What is the difference in the tubes?

KariLynnSmith

Mar 27, 2018
I am in the process of Elk101 but I am wanting to order my elk call to begin practicing and I need some help with which one to choose. I currently have the Kristi in my Elk101 Store cart but i only picked that one because maybe it is geared toward the female hunter? I have the diaphragm cow calls by Rocky Mountain Elk Calls already and with practice became pretty good at cow calling but I just really want to blow away my elk hunting husband and son come September -who both are skilled callers and successful elk hunters btw. help!

I wouldn't say there's a way for a bugle tube to be designed for a female since males and females should both be able to call similar into tubes. When it comes to bugle tubes, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the big names out there. They are all going to be similar.

Here is a video of a guy going through a bunch of the big name tubes and you'll notice that there isn't a ton of difference between them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dx87W7bG0U

There is a huge difference in tubes.

Last year my buddy had a Rocky Mtn Bully Bull tube and I had one from a different popular mfgr.

We were using the same reeds and only his tube would get responses. After a few days I left mine in camp and I would just say "Let out a bugle"... :)

I now have a Bully Bull tube

Brad, do you think that it was due to a much better sounding bugle, or just because that particular bull just liked that sound that day? Would you get responses from the bull using his tube and not yours? Or was it just that the bull responded to your buddy's calls and not yours?

The video I posted was interesting in my opinion. You listen to all of those bugles and, to me, they all sound good because the caller is good. If you watch the follow up video on which tube was which, it was interesting to see what they found in the voting results. But every tube was getting votes too.

It was a better sounding bugle - it wasnt just a day here or there either, it was every day

Responses were only from the Bully tube, not mine. But they couldnt resist my cow mews :)

I should've went with the Bully Bull. My fiance bought me The Threat but I am not a fan of the mouth piece. I like the more open end on the Bully.

Im only interested in the Rocky Mountain Elk Calls. I experienced our son use his and it was incredible! I am a believer! I believe that he has the Threat. Some are out of stock btw.

cnelk said:
It was a better sounding bugle - it wasnt just a day here or there either, it was every day

Responses were only from the Bully tube, not mine. But they couldnt resist my cow mews :)

I think sometimes it depends on the elks mood.  Last year my buddy and were in a WY general area and could only get the occasional reply to our locators.  Some other guys walk in a few hundred yards away and continually let off some of the most God awful sounding bulges (could tell it was an external reed), but the elk would hit it almost every time...

Brad: Did you ever stop and think that maybe your buddy was just a little better caller than you? LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seems like everyone is trying to improve on the plastic WalMart baseball bat! One of those plastic stool plungers doesn't sound all that bad either.

I suppose it is like with diaphragms , find the one that seems to work the best for you!

Back