what caliber

bnsafe

Mar 2, 2014
im thinking of buying a new rifle. i dont need one, but think i want one. around here in mo no need for a large caliber for deer an short shots, but i want a do all rifle, so maybe a bigger gun. im thinking of a 300 win mag, rem ultra mag, short mag, etc. prob will never hunt elk, moose, bear with it, but will hunt barbary sheep so something than can shoot a little farther possible. i have always had a 3006 and prefer that caliber, so maybe i could just stick with it an not shoot as far. any thoughts from the rifle crowd.

my brother just shot a deer with his .3oo WSM. he is shooting a 150 grain ballistic tip.

he hit the deer at 250 yards and the damage was stunning. actually too much damage. we lost a fair bit of meat. i\'m bored of my 30.06 and find my .257 weatherby too $$ to shoot.

i kinda \"want\" a new rifle as well. i think i would get a .270 WSM for myself if i had the chance. i want to take a moose one day, but i would be okay shooting a big heavy bullet from my 30.06. maybe just a 180 grain. moose arent that robust i think. :)

im in the same boat, if i moose hunt im fine with my 3006. will be close shots. but if i go barbary sheep it may be longer stuff, im not sure. but also dont want to buy a rifle just for one hunt, well i kinda do, but..............

I shoot a 7mm(.284) magnum and really like it but limited on factory bullet sizes - generally 150-165 gr. At least in the Federal Premium that I shoot.

If in your shoes, I\'d likely go with a .270 WSM also. Little smaller caliber but plenty of wallop and magnum helps with trajectory.

I\'ve got a .3006 as well that never gets shot.

A 300 Win Mag is a good all around round.
Its a \'belted\' magnum so you can have the extra powder [case is actually a necked down 375 H&H]

Ammo is common wont break the bank
Recoil is tolerable

Here is some good info on the 300Win Mag

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://gundata.org/cartridge/63/.300-winchester-magnum\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://gundata.org/cartridge/63/.300-winchester-magnum</a><!-- m -->

some more good reading about the 300 Win Mag

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.chuckhawks.com/300Win_Mag.htm\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.chuckhawks.com/300Win_Mag.htm</a><!-- m -->

\"Colorado Russ\" said:
I shoot a 7mm(.284) magnum and really like it but limited on factory bullet sizes - generally 150-165 gr. At least in the Federal Premium that I shoot.

If in your shoes, I\'d likely go with a .270 WSM also. Little smaller caliber but plenty of wallop and magnum helps with trajectory.

I\'ve got a .3006 as well that never gets shot.

I love my .270wsm.
Very solid round about caliber and it\'s moving!

first animal i killed with my 30.06 (first kill ever) was an Aoudad. my rifle never felt outgunned and that sheep dropped like a stone.

it\'s a great round, just so \"Vanilla\" and boring to me.

the 300 win mag is tried and true..but my brother 300 WSM is cooler in that the action is so short. it makes the rifles seem so compact. i dig it..

i have been eyeballing the Tikka 270 wsm. i\'m so over being all \"archery only\" it aint even funny.

cliff, you an i are in the same boat, lol. i love archery and muzzleloader, but enjoy bringer the boom stick occ to.

I broke out my 300 win mag again, in case I get to use it in wyo next week. I haven\'t shot it since 2010 in Utah...... the first go around was intense..... I forgot how much it kicked, even with a muzzle brake. we shot again on sunday for our final tune up. and I was amazed how much more relaxed I was, and my groups got a bunch tighter!
if kim tags out early enough, I will definitely have an itchy trigger finger!

I looked a lot of rifles before I went with the 300. The 270, 7mm, 30.06 are all good rounds but I wanted something a little bigger that I could shoot heavier bullets out of. I am a big fan of Brownings rifles, I have a Blr 308 that I absolutely love. I ended up with a Browning X bolt in 300 win mag. It is a great shooting gun and you can almost bet any place that sells ammo will have 300 on the shelf. There are a wide range of bullet weights to choose from and a ton of reloading data if you are in to that.

