Weights for pack training

Bowhunter1 said:
mckayam1 said:
If using the heavy weights, 70 plus. How far do you go ?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I start out with 30 or 40 and work up to 70. I usually do a 3 mile hike 2 to 3 times a week.

I'm the same to an extent. I work my way up to 50. 
I don't exceed that because I'm building up those muscles in the gym.

I use 20lb bags of rice.  One fits in each batwing of my Eberlestock and gives a good 40lbs for year round conditioning.  I can add another bag the closer to the hunt I get.  A bonus to the rice over sand or salt, it's easy to clean up if it spills!  If there's a empty seam or crease in a pack, sand will find it.

I'm filling my day pack with everything I'll be carrying on my hunt minus my rifle and adding 15lb weights (around 35lbs total). I walk with the pack, the cloths I'll be wearing and my bino harness. just trying to simulate what I'll actually be doing and do 1.5 miles in 30min. at least 4 times per week. On Saturdays, I've been doing a 6 mile hike with some hills and using my trekking poles walking at a fast pace. I'll also do 50lb sand bag between the frame and pack (plus what's in my pack) somewhere in the week and do my 1.5 mile hike in 30min. that one's tough for me but I need to start adding more weight for sure.

I use a couple small sandbags and lots of muzzle loader bullets.  Usually train with 40-50 in the summer and go up as fall approaches.  We have a backpack cardio group around the Denver Area with about 200+ members that post when they are going to hit a few of the local trails near the foothills so it's great to have a "support" group to provide lots of opportunities!  It you're around the front range of CO and interested in joining, were on Facebook as Colorado Backpack Cardio and just request to join.  You can go whenever it works for you!

So this will be my first elk Archery elk hunt I am prior Military and was yes was very good at tucking 9 10 miles easy know I am 42 it's hard so starting off I use 40 pounds of weight and 7 miles every other day and the days in between its squats Dead lifts power cleans and pull ups if there is any other advice you guys have please lay it one me thanks. Plus I am doing the University of Elk and man what a awesome course

Grizzly6D said:
So this will be my first elk Archery elk hunt I am prior Military and was yes was very good at tucking 9 10 miles easy know I am 42 it's hard so starting off I use 40 pounds of weight and 7 miles every other day and the days in between its squats Dead lifts power cleans and pull ups if there is any other advice you guys have please lay it one me thanks. Plus I am doing the University of Elk and man what a awesome course

Sounds like a heck of a routine. If you are coming from sea level you could also look at wearing a mask during your hikes to reduce oxygen intake, which would simulate going to elevation. Otherwise, keep up that routine! Put on a lightweight day pack and you should be able to cover a lot of ground while hunting!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back