What 3 items help successful Elk Hunters notch their tag each year?

I have to jump in with FULLABULL on the three items;
(1) well tuned bow, heavy penetrating arrows and lots of practice
(2) Good rangefinder with ARC with bow practice
(3) Clothing, including boots, rain gear that deal with the elements
Now MT MULLE mentioned "HUNTER INSTINCTS" which is interesting. I hunt hard and do occasionally score, BUT I have known two people in my life that I hunted with that had it. I am not certain  "IT" is instinct as much as "ANIMAL ATTRACTION". I could hunt a stand for three days with nothing and "David" would sit in the same stand the fourth day and a 20 yard shot would present itself. Saw it many times. My current hunting partner also has "IT". His Dad mentioned it first, that "Mike" has the attraction. We can go into new places or hunt known locations and game will come to him. I was not blessed with the attraction but I have seen it at work and I enjoy the fact that hunt with someone who does have it...

1 addiction elk hunting is my crack
2 obbsesion ,when your obbsesion is this strong you cant quit till its done.
3 and it helps to know your area and habits of elk

RockyMountainHi said:
  I would go with:
1. Dedication/Persistence
2. Fitness
3. Ability to call effectively--bull and cow sounds.

Without #3, filling a tag is more about being lucky to be in the right place at the right time.  With effective calling, I can make it happen much more likely.
I'm with RMH on this

Time in the woods. Seriously. Last year I had a crazy schedule and all of 5 days scouting and hunting combined. No elk for me. People I know that consistently tag out put in way more hours than me.

Lots of great points so far.  For me it's......
  • Knowledge of the area you're hunting (knowing where the animals will be and when)
  • Understanding the language of the Elk vs. being a great caller (sneak in and kill)
  • Hunt with someone that has the same drive as you, or HUNT ALONE
Some things are out of your control, weather, hunting pressure, and time in the field.  At some point everything WILL come together if you stay with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back