What 3 items help successful Elk Hunters notch their tag each year?

Jeremiah Johnson

Dec 29, 2012
From my experience and observation over 30 years;
1. Persistance,dedication and desire. Getting after it and in the field at every available opportunity. How bad do you want it....
2. Knowing your area..the elk have to be there to be successful
3. Fitness....the more fit you are, the longer and further you can hunt and when the time arrives for that opportunity you are able to perform mentally to execute the shot.

I would go with:
1. Dedication/Persistence
2. Fitness
3. Ability to call effectively--bull and cow sounds.

Without #3, filling a tag is more about being lucky to be in the right place at the right time.  With effective calling, I can make it happen much more likely.

Persistence/Dedication, Fitness and Knowledge of elk/calling.

I feel that these three are all equally important.

1.  Dedication (to the hunt and your off season preparation)
2.  Experience (I learn a lesson every year)
3.  Gear (make sure inadequate gear won't be the source of a failed hunt)

From my experience and observation over 30 years;
1. Persistance,dedication and desire. Getting after it and in the field at every available opportunity. How bad do you want it....
2. Knowing your area..the elk have to be there to be successful
3. Fitness....the more fit you are, the longer and further you can hunt and when the time arrives for that opportunity you are able to perform mentally to execute the shot.
copied from Jeremia Johnson

1) past experience
2) knowledge of area
3) instinct-I have a brother who has hunted about as much as me and is 6 years older than me and has never killed an elk. I'm 26 and have killed an elk every year for the last 8 years. My brother just doesn't have the hunter instinct. Not saying that I'm the best, but I just understand them more. I have friends who are amazing at getting elk. I'm sure we can all think of someone who does and does not have the hungting instinct.

I'd go with:
1. Knowledge of an area - some areas look great but if you consistantly don't see them there, do keep going back. 
2.  Hunt every day you can. - Just showing up makes it a 100% chance that you might see something!
2.  Persistance/Dedication - Hunting is also mentally challenging when you put in all the planning, time, effort and still strike out but as Winston Churchill said, NEVER GIVE UP!

I am still learning this elk hunting stuff, these post all seem to have a common theme, But I really like MT-mulies comment about hunting instinct.

1. PATIENCE, perserverance, dedication, etc...
2. Knowing the land and the elk's behavior
3. Knowing your own limitations. i.e. fitness, knowledge, elk knowledge, etc...
4. And.....so much more!

1) Dedication - (Knowledge of area hunting, patience, spending time scouting and patterning the animals)

2) Knowing your weapons performance - (Practice with your weapon during the off-season and know its limitations and yours)

3) Being Fit - (I can vouch for being in shape, especially if you have to pack an elk out by yourself miles in)

I would say scouting, fitness, and practice but I think they are equally important so no particular order.

1. Patience
2. Dedication
3. Willingness to go farther.

I think these are huge keys in being successful at any hunt especially elk. They are incredible animals and will test every ounce of your being just to get close and even more to take one. 

1.knowledge of area -especially for non resident

2. willing to move to new area if no Elk

3.Mental toughness!!

P.S. Dont be afraid to have fun!!! Dont pressure yourself!!!

OK, I'm going to change this up a little since you said what three Items...

Well tuned bow or dialed in rifle!
Good range finder!
Bino's

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back