using a decoy

VTHOKEE

Mar 4, 2016
I was reading a article the other day in Extreme Elk magazine and it was talking about using decoys to help bring the elk in a little closer when hunting. Especially hunting solo were you don\'t have a guy setup behind you calling. This would only be used during archery season I don\'t think I would want a decoy anywhere near me during firearm season. I have been looking at a decoy that is made by a guy here in NM called the Stalker by Migs Decoys. It attaches to your bow. I also like the heads up decoy, that one looks like you could attach it to a couple branches in the general area you are in hoping to bring the elk in to your range. I know that they don\'t always work and some might scare elk away but I am just looking for another tool to have with me. What have been some of your guys/gals experiences with using decoys?

You may want to add the Montana Elk Rump to your list.

Last year, Montana Decoy finally brought back the elk rump decoy which was absent for a few years. I had mistakenly given away my first one and was stuck buying the Miss September which I found cumbersome to deploy. I ditched the poles and attached green yarn to the decoy to hang from a tree.

Others on here have more real life experiences than I and will likely chime in on their use. They can scare away an elk, but they can also provide reassurance to elk that the elk sound they heard (you) really was an elk.

Call Jeff @ Elk Mountain Gear. He makes one of the best decoys available. Great guy as well.

\"mtnmutt\" said:
They can scare away an elk, but they can also provide reassurance to elk that the elk sound they heard (you) really was an elk.

As long as my calling don\'t scare them away first....lol I am sure it\'s just like a decoy on any other animal... timing, mood, and setup

In the past I have set out decoys around my tree stand. That is not a good idea. Some elk are ok with the decoy, but others shy away. Some elk are alarmed when they see one, not suspecting an elk to be around the area. Since you set up your stand where elk are most likely to be, it does not improve your chances to have the decoy nearby. If the elk is coming to a call, or other elk sound, they expect to see an elk when they get close to where they heard the sound come from. To not have an elk for them to see, can make them jittery, and they look for it. Most decoys I would place behind me 10-20 yards when hunting solo. Jeff\'s (elkmtngear) works directly in front of the hunter. I would avoid a decoy attached to my bow. We all know how hard it is to shoot accurately, with a bow, whenever we have even a moderate wind. Attaching a decoy to the bow is only going to exacerbate the problem.

Thanks for the advice you guys have given. You hear about people using them that have great results and not so great results. I am mainly looking to have it as a all else fails and need something to bring them in if they hang up. I\'ve tried decoys with whitetail and had zero luck.

\"vthokee\" said:
Thanks for the advice you guys have given. You hear about people using them that have great results and not so great results. I am mainly looking to have it as a all else fails and need something to bring them in if they hang up. I\'ve tried decoys with whitetail and had zero luck.

Decoys can go either way. It\'s a good tool to have in the right situation. A lot of hunters expect to put up a decoy, call, and have the elk run right to it. It can happen, but most often, that\'s not the case.

A very common instance on public land, is to have a bull \"hang up\" when calling him in. Many times, the bull will come in just far enough to where he can look for visual confirmation of the call he his hearing (he will know EXACTLY where the sound is coming from). A decoy can sometimes provide the confirmation the bull is looking for.

In this video, that is exactly what happened according to the shooter...the bull hung up for about 30 seconds, and then his focus was on the decoy, providing the shooter with a one yard shot opportunity. We have pulled off the same thing many times over the years when team hunting.

https://video-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=19743fc6c225764289e27e8a28ca72b9&oe=5599F120

Solo hunting is a tougher deal. The idea is to get the focus away from the shooter...that\'s easy to do if you are not the caller AND the shooter. The best tact is to get close to the bull...call...and immediately move ahead and to one side of the decoy. This can work well, as stated in this testimonial from one of our customers:

When the bull disapeered over the edge of the hill I moved the slip system out into the wide open and staked it in the ground, and I then ran down the coullee and made it half way up the other side when the bull came back to the ridge. The bull immediately locked onto the decoy, and was staring right over the top of me.
Now here comes the best part, and the worst part. I ranged the bull and he was 42 yards on the dot, and uphill from me. I drew my bow back, got a solid rest and let the arrow fly. To my disbelief the arrow sailed right over the top of the bulls back, he jumped a little bit and spun 180 degrees, never taking his eyes off the decoy. I once again ranged the bull and he was now 40 yards. I put my 40 yard pin dead center on his chest and let another arrow fly. Unbelievablely the arrow once again sailed right over the bulls back. I could not believe what was happening, and you might think I am lying but the bull just stood there and kept looking at the decoy. I again ranged the bull and he had not moved and was 40 yards on the money. This time I put my 40 yard pin on the bottom of his chest, got a solid rest and squeezed my release. The arrow flew true, and you would never believe it but I hit him right in the brisket. It was just before dark so my partner and I backed out and decided to come back in the morning.
After a sleepless night we went back and found some blood about 400 yards from where I shot the bull, and he bled only a little bit for about another 400 yards, and then the bleeding stopped. To my dismay we never found the bull, and I am sure that he is still alive and well. My partner guessed the bull at 350+ and I only knew that he was big. I shot my bow the next morning, and I hit the target dead on at 40 yards, so I am still trying to figure out where I went wrong.
The point of this story is that without the Elk Mountain Slip system, there is no chance in hell that I would have ever been able to sling 3 arrows at a herd bull. This system without a doubt works, and will keep bulls interested even if a hunter makes a mistake. Even though I don\'t have the massive bull on the ground, I still can not thank Elk Mountain Inc. enough for producing such a great product. Thanks.
Justin Jenness

Jeff,
thanks for the great story sorry it didn\'t end on a more positive note. The slip system is another I had looked at as well. Just not 100% sure I want to pull the gun on something I may not use.

