What happens to a game camera left on an elk wallow for 11 months in Idaho?

Heath74

Jun 27, 2013
Have you ever asked that question? To be honest I never had I always pull my cameras out during the archery season in sept. Last year however was different. I put out 4 cameras on August 22 in one of my areas so I could have a good idea some of the elk numbers in the area. I had the 1st two weeks off work for the season. My wife's grandmother's health started to go down hill the 1st of Sept. and she passed during my time off. With everything going on and since I do not hunt rifle season I never made it back up last year so the cameras were left to wait. We had a lot of snow this winter and even late snow falls in the spring. I called the NFS just before June to see if I could get in to that area yet. They said not for a few more weeks. So I finally made it back up this last weekend. The 1st one I checked on had been stolen. I thought that might happen with that one. The next one I went after was 3 miles one way from the nearest road so I was pretty sure it would still be there. The only question did it survive the winter and if it did would it work and would there be any pics. I'll let you be the judge! 

It survived ;D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    764.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 2.jpg
    692.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 3.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 4.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 48
winter

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 44
  • 7.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 6.jpg
    600.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 5.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 47
This camera was put on a new wallow I found using Google Earth then imported it in to my GPS. Seems they like the area during midday. It was still taking pics as we walked up to get it. If I had been smart I would have brought new batteries and a new SD card just left it there. I still have 2 more to get out this weekend, i'll let you know how that goes.

Attachments

• 3 bulls 7-20-17.jpg
    749.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 9.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 49
Awesome pictures, thank you for sharing. Looks like a great spot to be in September.  ;)

That's amazing that the batteries were still going strong! I have some cameras that I left out a little later into the winter last year and the batteries were shot in all of them by mid November. Awesome pics!

Thanks guys. I was surprised to see that the batteries lasted also. Here are a few more to get you excited for Sept. Check out the 2nd bull coming in in the 3rd pic.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 11.jpg
    794.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 12.jpg
    804.3 KB · Views: 50
You've definitely got a neat area picked out. I would imagine you're starting to lose sleep already?  ;)

I'm about 37 days away from my hunt and seeing these pictures get me all pumped up. :D

I work nights so I don't sleep anyway. From last years pics and this year so far it seems they like this spot from 10-6:00. So it should work out to be a nice midday hunting spot if the morning does not pan out.

Heath74 said:
I work nights so I don't sleep anyway. From last years pics and this year so far it seems they like this spot from 10-6:00. So it should work out to be a nice midday hunting spot if the morning does not pan out.

Good deal, Heath74!
I'll be eagerly awaiting your trip report in September.

Again... good luck!  8)

Cool pictures! Always enjoy a good set of trail camera pics.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing them. I all ways look forward to people posting up some pics. Gets me even more motivated to head west.

Nice pictures... Due to health issues I left 2 of my cameras out that I deployed last August... Was going to pick them up in March when I was at camp but the batteries were still good and I left them out planning on getting them a month or so later... I hope they are still taking picture since I been unable to get by down to camp yet...

Is that picture of the human you or someone else???

Great pic's thanks for sharing.  Checking trail cam's is like Christmas, never know what you will get.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back