Upgrading your bow

Jimbow65

Dec 28, 2012
How often do you upgrade your bow.
I been shooting my current hoyt for almost ten years, I am overdue.

Shot my Mathews for 14 yrs and it was great.  Finally got serious last year and bought a Hoyt crx32.  WOW!  Had a spyder in my paw other day didn't shoot it though cause the shop was packed.  Felt REALLY NICE!    I think my son is goon a get acrx32 next weekend cause dad is getting a SPYDER.

For me, confidence is key!!  I used to be brand specific!!  Now, what feels good in my hand gets shot and compared to what I have now!!  Sometimes, it takes a couple of years to find that bow that makes you go "whoa"!! Sometimes the bug bites you every year!! You can always find someone to buy your bow and there is Ebay too!!  If you are going to only go to a specific brand, you might miss out on something!!

i've had my pse x force for 3 years and figure its probably good for another couple before technology requires me to try another. 

The real question are bows any better than lets say bows that are 5 years old.  Has technology changed that much to warrant a new bow?  That is the question I have.

i Have been shooting the same bow for the past 10 years, I have replaced the strings and cables but it has been reliable, not too heavy, and has never let me down, My bow was an entry level priced bow when I bought it 10 years ago. Sometimes I get bow envy, and want to try a new spyder or other high end bow, but that upgrade  would almost pay for another hunting trip. The demand for 10 year old used bows is nill. I am sure if I shot a new bow I would really have bow envy. With a limited budget, I may just invest in a ultralight tent and hunt elk with my 10 y.o. bow rather than stay home with a new bow.

I just got a new bow last year (PSE DS EVO), my last bow was 7 years old and it now my sons. He will get some good years out of it also :)

I try to sell my bow and get a new one every year or two.  not because it's any better, just because it keeps you into shooting when you have a new toy

I'll upgrade every 2-3 year. Unless something comes out that I just have to have. I try every new bow that comes out every year at my local archery shop. Mostly Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech and PSE. I'm not specific to brand byut the bow has to have certain specs and most important feel great in my hand. Most of the time I will shoot them with my eye closed so I can feel the bow and not watch the arrow. Most manufactures don't really change their stuff that much from year to year so it's not worth chasing technology.

I just try to find the bow that feels good to me, and wait to find it on sale  ;)
Sometimes it's a really long wait...or maybe it just feels like it.

I am always wanting to buy the new flashy gear, and I have to hold myself back to spend money on a NR Tag instead. Not a bad trade off. I would love a new bow and think I would go with Hoyt. I agree the biggest thing is confidence and what feels good.

I'm thinking it might be just one year for this current bow, screwed up my shoulder doc saysif I'm going to keep shooting going to have to go with a lighter draw weight or quit all together..... Sigh....... So I guess I should look at a new one, oh darn..

I have had mine now for two years and im on the fence about getting a newer bow or just putting some upgraded accessories on it.

I upgrade almost every year. I always get the urge to shoot the latest bow out there. I shoot a Bowtech Insanity and for the first time in a few years I am not looking for anything else. I absolutely love my Insanity.

I had been shooting to Hoyt Vectrix for 6 years and wanting to upgrade about every year.. Finally got to this winter as my wife surprised me at Christmas with a new Spyder 34!

I Have a hard time buying a new bow. They lose there value so much you can get one that was shot a couple times fro hundreds less that fully equipped. But every 4-5 years it nice to have add a bow to the inventory.

I love my bow and even if its old i still add new things to it to make it that much better.  As long as you up keep it then it will work for years.

Garrett Weaver said:
I Have a hard time buying a new bow. They lose there value so much you can get one that was shot a couple times fro hundreds less that fully equipped. But every 4-5 years it nice to have add a bow to the inventory.

not too mention I just don't think I could hunt with a brand new bow.  I have a carbon matrix plus (2011) that I got a few months ago and still looked pretty much new.  I try to keep it pretty but on backpack hunts and hiking a lot it's going to get beat up regardless.  I think if I had a new bow I'd be too worried about it (especially with the prices of new bows these days).

You can find pretty much new bows (with only a few shots like you said) on archery talk classifieds for steals if you look and are familiar with the current market.  I got mine for half of retail

I have dad my mathews for over 10 years.  I think its time to upgrade.  I gave mine to my son so Dad gets a new bow! ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back