\"vthokee\" said:
Jeff,
thanks for the great story sorry it didn\'t end on a more positive note. The slip system is another I had looked at as well. Just not 100% sure I want to pull the gun on something I may not use.

Alan, that\'s the beauty of it...you WILL find a use for it, whether it be to keep a storm off you, help you pack meat out or get up a scree slope, use it as a shooting rest for gun hunts, or to throw up a quick camo blind.

The other products are just \"decoys\" ;)

Last Season, I only got to use it as a decoy in one encounter...but trust me, I used the hell out of it!

Every time I\'m out I seem to find new uses for the Slip system. Moving in and out of elk is one of the best, since you can hidebehind it while moving around herds. The blind slip helped produce my biggest bull ever. I\'ve called bulls in to several feet while using the cow elk slip, and have photos of a snot-nosed bull peering over the top at me. And the big elk butt is an awesome decoy, whether static or dynamic decoying. That and the elk hat are two of my most valuable tools since I mostly hunt solo.

\"Jaquomo\" said:
I\'ve called bulls in to several feet while using the cow elk slip, and have photos of a snot-nosed bull peering over the top at me.

louraghorn.jpg

Love that pic, Lou! :upthumb:

the slip system seems to really be a favorite on here. is it easy to attach to your pack?

It\'s a hiking staff that instantly opens up into a blind or decoy. Check out Jeff\'s videos on his link. But if don\'t want to use it as a staff for some reason, I either carry it in my day pack or attach to the outside with a couple straps, depending on which pack I\'m packing.

Don\'t tell Jeff I told you this (except I\'ve told him... ;) ) but the Slip elk butt combined with the Heads Up cow elk is ridiculous. I use the elk hat for the same effect but for those unfortunates who don\'t have a cow hat, the Heads Up over the top of the Slip butt can produce the same \"live\" dynamic effect.

\"Jaquomo\" said:
the Slip elk butt combined with the Heads Up cow elk is ridiculous. I use the elk hat for the same effect but for those unfortunates who don\'t have a cow hat, the Heads Up over the top of the Slip butt can produce the same \"live\" dynamic effect.

Throw in your blow up antler and you are a recipe for death!

Ha, this year I\'m going to resurrect the inflatable six point antler! Thanks for reminding me!

I have three different decoys that I like to use, the heads up, the Montana elk butt and the elk hat made by Be the Decoy (copied Jaq). I have used all with different results depending on the situation (I don\'t carry them all with me, usually pick one to carry, though the butt and head combo idea is peaking my interest). I have thought about pulling the trigger on one of Jeffs simply so I can have one of all of them. :think: I like the idea of Jeffs for ease of movement around elk but also for a blind option as stand and blind hunting is my primary method as of late.

But for those of you who are avid decoy guys which one do you think is more universal, a head, a butt or a side shot? For guys that may only want one or can afford one.

Was looking on another hunting forum this afternoon and I saw this decoy setup that I haven\'t seen advertised before. <!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.poisonarrowgear.com/\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.poisonarrowgear.com/</a><!-- m -->

Has anyone looked at this one personally or have any opinions on how it might help or hurt you in a situation when it could be used?

\"vthokee\" said:
Was looking on another hunting forum this afternoon and I saw this decoy setup that I haven\'t seen advertised before. <!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.poisonarrowgear.com/\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.poisonarrowgear.com/</a><!-- m -->

Has anyone looked at this one personally or have any opinions on how it might help or hurt you in a situation when it could be used?

I\'ve seen the Poison Arrow decoy...it\'s very lightweight...kind of a ripoff on the Heads Up idea.

The only thing to consider, is having a decoy attached to your bow can turn it into a \"kite\" in a situation where the wind might be gusting.

One badly timed gust of wind could result in a \"mistake\" .

The Heads Up has some options where you can take it off and clip it to a branch, I like its versatility in that regard.

kinda torn between the 3. the slip system is a little pricey for me so that is why I\'m leaning more twds the headsup or the poison arrow decoys.

\"vthokee\" said:
kinda torn between the 3. the slip system is a little pricey for me so that is why I\'m leaning more twds the headsup or the poison arrow decoys.

PM me and we\'ll see what we can work out if you are serious about the SLIP System.

There\'s just a lot more material and versatility there than just a \"carshade\" type 2D decoy (carbon fiber, high grade aluminum, fiberglass, etc). More than just a decoy...and you have the option to buy other covers if you want to use it as a camo blind, or decoy other stuff (the Slipcovers retail for $34.95, and switch out in less than a minute).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back