Today was interesting....

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
Florida?s 17-18 season is still going.  Well let me tell you a crazy story from today!

I was on my way to the gym today around 1pm and as I was coming by an area I hunt and I saw a buck cross the road. He was heading right towards some of my spots! I didn?t have my gear with me (doh!) but I knew one of my buddies was out hunting about 10 minutes away.  I?ve been trying to help him get his first buck and teach him whatever I can.  I called him and said ?get your butt over here!?

He showed up and we went into my first spot. Sure enough the buck has been there FOUR MINUTES BEFORE WE SHOWED UP. 

80ba2878daf4c8d37d47ae185fb1f3dd.jpg

My gut started telling me something, so I took him to a spot that I just ?had that feeling? about. 

I showed him the tree to sit in and told him where the bucks come from. 

I left him and went to the gym, crushed my workout, went home to shower, grabbed my gear and got ready to head out for a hunt.  I checked my phone and I had missed phone calls and a text ?I JUST SHOT A BUCK. I CAN SEE HIM, HE IS DOWN.? 

I called him and told him to not move! I wanted to be there to see him recover his first archery buck!

17 yard shot, 35 yard recovery....

0e21f54921200594feb68af859565947.jpg

3ecbc3c8c02db19a39e7ac7b6e14af6c.jpg

30a8c89d7176b2f918c78680f848f990.jpg

10ae88a0e43a46096a5b6ac0a3373bca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy is head over heels excited and stuck on cloud 9.  I helped him pose some pictures and told him I?d love to help him get the deer gutted, packed out and quartered. 

If anyone knows me.... they know I like to take deer out a certain way
emoji23.png

4cb88a61d9b42df0bbb8b272512e9ca5.jpeg

f80b687ba313cd966f426fe63db1e5a2.jpeg

If this isn?t silly enough, my buddy wanted to take his deer to my house in his vehicle....

31e7a1fa8da14c1a27bee2eb799bb3f1.jpg

I called another buddy over and we taught my buddy who shot the deer how to skin, quarter, and debone the deer. 

All and all it was an amazing night.  He?s pumped because he got his first archery buck, I?m pumped because I got to help, and this my friends is how traditions are carried on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool story, thanks for sharing. Great you helped a buddy out, I enjoy that more than killing a deer or turkey myself. Not sure I can pack a buck out quite like that though. I used to throw some little ones on my shoulders and pack them out but I think those days are over :D

Rzrbac said:
Cool story, thanks for sharing. Great you helped a buddy out, I enjoy that more than killing a deer or turkey myself. Not sure I can pack a buck out quite like that though. I used to throw some little ones on my shoulders and pack them out but I think those days are over :D

haha these FL bucks probably weight the same size as one of your Missouri does...

Awesome story and pics Dan. I don't know what made me laugh more, you throwing another full deer onto your pack or seeing that deer in the trunk!  :lol:

Good on you for helping another person punch their tag. You are getting pretty good at that.

Hey Dan - was that your buddy that met us in OK for the one hunt?  He looks happy!!

Congrats to him and for you bringing in new hunters to the sport!

nclonghunter said:
Great he got a good buck for his first deer. I have carried a couple out whole but I dont dare show pics🙃

Lol!!! I understand....
I shot one last year that had some ground shrinkage.... she was tasty though!

colorado russ said:
Hey Dan - was that your buddy that met us in OK for the one hunt?  He looks happy!!Congrats to him and for you bringing in new hunters to the sport!

Different guy. I did however get Matt (the guy you met at Sandy) his first deer last year! I need to send you the video!

jstephens61 said:
Come to Illinois, you won?t be packing a deer out like that.

That's what I've been told! I'm guessing a doe up there would weigh more than this guy!

Figured I would post MY experience of my first buck bow kill as well as how much I have learned this year. (A lot of it from Dan) Sorry if some is repeat info, I already had a write up going before I realized Dan wrote something as well, ha-ha!

I grew up in Washington, and I have been hunting since I was about 8 years old. I didn't lay my hand on a rifle until I was around 12. The first year rifle hunting I was a youth so I took the first thing I saw and it was a doe. The next year super early morning walking to our spot I shot a pretty nice 8 point, with my rifle.

Fast forward 13 or 14 years and I have now been bow hunting for about four years solid. I had bagged a total of three does and am now in Florida. First couple days of the season I spotted a really nice 8 point and decided to get buck fever and shot high, twice. Next day I smoked another doe. A couple weeks later I shoot at a 4 point but hit a branch. Tracked him for about 250 yards and backed out. Ended up getting a buddies dog to try and track, 1/2 mile later we were still on blood but it was getting late. I made a post on a local FB hunting page for help from someone with a legit tracking dog (the first one was just a house dog sometimes used for tracks, lol) and this guy, Dan, messages me and tells me he is willing to come help the next day. Now I didn't know this guy from Adam, but sure enough he came out and helped me look. No luck.

