what stage fits you most?

What stage are you in, in your hunting career?

• Meat hunter

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Trophy hunter

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Just going to go, killing something is just icing on the cake

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • other

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
I'm in the same boat. Every year I tell myself i'm going to hold for a big one but I love deer/elk meat so much I end up filling my tag on the first thing that walks out. Deer meat taste way better that tag Sandwich

I guess I would meet a few of the choices since I usually hold off shooting a smaller bull or a cow until the last couple of days of the hunt. Even though there is always the chance of not putting meat in the freezer.

I do a little bit of all of that depending on the situation and time of the season. When it comes down to it I am more about the meat.

I hunt for meat first and foremost. With that said, elk hunting is about bugling bulls. nothing is more fun for me than getting close to a screaming elk..

Love to hunt but taking an animal is not always necessary.  Its more about getting away from it all for me.  Out witting the game we seek. 

Being an old timer I am out for the hunt, the experience, the antlers, the meat, the preparation and the entire package. That being said, it has to be a solid 5 pt these days to pack one out.

Being that im new to elk hunting tendency is the first legal bull for archery andusually i have a cow tag for 1st rifle, so first cow i come across. But i really would like a heavy 5 or 6 pt on the wall, im just not patient enough this early on in my career, i guess.

Although the goal is definitely to wrap my notched tag around an antler, I go with the mind set to see how it plays out. I passed on a cow this year the day before getting my Idaho bull, but I'm not sure I'll always have the fortitude to do that.  I'm still in the "every one's a trophy" stage, and I just love being out there.

Grew up in a family of 10 and raised 7 kids with my wife ,It has always been about the meat.now im the only one that eats it here  and I love it still but I dont need that much any more.Now passing on allot of animals,I would rather not shoot one than shoot somthing I dont want.In the past 6 years have taken 3 B&C mullies and a nice elk.And taken 100s of pics. :) loven every minute of it.

For mule deer I'm in the trophy only stage, for elk I'm very much if its brown its down - they taste too good, and our general zones don't put out particularly big bulls, at least not with great frequency.

I would say I am in the trophy range and I would rather eat my tag than take a cow. Not saying its a bad thing to do that but I just feel I am more dedicated to the cause going for a unique one, doesn't have to be trophy by books standards just my own and how it was accomplished.

For right now since I hunt with me dad and can't get to far back, I will take what comes along. Once he stops hunting I would like to find a nice 300+ bull some time before I have to stop hunting.

I shoot the first legal elk I see.  I measure success by how much meat I have in the freezer after a hunt.  No kill means no meat and that means I wasn't successful.  It's still fun, but I'm out there to kill an elk.  So far that has gotten me cows and spikes but eventually I'll get a good bull.

I would say im just going to go and if i get something then its definitely icing on the cake but there are times im a meat hunter as well.

I think there are definitely stages that a hunter goes through.  I don't mind going home with tag soup, as long as I get out there and give it my best effort.
  • First day pass on Spike, Cow and Raghorn? ------ >  YES
  • Last 4 days of the hunt shoot Spike, Cow or Raghorn?  ------>  YES
I've been hunting elk for many years now and my goal is to kill the herd bull, but would gladly take 5x5 or any 6x6 from day one to end of hunt.

Obsessed!  Completely!  All I can think about is testing myself against Mother Nature and seeing if I belong on the top of the food chain.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back