Sent & Scent control

lavacrawler

Dec 30, 2012
Seems here in Idaho the wind changes on ya every couple minutes. I use the whole odor killer sprays and deoderant and scent control camo also, but when the wind is wrong they still get me. Had a fellow elk hunter tell me he keeps his camo in a plastic tote all year and at camp and puts a few cotton balls soaked in elk piss in the tote with them. Seems like a workable idea...
Any one else have some good tips and advice that may work for them on scent control?
Thanks

Having asked this of others with decades of elk archery hunting experience, I no longer go crazy about trying to absolutely eliminate scent as my human scent is always enough to get me busted.  Thus, I am now spending more time on playing the wind and knowing how it is blowing.  I have tried the totes with pine scent, cover scents, Scentblocker clothing, etc.  Now, I use scent free wipes after a day or two of getting stinky, scent free antiperspirant & soap, merino wool and avoid anything that gives off a strong, human scent.

My buddy still can't bring his camo clothing into the house after impregnating them with elk scent ;D .  In the end, our scent is present and elk are going to pick it up, so never ever forget to account for the wind. 

I avoid scented laundry detergents year-round, but save the scent eliminator products for hunting clothes.  When it comes down to it, though-a person must be mindful of the wind and be willing to change the game plan as the wind shifts.  I know there are times when it switches every few seconds; at those times it's a good idea to try to wait it out a bit.  Your odds are better to make a slow sneak on a herd rather than send them into hyper alert mode by broadcasting your presence.  It depends on how much pressure the elk have been under also.  As the previous post stated, you can't entirely be rid of your humanscent no matter what you do.  As for the cover scents, they are also advertising your presence because it is out of the ordinary for the elk.  I'm all about using the Bull Rage when we're battling it out with a bull, but otherwise, I don't want him to know I'm coming.

I have went to the extreme of putting my clothes in a bag with pine bows but mainly use scent away products on a daily basis while hunting. Interesting enough to me I have had elk and deer within a few feet and the wind blowing right at them without getting busted while other times being winded from a hundred yards away. I can't figure it out but I believe the scent away products work well along with playing the wind right.

I use all the scent free methods and try to clean up with scent free soap as often as possible.  I keep some pine branches in the plastic tote with my pack and boots cuz they are a pain to wash and will spray them down with scent eliminator regularly. 

However, I do not prefer using elk urine scents at all.  I tried it in my earlier hunting days and found that if I just get a tiny bit on me I can't smell anything else.  When you hunt thick terrain its very possible to walk within 40 or 50 yds of a bull and not know he's there.  He may not know you're there either.  I can't count how many times I have had the wind change just a tiny bit and suddenly I get a huge wiff of elk - alerting me that I am close and its time to set up before I get stumble into them and get busted.  That's impossible to do if you smell like an elk yourself.  I need every advantage I can get.

farmboy said:
I use all the scent free methods and try to clean up with scent free soap as often as possible.  I keep some pine branches inthe plastic tote with my pack and boots cuz they are a pain to wash and will spray them down with scent eliminator regularly. 

However, I do not prefer using elk urine scents at all.  I tried it in my earlier hunting days and found that if I just get a tiny bit on me I can't smell anything else.  When you hunt thick terrain its very possible to walk within 40 or 50 yds of a bull and not know he's there.  He may not know you're there either.  I can't count how many times I have had the wind change just a tiny bit and suddenly I get a huge wiff of elk - alerting me that I am close and its time to set up before I get stumble into them and get busted.  That's impossible to do if you smell like an elk yourself.  I need every advantage I can get.

Great point about not confusing your own olfactory capabilities by wearing it as well!

playing the wind is most critical.  if you wanna minimize human scent majority is in your hair. ive actually shaved my head just for hunting season.

I do the whole scent wafers and keeping my hunting clothes separate.  One of the biggest things to keep in mind is detergent...make sure not to wash it in some run of the mill detergent (scent free or otherwise).  By this, I mean most laundry detergents (Gain, Downy, Tide, etc...) are developed to increase UV ray brightness on the clothing; this is one of the tools animals use to identify odd objects in their setting...  Detergents like DDW and others are designed NOT toincrease the UV on clothing.

In the grand scheme of things, wind awareness is the most important, in my opinion.

