scouting trip

Heath74

Jun 27, 2013
Well I spent this weekend camping and scouting with my 3 older kids. After looking at my topos and Google Earth I picked a few spots I wanted to check out. My 12 year old daughter who starts Hunters Ed tonight did 5 miles with me on Sat. I jumped a nice 6x6 Sunday morning at 6:27. I also ran into a sheepherder from Peru. I asked him if he spoke English he said no just Spanish. I thought great I speak fluent Spanish lets see if he has seen any Elk. Since I knew the word of deer and not elk I said I was looking for deer but bigger. His reply was oh "Elka" I said si. He told me that his camp was a mile up the trail and when I got up that morning there were 3 Bulls fighting in the meadow where he was camped. I marked that spot on the map! Here are some pics of the area and the sign. Pic 27 is a meadow 1.2 miles from the main road.

Attachments

• 17.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 25.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 27.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 29.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 200
More pics. As you can see there is plenty of water and the grass is high.

Attachments

• 33.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 31.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 23.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 20.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 207
a few more.

Attachments

• 34.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 35.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 44.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 205
Great report, thanks for sharing. looks like a good area.

also..kudos for taking your daughter, 5 miles isn't easy.

spanky said:
Great report, thanks for sharing. looks like a good area.

also..kudos for taking your daughter, 5 miles isn't easy.

Thanks Spanky,

She had fun, however she freaked when I picked up some fresh Elk poop to show her. Made me laugh!! ;D  She finishes Hunter's Ed this Friday. I got her all Sitka camo as a present for finishing and her 12th Birthday. This year we'll rifle hunt deer together and next year we'll archery hunt for Elk. To bad school is during hunting season or I would always have someone to hunt with!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back