afraid of it, don\'t get in a rush to set it up or get in it, learn how it works and use that harness correctly.

If you go with rapid rail, aluminum is lightest and I do recommend them over the steel ones and go ahead and get 4. You\'ll find places where you will have to \"walk\" them around limbs in a zig zag pattern to get where you want to be. This eats up ur height pretty quickly.

Cnelk has a good point, if you buy a nice stand there\'s really no way you can secure it from walking off if someone wants it bad enough. I think the m100 still comes with a chain so the mounting block can be locked but the stand itself just lifts off the block. I know the M150 comes with a ratchet strap which I don\'t care for at all. If you going to let It hang in the woods a couple days you could always take down the last 3 steps, at least as a deterrent.

Keep us posted, be safe and post us some pics of your big bull!

First and foremost is a safety harness that you connect to from the GROUND so you\'re secure all the way up and back down. Get an icy step and you\'ll wish you had as your chin bounces off each step on your way down!

I don\'t pack this gear in too terribly far so weight may be a little heavier than you\'d like.

Climbing sticks: I have some similar to the Big Game quick sticks from Cabelas. I think mine were made by API but not 100%. Personally, I like having a step on each side of the main stick instead of being staggered every other side. I\'ve got long legs so the distance between steps isn\'t bad but it\'s more of a comfort thing and not having to think about which foot to start with when getting down. Got 2 sets of these - 4 pieces goes up 16\' total.

Hang on stands: One is similar to the Ol\' Man The Roost from Cabelas. I really like the arm rests for a long sit. On mine, the seat and arm rests go up together so if you stand up you can just push the seat up and back(assuming the tree isn\'t wider than the arm rests). Drawback is limited shooting area if you\'re sitting because of the arm rests blocking some area. Another plus for me is the foot rest. I tend to start fidgeting and the foot rest keeps your legs from going to sleep or you can at least alter your sitting position. My other hang on is similar to the M100 others have posted but it has an older T-screw design used to sit the stand down on before ratching it to the tree. Cumbersome but secure once in place.

Hints: Buy a couple of bicycle hanging hooks and put in each tree for your bow and incidentals within close reach. Know the time of year you\'ll be hunting - I put up a stand a few years back in the most ideal spot in August/September in Oklahoma only to go back in November after the leaves have dropped and I was sitting wide open in a bare tree! Don\'t drink too much tea/coffee/water in the morning for obvious reasons. Since your handle has \"chica\" in it, I didn\'t think appropriate to include a large gatorade bottle on the list!

Stands can creak some too. Found a wrap of electrical tape helps quiet down some.

Good luck!

Russ

Thanks for the recommendations and advice everyone. After getting tons of input, I went with a Millennium 100U stand and aluminum Rapid Rails. I think together they weigh between 25 and 30 lbs, which is a bit heavy, but I\'m already working on carrying twice that much for practice.

I already have a harness, so now I\'ll get acquainted with everything near ground level before scaling a real tree.

And yep, I\'m a \"chica,\" so I\'ll ease up on coffee and liquids in the early AMs. But they do make devices that allow women to um...answer a certain call of nature the same way men do, so I\'ll have a gatorade bottle with me. If NM ever gets a real winter again, I\'ll even write my name in the snow. :D

Along with your harness you should look into getting a lifeline, which will keep you tethered from the ground to the stand.
I purchased a set of 3 and used these in all of my stands that were hung up.
Cheap insurance in case of a slip during ascent or descent. There is a bunch of information for making one, just do a google search for treestand lifeline.
Here\'s a link to a decent PDF for making one http://gnsc-amboy.com/Documents/General_Docs/TheLifeLine.pdf
Stay safe :upthumb:

\"cnelk\" said:
I have the cheapest stands I can buy.
I get them Sportsmans Guide, stand and 20\' ladders sticks and harness for ~$60.
I dont sit in them for long hours like Swede does, so I compromise some comfort for lightweight and inexpensive in case they get stolen.

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-climbing-stick-and-tree-stand-combo.aspx?a=552579\">http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/g ... x?a=552579</a><!-- m -->

I have 5 of them

X2...but I only have 3 of these. I\'m so cheap :oops:

Anything is better than the old wooden stands I used to build and hunt from.

I\'m hunting pigs from one of the stands from Sportsman\'s Guide this evening...