The wind is key. I have never once used any kind of elk or deer scent while hunting. This year I had an elk so close to me that I could have touched here with an arrow. She was less than 4 feet from me and I moved and that is why she ran, not cause she couldn't see or smell me. I was sitting on the side of a hill behind the only sapling on the whole thing.

As many of you have stated, I too believe the wind is the key. One thing to keep in mind...if the elk can smell the scent wafer or urine you sprayed on your boot, they can smell the stench coming off your skin just as well. There is no way to 100% contain or eliminate your scent, and with millions of scent receptacles in their noses, elk are going to be able to pick up on it. I do use scent eliminating sprays to give me an extra degree of advantage, but in no way do I ever think I am scent free or try to approach the elk with the wind going at them.

As noted, you can fool some of their senses, but not the wind....if needed i will take off running if that wind changes and we know it will..

I burn through alot of windicators through the season constantly checking something we have no control of.... 

I just stink too bad in september, I used to spreay down but pretty much gave up on that . Just play the wind. I probably should get back to spraying down a bit, Im sure it helps a little.

I dont  use scent or eliminator have tried them but I do believe a big bull knows the scent of all the other bulls in the area just like a cow knows the scent of her calf,most of the bulls in the area are the sons of the old bull in that area and scent from an elk farm in a diff state is not the same.I think most of the scent coming off a person comes from their breath.I have found hands down the best cover scent is standing in the camp fire smoke before you head out.a scent that every elk out there is familiar with and not afraid of.

turbo1967 said:
I dont  use scent or eliminator have tried them but I do believe a big bull knows the scent of all the other bulls in the area just like a cow knows the scent of her calf,most of the bulls in the area are the sons of the old bull in that area and scent from an elk farm in a diff state is not the same.I think most of the scent coming off a person comes from their breath.I have found hands down the best cover scent is standing in the camp fire smoke before you head out.a scent that every elk out there is familiar with and not afraid of.

I have said the same thing about campfire being a natural smell and I have had people say that animals are afraid of fire smell because that smell is associated with danger from forest fire.  I think it is the best cover scent.  I have had deer within 40 yards downwind of me that never spooked but  I use scent killer also.  After a few days in the backcountry you are going to stink of B.O. and you're going to reek of campfire anyway so there's not much you can do. always play the wind if you can

I always try to take the most steps in being scent free. Keeping them stored away out in the garage, and always spraying down before entering the field. But with all of that I don't think you can ever be 100% scent free and not worry about the wind. But why not try to do all the steps to give you some type of advantage? Like others have said, not matter what play the wind.

I use scent free detergent, stuff my clothes in a sealed dry-bag until I use them, use a few scent-lok garments, and carry the scent wipes...all that stuff.  As someone said before, sometimes I have elk 10 yards down-wind of me, and other times 150 yards and they bolt.
What I DID do a couple years ago that helped alot is carrying an extra shirt in my pack.  We all know that hard hike in the pre-dawn morning will stink anything up.  So I've had a couple of bulls light up quite a ways away, giving me time to wipe myself down and throw a fresh, clean unscented shirt on.  I honestly believe the armpits are the bulk of our stink (and I stink).  A fresh shirt and a clean wipe of my face and torso has allowed me several close <20 yard encounters with elk down-wind, or at least buy me some time.

Mountain Bowhunter said:
turbo1967 said:

I guess I am not sure about this. I have always heard not to have a fire but I have had them at times in the past and not sure if it hurt or helped. We usually do not have a fire until the last night so we can enjoy at least one. Anyone else have a camp fire each night and still find success?

I have said the same thing about campfire being a natural smell and I have had people say that animals are afraid of fire smell because that smell is associated with danger from forest fire.  I think it is the best cover scent.  I have had deer within 40 yards downwind of me that never spooked but  I use scent killer also.  After a few days in the backcountry you are going to stink of B.O. and you're going to reek of campfire anyway so there's not much you can do. always play the wind if you can

You can use all the scents you want, but staying down wind is the number one thing to keep right.  If using scents put them on your shoes and not any other clothing.  That way you don't have to smell them all day and not know if you are smell elk or not.  Cover scents not going to hide your smell to the elk.  Be a hunter and know the American Indian never used any thing other than the wind.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back