Solo hunting

basco

Jan 4, 2013
I know there are quite a few solo hunters in the forum. When in the field alone. What proven tactics do you exercise to pull in bulls within bow range?
Calling behind me has really been a consistant tactic that gets bulls to come in and not hang up as much.

Have you ever tried "flashing"with the heads up decoy?  I have heard of people doing that with the full body decoys with good success.

I will also call over my shldrwhen engaging bullsand if I think he is coming in, I will move forward another 10-30 yds, depending on cover and how fast  I believe he is coming in. This years bull took 2 hrs to split his cows on a dark northslope and he finally came in to defend his harem offering a 16 yd broadside shot.. I had chased him and his cows for about 1000 yds, often running after them as he pushed them on. Additionally I use raking alot.

Attachments

• P9280601 (640x480).jpg
    170 KB · Views: 5
I will get close to a bull and find a good set up place. Then back up and set the decoy and do a calling sequence. If I have a good feeling about it then I would move forward to the setup location and leave the decoy behind. When they come in the decoy gives them something to focus on behind you.

I archery hunt by myself 90% of the time and I do more of a locate and spot and stalk. I like the idea of the decoy though. I have been very successful with how I hunt but am always willing to try new things.

This year I was fortunate to draw the same tag I had last year and put a bull down! I was by myself and for me here in the SW (NM) water is a huge deal, placing a trail camera gave me the advantage to see what animals where in the area and working there way to pond. I'll tell ya I had tons of wapiti and bears, and opening afternoon put down my first archery bull elk! Point being scouting like a mofo helped out a ton!

Elk2 said:
I archery hunt by myself 90% of the time and I do more of a locate and spot and stalk. I like the idea of the decoy though. I have been very successful with how I hunt but am always willing to try new things.

+1 Elk2

I get in as close as possible without making a sound.....I think that's my best tactic. Once in close I will throw soft sounds behind or to my sides.

What Ghost and JJ said.  Using a decoy and raking trees has worked for me at getting them in a little closer when they are a little shy.

My hunting partner and I usually start out hunting together, but if no elk are seen we split and cover more ground. If the elk are talking then we like to go after seperate bulls, so we end up hunting solo or at least different areas. We do manage to do some hunting together.

I hunt solo more than I care to do, but focus on locate then stalk. I tried for a while to call them in, but I don't seem to have the magic sounds. They always hung up about a hundred yards out or so. So the last couple years have been more calling just to locate.

I do alot of cold calling. I've called in alot of elk while doing this alone. Its a little harder to get a shot, but the opportunity is there.

been bow hunting elk for 33 years and I dont think I have had 2 scenarios exactly the same .I am on my own most of the time,I guess they all think im to crazy to go with or they just cant keep up ;D .I have found that racking a tree while calling works way better than you would expect.

Jeremiah Johnson said:
I will also call over my shldrwhen engaging bullsand if I think he is coming in, I will move forward another 10-30 yds, depending on cover and how fast  I believe he is coming in. This years bull took 2 hrs to split his cows on a dark northslope and he finally came in to defend his harem offering a 16 yd broadside shot.. I had chased him and his cows for about 1000 yds, often running after them as he pushed them on. Additionally I use raking alot.

Man JJ, you and I follow the same "routine"! Lol! Seems like that's what it takes with these North Idaho bulls  :)

I like to locate then move in as close as possible. I will call once I'm within 100 yards or so. That usually get them pretty torqued.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back