I have a 300 Ultra Mag and if I had it to do all over again, I\'d get a 300 Win Mag. The Ultra Mag is flatter shooting, but that\'s about the only advantage you get unless you are trying to take animals past 1,000 yards. The disadvantages of it include expensive and hard to find ammo and it kicks pretty hard. The 30-06 will take any game in America inside of 500 yards. If you think you might stretch it beyond that, I\'d go 300 Win Mag.

One other fun option to consider would be a .308 in an AR style like the Remington R-25. I\'ve got one of those and will be letting a buddy use it for our upcoming Antelope hunt. It\'s a sub MOA gun and will be good out to about 500 yards on goats. Probably 400 yards on elk if I were to ever use it for that. A little heavier, but it\'s a fun toy to shoot and the recoil is minimal.

i actually would love to have a ar 10. but figured it would be a little light for elk barbary sheep etc where shots might be a little longer. if i remember right the specs are about the same as a 3006 though. i admit i am a little recoil sensitive, so maybe just a bland old 3006 in a new rifle with a nice scope an limit shots to 300 yds or less. maybe nosler trophy grade 165grain rounds.
thanks for all the input guys. i love shopping for outdoor stuff.

\"bnsafe\" said:
i actually would love to have a ar 10. but figured it would be a little light for elk barbary sheep etc where shots might be a little longer. if i remember right the specs are about the same as a 3006 though. i admit i am a little recoil sensitive, so maybe just a bland old 3006 in a new rifle with a nice scope an limit shots to 300 yds or less. maybe nosler trophy grade 165grain rounds.
thanks for all the input guys. i love shopping for outdoor stuff.
Scott, based on this info I\'d definitely look at that AR-10. Similar ballistics to the 30-06, but way less recoil. The great thing is you can load up 200+ grain rounds for close shots on larger game and then load something lighter with a high ballistic coefficient for longer range. I have a couple different loads for mine and might add another. A cheap plinking round is a must as well. But you sure cover a lot of bases with a gun like that.

Scott, just as an example, take the HSM 168 grain Berger load in .308. They say velocity on that is 2,740 fps. With that load, you would still have 1,500 ft/lbs of energy (a minimum I like to use on larger game) at 425 yards in 40 degree weather at sea level. Increase temps or altitude, and that number extends quite a bit. For example, 8,000ft elevation extends that 1,500 ft/lbs to 575 yards! So it could easily take elk up in the mountains in 40 degree weather to that distance. If you want to shoot farther than that, I\'d go 300 win mag.

sounds like that would work, for some reason i want to power of a 300 mag, but dont think i want the recoil. think i will just buy a new 3006 or look into a ar 10. limit my shots to 250-300 yds max, an go with it.. thanks guys, appreciate your thoughts.

i want an AR10,but the thoughts of humping that heavy of a rifle around is not attractive to me. my friends rifle feels like a brick.

i assume they make a lighter version?

Scott I wouldn\'t let the recoil of the 300 detour you of getting one. A 300 win mag with a muzzle break or a good quality recoil pad will go a long was in helping with the recoil. I can easily shoot a box of shells out of my 300 with out feeling it in my shoulder. I have an older 30.06 that was given to me by my grandpa that puts a wallop on my shoulder when I shoot it compared to my 300. I think a lot also depends on the gun brand that you choose also. It seems like the new rage is to get the lightest gun possible which is great for carrying it miles and miles in the woods but that does not help when that same light gun beats you to death at the range because it only weighs 4lbs. With that being said I don\'t think you can go wrong with the trusty 30.06 it to is a great and proven caliber.

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
i want an AR10,but the thoughts of humping that heavy of a rifle around is not attractive to me. my friends rifle feels like a brick.

i assume they make a lighter version?
Cliff, my R-25 weighs in right at 11lbs loaded up for hunting (5 rounds and a 4-16x42 Nikon Monarch scope). That is exactly one pound more than my regular hunting rifle, so yes it\'s noticeable but not a huge difference. However, it looks like the new Gen II R-25 model has shaved just over a pound of weight, so it looks like it could come in almost the exact same. The weight of the rifle itself went from 8.75lbs to 7.625lbs... https://www.remington.com/rifles/modern-sporting/model-r-25-gii/model-r-25-gii

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back