Sent & Scent control

Kmbingham92 said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:
turbo1967 said:
I dont  use scent or eliminator have tried them but I do believe a big bull knows the scent of all the other bulls in the area just like a cow knows the scent of her calf,most of the bulls in the area are the sons of the old bull in that area and scent from an elk farm in a diff state is not the same.I think most of the scent coming off a person comes from their breath.I have found hands down the best cover scent is standing in the camp fire smoke before you head out.a scent that every elk out there is familiar with and not afraid of.

I guess I am not sure about this. I have always heard not to have a fire but I have had them at times in the past and not sure if it hurt or helped. We usually do not have a fire until the last night so we can enjoy at least one. Anyone else have a camp fire each night and still find success?

I have said the same thing about campfire being a natural smell and I have had people say that animals are afraid of fire smell because that smell is associated with danger from forest fire.  I think it is the best cover scent.  I have had deer within 40 yards downwind of me that never spooked but  I use scent killer also.  After a few days in the backcountry you are going to stink of B.O. and you're going to reek of campfire anyway so there's not much you can do. always play the wind if you can
here in montana most summers you can smell fire smoke for 2 to 3 months straight and alot of the time that is from a fire 1 or 2 states away not mention the many camp fires that drift up the gultch.and the elk smell this  also but most have never seen fire so the dont relate the smell to danger.its just another normal smell to them.I have had elk more than once so close to me that I have actually reached out and touched them before.can be a little scary.but scares them more i think.

Scent free laundry detergent, a nice camper with a shower so I can come out from spike camp to clean up every few days. some spray to cover up the BO but most importantly stay downwind.  If I could only do one thing it would be stay downwind

I still use the stuff but no matter what if the wind turns against you...you are busted! It might help in a light breeze going across and not directly at them but man if it's just you and them and the breeze it going right at them...forget it...their out of there!

These last few years, i have been using Primos scent eliminating products.  I believe primos products to be at the top of the pack.  That being said, the wind will always have its way with you.  Check the wind often, glass from a distance and for heavens sake, leave the elk piss at home. 

I like to keep my clothes in sealed tubs with pine and sage.  Shower every night, even when packing in.  Tried SWEAT LOC.  NO THANKS !  RULE#1-#10,  you gotta keep the wind in your face!

I spray down and use the scent free detergents, but Elk or even Deer have exellent noses. I go through a lot of bottles of wind check. I constantly check wind.

I will try and pace myself throughout the day as to not sweat to much and change out of my hunting clothes as soon as get to camp. However, I will keep them away from camp to keep them from smelling like camp or food. I will hang them to air dry. Take my boot off and once dry I will put baking soda in the boots. That's about as complicated as I keep it. I believe you can never eliminate all odors, so know your thermals and play the wind.

In my experience, scent is only one piece of the puzzle.  I find that elk and deer can tolerate one of their sense being infringed due to their curiosity.  The often will not run if they hear you, but they will run if they hear and smell you.  They might not run if they smell you until they see you, and they most often see you first and then leave quietly enough that you don't know they were there.
I use scent control sprays and sometimes detergent but not religiously.

Being mindful of the wind direction (i use a "puffer") is definitely your most helpful tactic.  Using this knowledge is also essential for placing yourself or your shooter when calling.  I also use a scent killer spray.  Anyone doubtful of their effectiveness should take a whiff of an old hat, spray it down and re-examine.  The smell will definitely decrease.  My cousin brings strips of an old camo shirt as well.  When you are about 100 yards from your prey have them tied to your backpack, stop and soak the strips in cow urine. this will assist in disguising your scent.  This tactic has allowed me into herds on poor wind days.  Good Luck out there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back