Ripcord or QAD HD rests?

Reedjj

Dec 30, 2012
Have a QAD HD now. It has been great but given the similarities between the two was wondering if the ripcord works just as well. Any thoughts or anyone compare the two?

After looking at both side by side and playing with them, I picked the Ripcord. Not enough, if any advantages to the QAD to make it work the extra money.  Honestly, I had a tougher time picking between the Ripcord and the Trophy Ridge Revolution. The revolution seems like a really good theory, just haven't shot it or known anyone that has, so I didn't want to buy it and not like it. Haven't had a single problem with the Ripcord so far and I hunt really thick stuff that is hard on bows.

The only thing I like about the QAD more is that if you let down the rest stays up where the Rip Cord the rest will drop.  That being said I shot the Rip Cord and have not had any problems withit at all.

I prefer the QAD HD. I found it to be easier to set up and tune, and of course the no drop on a slow let down feature.

I have been shooting the rip cord for years and it is a great rest.  I think if I was going to get another rest it would be the quad hdx.  it would be nice to have the rest stay up on let down

Love my QAD rest especially how the guard stays up. When I nock an arrow in the field I press the guard up and don't have to worry about the arrow coming off the rest while climbing around/over etc.

My local archery shop will talk you out of the ripcord and into the QAD. They have repaired countless ripcords. They have a burr on them that cuts the string.  The owner of the shop had this happen on a backcountry hunt and had to come out early.

I've been thinking about a QAD rest for my new bow, can anyone comment on noise of the rest if there is any?

Thanks
KJ

Elk2 said:
My local archery shop will talk you out of the ripcord and into the QAD. They have repaired countless ripcords. They have a burr on them that cuts the string.  The owner of the shop had this happen on a backcountry hunt and had to come out early.

Elk2,
I'm having a hard time understanding how the ripcord with a burr would come into contact with the string and thus cut it?  Is it the string that controls the rest or the bowstring?

kjdouble said:
I've been thinking about a QAD rest for my new bow, can anyone comment on noise of the rest if there is any?

Thanks
KJ

The only noise you should hear is the slight click when the launcher locks into the upright position.

Ripcord actually addressed the burr issue and the new models are not doing that. Mine is still in great shape. I find myself watching it because I heard of the issue, but I have no reason to. The cord still looks new.

Elk2 said:

I have never heard or experienced that and I've had a ripcord for years.  never had to replace the string, maybe I just got lucky

sumnerhorses said:
Ripcord actually addressed the burr issue and the new models are not doing that. Mine is still in great shape. I find myself watching it because I heard of the issue, but I have no reason to. The cord still looks new.
That's good to know. Thanks for the update.

First post!!!! I've shot both Ripcord (Code Red) and currently have the HDx on my bow(Insanity). Love both! This is what I've notice, on both. Because Ripcord is a "true" drop away, meaning the rest drop from let down of the bus cable and HDx by essentially shock of your bow string, using the Ripcord actually gain me 7-8 fps faster then the HDx. The Ripcord drops sooner thus less arrow and rest containment. This might also help folks with not ideal form too, but who would admit that! That being said, reason I made the switch is for several reasons. Big reason was obviously the rest staying up after a slow let down.  This feature is ideal for elk hunter, being that we're on the ground hunting and at close quarter, having your arrow contain and not have that dreadful arrow/riser bounce noise, the HDx, sell itself there! Second and third reasons are the dampering system and non-bounce back feature. Ripcord is lacking in this aspect. It may drop sooner, but what good is it, if it still bounce back up, granted, it has the lease amount bounce then any other drop away rest, beside the HDx.  Overall, if budget is an issue, can't go wrong with the Ripcord, but if you feel spending $900+ on a bow is not enough, along with all the innovation of the HDx, the QAD Ultra Rest HDx is overall for us elk hunter......and yes first post and it was a long one! ;D

I've had both. Both are nice.  the QAD stays up on slow let down and we all know that tends to happen while elk hunting!  With that said it's QAD HDX all the way.

Well I'm currently shooting a whisker and am looking into one of the two models mentioned.  That being said I was leaning towards the ripcord but there seems to be more of you happy with the Qad hdx....
What does the HDX have that the Qad HD and the QAD do not?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back