2 months later after losing yet another buck from running into a closed area after being shot, I was down and defeated. At this time I have had all kinds of bucks on my trail cams so I took a couple days off work to try and get one. After four days of not seeing a single deer, I was getting worried. My new buddy Dan hunts in the same area as me, and told me to come sit one of his spots for an evening hunt. I jumped the opportunity, not just to see something different, but I enjoy hunting with someone and not being solo all the time. He told me ?I want to go to the gym and then hunt, but I want to check my cams first.? As I?m driving over there I get a call, ?Dude! Where are you!? A buck just crossed the road right in front of me get here now!? I pulled in we walked to first cam sure enough buck was there (as previously told) we stomp all through the woods (Dan going 90mph on 3 scoops of pre workout) going to his other cams before getting me to a spot. Dan stops, looks at me and says ?Hey, I have an idea follow me? We get to a spot he tells me to sit in any one of these trees and tells me the direction of travel they will be taking. Now although I have been hunting almost my whole life, when Dan speaks, I listen.

So as I am sitting in the tree, watching a video on my phone (I know I know) I hear something off my left shoulder. I look, nothing. Back to the video. I hear it again, only this time I see a body. I immediately stand and get ready. Now I had been really after a tall 7 point I had a ton of pictures of and wasn?t sure if they came over to this side of the area yet, but when I saw legal antlers I Immediately pulled my bow back? as he walks to me I know if I focus on anything but his body It might throw me off (as I had already experienced) He was already at 20 yards quarter to me walking a trail that took him right in front of me. I picked a spot on the trail free of brush in front of him and waited until he got to that point.

THWACK! Smoked him. The amount of excitement that was coming through my body was unreal? I immediately called Dan, and he didn?t answer. So I sent him like 10 messages? I got one? Dude? OMG? I got the big 7? he?s down? right there? dead deer? I see him down?

I called my dad and my brother because I just couldn?t hold it in? My voice is shaky and the adrenaline just wouldn?t stop? as Dan calls me back he is then too, flooded with excitement? He told me I had to stop talking so HE could think and figure out what he was doing so he could get his stuff and come quickly? he says to me ?I?m going to drive 100mph to get to you?

He shows up maybe 10 minutes later and ran all the way to me. Gets to my tree and says he forgot his phone at his vehicle. Ran all the way back to get his phone, then back to me? meanwhile he had just done a full gym workout within an hour?

Anyways, he gets to my tree as I?m getting down, I?m trying to tie up my stand he says ?forget about that right now let?s go get your deer? He starts the camera and we head to my deer. When we got there, we both were in shock. It was a deer neither of us had on camera out of the 5 well known bucks and thousands of pictures we had captured this season, he was not one of them. he was an 8 point. Not the 7 I thought it was. It was really a shocker and if we both knew how to use a filter with all that adrenaline going I might have showed the video of recovery. The rest is history?

(I started to field dress my deer, but was probably being way too gentle and a complete noob, so Dan took over and let me celebrate. Let me post on FB and send pics to family of my success.)

THANK YOU Dan for the opportunity of letting me get my first Buck with a bow.

Edit: This is the second deer I've been able to haul out in my subie, and plan to get a few more.  :-D

Welcome to the site Harris!  :welcome:

Congrats again on the deer and thanks for sharing the story  :upthumb:

harris928 said:
Figured I would post MY experience of my first buck bow kill as well as how much I have learned this year. (A lot of it from Dan) Sorry if some is repeat info, I already had a write up going before I realized Dan wrote something as well, ha-ha!

I grew up in Washington, and I have been hunting since I was about 8 years old. I didn't lay my hand on a rifle until I was around 12. The first year rifle hunting I was a youth so I took the first thing I saw and it was a doe. The next year super early morning walking to our spot I shot a pretty nice 8 point, with my rifle.

Fast forward 13 or 14 years and I have now been bow hunting for about four years solid. I had bagged a total of three does and am now in Florida. First couple days of the season I spotted a really nice 8 point and decided to get buck fever and shot high, twice. Next day I smoked another doe. A couple weeks later I shoot at a 4 point but hit a branch. Tracked him for about 250 yards and backed out. Ended up getting a buddies dog to try and track, 1/2 mile later we were still on blood but it was getting late. I made a post on a local FB hunting page for help from someone with a legit tracking dog (the first one was just a house dog sometimes used for tracks, lol) and this guy, Dan, messages me and tells me he is willing to come help the next day. Now I didn't know this guy from Adam, but sure enough he came out and helped me look. No luck.

