using a decoy

\"vthokee\" said:
Was looking on another hunting forum this afternoon and I saw this decoy setup that I haven\'t seen advertised before. <!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.poisonarrowgear.com/\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.poisonarrowgear.com/</a><!-- m -->

Has anyone looked at this one personally or have any opinions on how it might help or hurt you in a situation when it could be used?

I have not tried that new decoy.

First, the Heads Up Decoy has an optional bow attachment. I do not have this, therefore, cannot comment on it. The Heads Up Decoy looks more versatile than the above product.

Secondly, when the wind is up, I do not want a Sail attached to my bow. I shoot year round at my outdoor range. I have a hard enough time keeping the short ATA bow steady in wind without attaching a sail to the bow. I am not attaching a longer stab to steady it.

If you have a very steady bow, perhaps a longer ATA than mine, you may have better luck keeping the bow steady in wind with a sail attached.

Granted, there isn\'t usually much wind when I am hunting which may make it a moot point.

Lastly, I don\'t like having my decoy on me or really close to me when I am setup. I prefer it to be offset from me. The exception would be the Slip System. I bought one this year with Dark Timber. That one I will use as a blind. My Montana Rump decoy will be off to the side away from me. Plus, firearms are being used for half of September in my unit. I would rather not be near an elk decoy.

These are the 3 decoys that I see most useful. I have only used the rump in the past and don\'t always deploy it.
Slip System
Heads Up Decoy
Montana Elk Rump

My 2 cents on decoys.

Besides all the ones I mentioned above, I also have the bow attachment for the Heads Up and the tree clamp. Just got the tree clamp this year (Thanks, Garrett!). Since I\'m back dabbling with the compound again, I plan to try the bow attachment. I\'ve shot with it quite a bit and with my 40\" ATA it makes very little difference. With a bow quiver it sort of counter-balances the whole setup. I know guys who\'ve used the bow attachment with great success.

I\'ve shot bulls that stood there looking at me when I wore the cow elk hat. I\'ve also had ones I didn\'t want to shoot not leave after I deked-called them in with the hat, even after taking it off and waving at them. Silly bulls!

Before Jeff had a muley doe Slip, I rigged the Heads Up bow attachment to the Slip open country blind, which created a really cool 3-D decoy/blind effect. I still use it sometimes in the right situation.

Well I have bit the bullet and bought the slip system. Can\'t wait to try it out and see how it works.

\"vthokee\" said:
Well I have bit the bullet and bought the slip system. Can\'t wait to try it out and see how it works.
Congratulations!

Which cover did you get?

I got the one with the elks butt. I really can\'t wait to try it out if the opportunity presents itself. I also want to purchase the mule deer slip. I think it would be a great help out here in NM where I hunt especially during an archery hunt.

You\'re going to like it. I carry mine with the elk butt attached to the Slip all the time so I can pop it up quickly and get behind it. I\'ve also had luck setting it off to the side and upwind when calling.

Good luck! Decoying is a blast, and when it works it\'s like magic.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back