The worst sound you can hear hunting elk

WardDawg7

Jan 27, 2013
After a long week of smoke filled mountains and displaced hunters filled our area we decided to set up in our favorite "Honey hole".  Surly a rag horn or cow will be close as always...  When my partner started the sequence calls and then we heard it.  A wolf howl cut him of as soon as he started,  no more than 70 yards from us.  We were astonished!  We had never seen nor heard wolfs in are area before.  We tried a few wolf howls hoping one might come in but no luck.  It is a very discouraging feeling to know the area we have hunted for years was now infested with wolves.  Now what?

A few year back here in WA a took a bull just before dark. My dad and I needed to walk back to the truck (about a mile) and just before we started walking we heard a sound that neither one of us had ever heard before, it was low growling roar that made the hair stand up on the back of you neck. it was coming from the creek bottom below where my elk was laying. So needless to say I came back to my elk with my pistol just in case whatever made that sound was close by.

I was thinking something more like "look ere boy, you sure do hav a purdy mouth" but I come from the mountains.... ;)

Wolves. Yea not good for sure.depends in the area but maybe they are just passing through. You could hope anyway.

I usually pull out and put some distance between the wolves and myself. At least 3 miles, and have moved camp up to 25 miles before finding elk that will talk again. Where I hunt, when the wolves start howling, bulls clam up and hunker down- game over. I dont waste time hunting elk that are getting hunted 24hrs a day by wolves, it just dont work. :mad:  Make sure you always have a plan B, C, & D when hunting in wolf country......

I was in CO rifle hunting once and trying to push elk through an area to my dad and a buddy. about half way down I start hearing yotes behind me yapping and going on... as I kept going they kept coming, after a while it was becoming unnerving to have them follow me like that yet stay out of site. this probably went on for a good half mile before I hit the clearing where I knew they would come. I wasn't worried cause I had the rifle but it still was not a good feeling.

I was messing around with my bugle this year at my camper and I had a wolf start howling. It made me sad!! I thought about switching up and maybe going wolf hunting instead.

The areas we have hunted in Idaho have been severely impacted by wolves.  We don't go into the woods now without  a wolf tag for the very reason you mentioned.  Those elk calls may call in more than that bull of a lifetime.

Last year I was in elk for three days which included a MISS on a nice 5x5 satellite bull. Unfortunately my weekend ran out and i had to go back to town and work 4 days before I was back out in my spot.  I arrived late Thursday night and set camp ready to head out early for the hole I found the herd the previous weekend.  That night I was awaken to the sounds of howling wolves, and my gut sank as I realized they were up the hillside, right in the hole which was my morning destination.  The next day I walked through thick fresh rub-lines and sign, but not an elk to be found, and not even a bird chirping.  The deep gutteral howling of a wolf pack is definitely the worst sound you can hear out in elk country.

Wolves are worst, but I also hate working another bull, when a third bugles but it does the ol' flute sounding decension. Ya know its a Primos call, and another hunter is coming to "help" you out...

Haven't heard any wolves while elk hunting Oregon yet, But when your miles in a hunt and you hear a 4 wheeler coming up behind you, Then asks you if yu have seen anything?! Thats a hard one.

Some have mentioned it already and I have to agree that next to wolves the sound of a competitor hunter Bugling (especially when unskilled) can drive you NUTS.  I've been in the middle of a herd and had a competitor hunter come bugling and spook the herd out. You can group those guys with the wolves as far as I'm concerned...

Good point,  other hunters are just as discouraging however they are only a seasonal preditor on the herd

Motorcycles on closed roads that you've spent hours riding a bike uphill on a hot afternoon sweating like a stuffed pig to get to.

I think the worst sound I have ever heard while hunting was the thwap of my arrow against the one branch between me and the elk I was aiming for. Depressing feeling

Another bad one that really gets me fired up is the sound of a pack of hounds running into the area I'm hunting... :mad: And to make things worse, it's just a "training" season for  them to run their dogs in prime elk country during archery season.. They close it down for the gun hunters.  Don't get me wrong I enjoy running dogs, but do it in the spring, not in September where Archery guys are trying to hunt.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back