Using the wind

Wyo67

Aug 8, 2013
When plotting a strategy to move in and setup on a bull, obviously you want the wind coming to you.  I overheard Jason Phelps during one of the Gritty Bowmen podcasts say that he tries to keep the wind on one side in order to try and make the bull come in from a known direction.  As an example, he claims that if he keeps the wind on his right cheek, the bull will most likely circle to his left.  Thoughts/experiences?

Very sound advice. If only it worked like that every time!  ;)  But yes i would say 90% of set ups iv been in the elk come in with wind in their favor. Make your last call then go downwind or set your caller downwind where the elk will be circling to get the wind.

Elk are pretty good at knowing the location that call came from. When the cautious elk can hear something but not see anything there they will try and arc around such that the wind is in their favor. This is behavior that can be used one's advantage. If one anticipates that the elk will not come in on a straight line, rather an arc to get a sniff, then one can be in a better (or worse) location to take a shot.

I think it is more of a guideline rather than a rule. The elk don't often cooperate the same as we think they should.

When hunting solo I'll run downwind a short way after my last call, playing the odds that the bull will head that way as he gets close.  Predator hunting we do it all day, setting up watching downwind trying to get them before they are directly downwind, little different deal with guns and open desert.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back