Water filtration

Hycntryhtr

May 30, 2013
Looking to buy a water filter system. Wanting to know your thoughts on a pump style, chemical( tablets), or gravity bag. What style do you guys like and find more efficient?

The Sweetwater is actual made by MSR...I almost pulled the trigger on one this week, but went with the Katadyn Hiker Pro instead...

buglelk said:
The Sweetwater is actual made by MSR...I almost pulled the trigger on one this week, but went with the Katadyn Hiker Pro instead...

your right i forgot that it is but MSR makes another with i side handle pump its so slow but the filter is awesome! not that the sweetwater filter is bad i was just impressed by the other kinds filter 

I've been a Katydyn (MSR) customer for years and have loved the Hiker. I'd recommend it anytime and just about anywhere.

Had the chance to use the Platypus Gravity Works 4L filter on a river trip last month and dang it's sweet. Gotta be sure to back-flow the filter every or every-other use, but it's super nice and more speedy than I expected. It's on the top of my gear list for "want/need" this year.  I'd recommend checking it out.

I have used a water pump since 1992 for backpacking and hunting. I still have the PUR Hiker Pro and Expedition (now Katadyn). Both are very good filters. However I just don't like pumping any more.

The 2 I use now are the Sawyer Squeeze filter and the Sawyer 2 Liter water filtration system. The squeeze filter comes with a 64, 32 and 16oz pouches and the filter. I carry the 32 oz. and filter in my day pack weight is 3.4 oz. empty. I no longer carry a water bladder, just fill up the pouch screw on the filter attach the drinking tube and put it in your pack. When I am out of water just fill it up at any water source and back on the trail no need to pump. I use the 2 liter filter system when backpack or spike camp hunting. Fill it up when you get to camp and it filters while you are setting up your camp. It can also filter while you are hiking. No need topump. Here are some pics and vids.

Sawyer squeeze: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKWQjlq-uYA

2 liter system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yBafO6ehcM

Attachments

• water filter.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 1
  • gravity filter.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 0
Been using the katadyne hiker pro for about 9 years now without an issue, I've changed the filter a couple times just cause.  doesn't take long to fill my 100oz bladder (probably 3 minutes)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back