2 months later after losing yet another buck from running into a closed area after being shot, I was down and defeated. At this time I have had all kinds of bucks on my trail cams so I took a couple days off work to try and get one. After four days of not seeing a single deer, I was getting worried. My new buddy Dan hunts in the same area as me, and told me to come sit one of his spots for an evening hunt. I jumped the opportunity, not just to see something different, but I enjoy hunting with someone and not being solo all the time. He told me ?I want to go to the gym and then hunt, but I want to check my cams first.? As I?m driving over there I get a call, ?Dude! Where are you!? A buck just crossed the road right in front of me get here now!? I pulled in we walked to first cam sure enough buck was there (as previously told) we stomp all through the woods (Dan going 90mph on 3 scoops of pre workout) going to his other cams before getting me to a spot. Dan stops, looks at me and says ?Hey, I have an idea follow me? We get to a spot he tells me to sit in any one of these trees and tells me the direction of travel they will be taking. Now although I have been hunting almost my whole life, when Dan speaks, I listen.

So as I am sitting in the tree, watching a video on my phone (I know I know) I hear something off my left shoulder. I look, nothing. Back to the video. I hear it again, only this time I see a body. I immediately stand and get ready. Now I had been really after a tall 7 point I had a ton of pictures of and wasn?t sure if they came over to this side of the area yet, but when I saw legal antlers I Immediately pulled my bow back? as he walks to me I know if I focus on anything but his body It might throw me off (as I had already experienced) He was already at 20 yards quarter to me walking a trail that took him right in front of me. I picked a spot on the trail free of brush in front of him and waited until he got to that point.

THWACK! Smoked him. The amount of excitement that was coming through my body was unreal? I immediately called Dan, and he didn?t answer. So I sent him like 10 messages? I got one? Dude? OMG? I got the big 7? he?s down? right there? dead deer? I see him down?

I called my dad and my brother because I just couldn?t hold it in? My voice is shaky and the adrenaline just wouldn?t stop? as Dan calls me back he is then too, flooded with excitement? He told me I had to stop talking so HE could think and figure out what he was doing so he could get his stuff and come quickly? he says to me ?I?m going to drive 100mph to get to you?

He shows up maybe 10 minutes later and ran all the way to me. Gets to my tree and says he forgot his phone at his vehicle. Ran all the way back to get his phone, then back to me? meanwhile he had just done a full gym workout within an hour?

Anyways, he gets to my tree as I?m getting down, I?m trying to tie up my stand he says ?forget about that right now let?s go get your deer? He starts the camera and we head to my deer. When we got there, we both were in shock. It was a deer neither of us had on camera out of the 5 well known bucks and thousands of pictures we had captured this season, he was not one of them. he was an 8 point. Not the 7 I thought it was. It was really a shocker and if we both knew how to use a filter with all that adrenaline going I might have showed the video of recovery. The rest is history?

(I started to field dress my deer, but was probably being way too gentle and a complete noob, so Dan took over and let me celebrate. Let me post on FB and send pics to family of my success.)

THANK YOU Dan for the opportunity of letting me get my first Buck with a bow.

Edit: This is the second deer I've been able to haul out in my subie, and plan to get a few more.  :-D
Congrats buddy!  Thanks for sharing this story.

Two things I'd like to add:

Dan wasn't on preworkout he was just Dan. Lol

And....I'm pretty sure anyone would be less delicate than Dan when it comes to gutting a deer!

Again....congrats!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Probably not the place to ask but will anyway.....

Dan,

When I view pics on this site on my PC they are always huge and cut in half left to right.  You have to scroll with the slider to see the whole pic.  Is there any way to correct this so that we can see the full pic without the slider?

Thanks

Bowfreak said:
Probably not the place to ask but will anyway.....

Dan,

When I view pics on this site on my PC they are always huge and cut in half left to right.  You have to scroll with the slider to see the whole pic.  Is there any way to correct this so that we can see the full pic without the slider?

Thanks

I will second that.

To be honest I am not sure. I will have to shoot an email to the technology guru.

For some reason I think it only happens when you upload pictures through tapatalk.

The easiest thing to do when uploading pics from tapatalk is to choose the 'small' size when it gives you the choice. Then it will fit perfect on the page.

cohunter14 said:
The easiest thing to do when uploading pics from tapatalk is to choose the 'small' size when it gives you the choice. Then it will fit perfect on the page.
I have never seen that option on Tapatalk or at least never noticed. I have been accused of not paying attention at times though. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back