Tenzing tz 4000

WapitiKing

Jun 7, 2013
Hey I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this pack now that it has been out for a little bit.  I have been looking for a good day pack with the ability to haul out some meat if necessary and this seems to fit the bill.  I have been looking hard at this and the tz 2220.  Any pros or cons?  Is the tz 4000 worth the extra $150??  I am a stockier guy at around 200lbs but not too tall at around 5'8".  Would both of these packs fit alright? I did get to try both packs on at a local store and they fit fine but obviously I did not get to try them with any weight.  Thanks for any and all help!!!

I have both of those packs. The TZ2220 is my go-to day pack if hunting  from a base camp. It has enough room for me to also throw in my sleeping bag, bivy tent, stove and food for an over night bivy. I walk with this pack everyday 2-3 miles with 40 lbs. in it just staying in shape. It carries the weight awesome.
I use the TZ4000 for up to a week of bivy hunting. It compresses down small enough to be used as a day pack when away from the bivy camp. I have carried 70lbs. in it with no problems. The meat compartment is large enough for an elk front quarter but not a back. So you will need to bone the rest out or come back after the rest with a frame pack.
Both packs should fit you fine. I am 5'9" 185 lbs and have a 34" waste and the belt on the TZ4000 is cinched down about as small as it goes to fit me. I wish they made a smaller size belt for it. All in all I really like both packs.    

Heath pretty much summed up what I would say as well. I used the TZ2220 every day of elk season last fall for day hunts, and it was awesome. All three of us had them and we packed Dirk's bull out in one trip with 2220's. They will carry a decent load for a 3.5 lb pack.

The advantage the TZ4000 has over the 5000 and 6000 is its ability to compress way down for day hunting. For anything over 3-4 days, I need the 5000 (actually 5600 ci) for more capacity, but the TZ4000 is a great multi-purpose pack with a lot of versatility.

All Tenzing packs are currently on sale at the Elk101 Store as well...

http://www.elk101store.com/servlet/the-Tenzing-Backpacks/Categories

Thanks guys, almost every review I've seen on the tz2220 has been awesome.  I do have an alps commander freighter frame with pack that I will use if I'm packing in a camp and I will hunt from there.  It sounds like the 2220 may fit my needs just fine. 

I started a post on this same topic a few months back.  I was really interested in the pack but the main thing that's steering me away is the weight. 7lbs 6 oz is an awful lot for only the pack but ability to haul meat is a definite plus. Can anyone comment on the weight factor?  There are a lot of great packs out there but they come at a price.  If I can be convinced that the weight isn't as big of a factor as I think it is, I might pull the trigger.  Thanks for starting the conversation again!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back