What is a good drop away rest?

Baldy

Feb 23, 2020
Bought a trophy taker for the first time and after around 300 shots the spring boke and shots went wild before figuring it out. First time using a drop away rest but was impressed with paper tuning and good groups up until the spring incident. I used to bow hunt a lot 20 years ago and I am figuring out things have come a long way since. Looking for any suggestions on a good rest for Elk hunting that will last while shooting al summer and into Elk season.

All my bows have a NAP Carbon Apache rest on them, which you can?t get anymore. If or when I ever need a new rest, I?d look at a QAD.

I've had a RipCord for several years.  Had an issue with the original cord wearing and RipCord replaced it quickly and with no questions.

Ripcord should warranty any problems if you contact them.

I have been using a QAD Ultra Rest for many years. My first one had problem of dropping too easy if I bumped the arrow on a twig or something while still hunting, this was after a couple years of use. I sent it in for repairs and they sent me a new one. Since then I have had 3 with no issues at all.

I have used a couple Ripcords and my daughter has one and we have never had a problem with any of them. The bow I'm shooting now came with a QAD on it and I have had no problems with it either.

I looked at the QAD Ultra and will try it. Like the fact you can let down and it still captures your arrow with no added pieces on your bow unlike the Trophy Taker.

Thanks for the help.

Baldy said:
I looked at the QAD Ultra and will try it. Like the fact you can let down and it still captures your arrow with no added pieces on your bow unlike the Trophy Taker.

Thanks for the help.

That is the reason I chose the QAD many years ago.

QAD HDX.....went from a whisker biscuit to the QAD and was glad I did. Once installed and sighted in, do the walk back tuning for fine adjustment. Have deer and elk hunted with mine and no issues.

Had a QAD for years, but had the same issue multiple times when stalking in on elk.  I'd nock an arrow and lock the rest up to capture it, then start stalking in only to bump the tab or string quickly enough to have the rest drop down.  Usually I caught it when it happened, but sometimes in the moment I didn't realize it until I raised my bow to draw and found my arrow between a lowered rest and the raiser (which sometimes cost me additional movement and a shot opportunity).  So something to be mindful of if you go QAD and your setup and hunting style might create same issue.
Went to a Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro several years ago and haven't had any issues yet.
Heard great things about the Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro as well, and will probably go that route when I decide I want something new.

[font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]The Sure Shot Pro is the best of the best. Its aluminum construction makes it both rugged and lightweight. It is easily adjustable for windage and elevation, with laser engraved reference marks. This means your bow will be much simpler to tune.[/font]
[font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]The full-containment of the Whisker Biscuit makes it ideal for hunters who want the peace of mind that their arrow will be in the right spot when the time comes to take a shot.  [/font]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back