Shoot from your knees

Mark Z

Jan 17, 2013
Why did I not practice shooting from my knees? I did not have the confidence to shoot at 50 yards from a kneeling position. How about all of you? Got some pics of the one that got away?

The bull I shot this year was from my knees, I practice on one knee, sitting on a stump, and from both knees.  I almost never feel comfortable standing when I am setting up for a call.

I am with Alder, especially on longer shots. I do practice the longer shots on my knees, Much more stable, less wobble.

Very cool picture.
I actually shot mine from my knees this year. I try to practice every day I go out to sit or kneel in a different position. I agree with the other post on saying you feel more stable. But sitting on the other hand is a little different. I kept my legs out in front of me in a few scenarios I played out while practicing and the cam on my bow eventually caught me. Tore the skin on my leg, never do that again. I am a right handed shot so when sitting I can only shoot perpendicular to my legs by turning my upper body to the left. Not consistent to the front and really drops of to the right.

Awesome picture. I practice standing on a stump, kneeling, sitting, pretty much any way i can because you never know what your position is going to be when they come charging in.

I practice shooting from a bunch of different positions. I like to practice with my pack and maybe gloves on to get used to pulling back and shooting with what I might be wearing as well.

Shooting from my knees feels very natural to me, basically like shooting standing but shorter in height. I practice on one knee, on both, shooting downhill and uphill, and all of those positions with a pack on.

Can't say I have ever gotten a picture as cool as that one though.

that is a great picture!! I have shot a bull from my knees before but it is a good idea to shoot from different positions as well as shooting during the year with all of you normal hunting gear on so you know your rang on movement ;)

HAHA that is an awesome picture. Made me laugh out loud. Everyone makes mistakes like that. I practice every year shooting from my knees, but I have never shot at one kneeling. I think I do it just to feel more comfortable incase I have to. I prefer standing up at all times. It gives my body more room for contorting (sp?) I feel like when I'm kneeling I can only bend half and twist half as much. So for me standing is the way to go plus if I have to I can take a step in either direction. But I think it is mostly preference and comfortability for each shooter. When I'm practicing. I lay down and draw, I sit and draw/shoot. I lean around imaginary "trees" I do almost situation I can think of happening to me in the hills.

Great pic and I do practice from my knees as the season gets closer but I probably should spend more time shooting in various positions and with all my gear on.

I prefer to shoot from my knees, much more stable and being 6'4" I feel like I'm too visible if I am standing up.  I like to kneel in front of a tree and let my camo do it's job.

ElkManDan said:
I prefer to shoot from my knees, much more stable and being 6'4" I feel like I'm too visible if I am standing up.  I like to kneel in front of a tree and let my camo do it's job.

that's a good strategy, I'm tall also

most of mine are from my knees- not very often standing - makes me feel more secluded and seems to cut my silouette better

I practice standing and on both knees. Really feel more stable on the knees. Also will through a weighted pack on too and fling some arrows for practice.

from my knees allot,dont even like to shoot at all standing up past 60 yards,also practice sitting and shooting from 1 knee,some times you need to shoot over stuff or under stuff.Ilike to be able to shoot from all diff heights.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back