I would have thought it would have weighted in a little less than that all together. hopefully you can get some scouting in beforehand and you might not require to carry all four of the sections. Think they weight in at 3# per section plus strap(i\'m sure they don\'t add that strap in the advertised weight). At any rate hopefully you\'ll be pleased with the combination, let us know your thoughts.

The M100U shows to be 20% lighter that the regular M100 on their website does it still come with the chain on the receiver block or does it have a ratchet strap?

For elk hunting, I backpack in. I use a Loggy Bayou Cheap Seat. These stands are no longer made, but I have found them on Ebay. Not the most comfortable stand, but about the lightest ever made. I use screw in steps instead of rail sections. If you are hunting close to a road or have motorized help of some sort, then weight isn\'t much of an issue. However, for me, weight is the number ONE issue!

>>>>-------->

ABQ_Chica, that was funny!! :)

My wife hunts with me and I\'m aware of the \"devices\" just didn\'t want to be offensive. Does seem a little more difficult for women so be careful should nature come calling while in the stand!

\"Bob Frapples\" said:
The M100U shows to be 20% lighter that the regular M100 on their website does it still come with the chain on the receiver block or does it have a ratchet strap?

The M100U weighs 11.5 lbs, and the rapid rails are about 13 lbs altogether, so the whole enchilada clocks in right around 25# -- a bit lighter than I thought. For practice sessions during scouting, I\'ll carry the whole setup in and out. We\'ll hang stands a week or two before season opens, so I\'ll only have to carry in the rapid rails on opening day. I\'ll also jerry-rig some kind of locking device so the stand doesn\'t walk off during that time.

Oh, and the M100U comes with a chain on the receiver block. Is a ratchet strap better, or worse?

\"Curvebow\" said:
For elk hunting, I backpack in. I use a Loggy Bayou Cheap Seat. These stands are no longer made, but I have found them on Ebay. Not the most comfortable stand, but about the lightest ever made. I use screw in steps instead of rail sections. If you are hunting close to a road or have motorized help of some sort, then weight isn\'t much of an issue. However, for me, weight is the number ONE issue!
>>>>-------->

I was looking for a light stand til the friends I\'ll be hunting with said we\'ll likely be in our stands almost all day, so getting something comfortable seemed worth it. I think they use the screw-in steps/pegs though. I\'m a weenie about climbing/heights, and this will be my first time, so they thought the rails might be better for now. This year rails, next year pegs? A girl can dream...

\"Colorado Russ\" said:
ABQ_Chica, that was funny!! :)
My wife hunts with me and I\'m aware of the \"devices\" just didn\'t want to be offensive. Does seem a little more difficult for women so be careful should nature come calling while in the stand!

That\'s okay. :) Yeah...that\'s yet another thing I\'ll have to practice. It\'s tricky enough on the ground, much less on a tiny platform 20 feet in the air!
It\'s great your wife hunts. I hope you both draw, or at least make it out some this year!

\"Colorado_Lew\" said:
Along with your harness you should look into getting a lifeline, which will keep you tethered from the ground to the stand.
I purchased a set of 3 and used these in all of my stands that were hung up.
Cheap insurance in case of a slip during ascent or descent. There is a bunch of information for making one, just do a google search for treestand lifeline.
Here\'s a link to a decent PDF for making one http://gnsc-amboy.com/Documents/General_Docs/TheLifeLine.pdf
Stay safe :upthumb:

Thanks! I was wondering about that. I\'ll make or buy a lifeline before heading out.

\"ABQ_Chica\" said:
Oh, and the M100U comes with a chain on the receiver block. Is a ratchet strap better, or worse?

Probably personal preference but with that chain, you\'ll never have to worry with squirrels chewing on it nor the sunlight degrading it in a few years if left in the elements. The straps can be tightened up but it\'s kinda redundant if that stand comes with the lower straps too.
Just realize on initial set up when hanging the seat on the mounting block it will \"fall\" just a tiny bit until the chain gets a bite of the tree, then your g2g.

Definitely get a portable climber. You can\'t even leave a hang-on stand up overnight in National Forest legally. I loved hunting with my Ol\' Man climbers in the early 2000\'s. Super comfy, and relatively quiet attachment, without spending $500 on a lone wolf. I have never used a Lone Wolf but they look good if you can afford it. A lot of my buddies in AL switched from Ol\' Man\'s to Treewalkers recently because the quality is better for the same price.
Make sure you pack a limb saw, these CO trees are super limby on the way up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back