What kind of diaphram calls do you use? bugling and cow calling

What kind of diaphram calls do you use? votE twice if use different for bugles/cow calls

• Rocky mountain game calls

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • phelps

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • primos

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • carltons

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • dual

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • external tube/call

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • anything else i didnt mention

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 28, 2016
choose which diaphragm you use and what specific type for what call, id really like some input. ive called for over 10 years now. back in the day I just used external calls but once primos introduced the pallet plate it was a whole new ball game. since then rocky mountain game calls (RMGC) has the plate on top and now the phelps AMP reeds are released with the dome over top. I used prImos for years but they lacked consistency, I switched to rocky mountain game calls for past 5 years and have had nothing but success but I go threw about 10 buggling reeds each season and the inconsistency drives me crazy in September, once weather cools off and such, they all litterly wear out. I also used RMGC reeds for cow talking but this year ive switched the cow language over to the phelps AMP reeds. the consistency was bang on for cow talk with the new amps but I cant seem to bugle with them, just doesn't sound right or loud enough for me.. BUT my main question is what reeds do you use to bugle? ive used the blue RMGC reed with pallet plate for 5 years and cant seem to find a diaphragm call to replace it.

btw I cant wait for coreys new reed...eeeeek

thx trent
eee-oooooooo
eeeee-ooooooooooo

I'm in the same boat.  I bugle well with the blue Rocky Mountain Mini-Master and the Primos white Sonic Dome call.  I like to use several of the Rocky Mountain calls for cow calling (All-Star, Mistress, and Rockstar), but struggle to produce good, consistent bugles using them.  When I bugle, I think I'm using too much air pressure and can get away with it using the Mini Master and Sonic Dome due to the smaller designs of the calls. 

Mike

Very similar scenario. For me, I have found what works best is the motto, "less is more." I used to push pretty hard for those long rang location bugles or when trying to cutoff a bugle as I rip off a challenge bulge, but realized it doesn't take much. Another big changed I adopted is how I store my reeds while in the mountains. Over the years, my reeds went from just being just in my pants pocket to being in a glove or hat, to a arm or chest pocket, to now an empty can of chew with screw holes in it or an actual reed case. This allows for less unwanted pressure on the reed and for it maintain its dry state longer and wet when needed. 

I used the RMGC Bugling Bull Elk Herd NEW 4 pack. The Palet Place makes the latex longer lasting and easier to blow. Start off with less tongue pressure for lower notes. As you want higher notes, increase tongue pressure and air flow. The latex is stopped by the Palate Plate so you can't go any higher than the right note. The All Star is another great long lasting RMGC reed. 

http://www.elk101store.com/bugling-bull-elk-herd-4-pack-elk-diaphragm-calls 

Haha, I'm glad others are in the same boat as me. While I hunt I store reeds in a Primos plastic green case that holds 3 reeds and also in my mouth lots of the time walking. I havnt seen any other reed holding case on the market wink wink nudge nudge corey, commission though 2% off sales =) just kidding. carltons had a case that went around your neck I thought but havnt tried. I guess I may just try to perfect every bugle and when I F*** that 1 bugle up I get very disappointed and loose motivation at times. Ill try blowing softer but its hard to get that nice high note for a location bugle. The mistakes always come trying to hit that high note either bang on or holy man every one clear the area heres a hunter hahahaha.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back