What stove to buy?

birddog

Jan 20, 2013
Looking at buying a jetboil or something of the sorts just wanted some input on what you guys are using and pros and cons of each.

I have a jet boil and I absolutely love it. Fuel cans last for substantial amount of time and everything packs up into the unit. It's a hair on the heavy end of things, but for the convenience and dependability I'd put it up against anything on the market.

i have a jet boil to. I didn't know there were optional size, I think its the standard size which holds a canister, stove and optional base. As far as weight goes, compare other stoves and then add the weight of your pot. I think it ends up close to about the same weight. I backpack hunt a lot and stick with easy to make Mtn houses, Starbucks coffee and oatmeal, so I don't require a pantry of pots and pans. I have found one canister to last a week, after that the canister is retired to the truck camp and I pack in a new canister for the next hunt. Also it is fast to set up and tear down and doesn't require voodoo magic like my ancient whisper light. If there is a con then two things, some older jet boils don't work well in the extreme cold and it may be consider bulky.

I also have the standard size.  They make a more compact size called the "sol" I think.  Same diameter but "snubbed" in height.  If you want to shave off a couple ounces.  A drawback for the jetboil is it's use as an open flame stove for a skillet.  If you need to use it as such the jetboil skillet is necessary since otherwise the flame will be too concentrated and burn whatever you are cooking. 

Have both the Sol and PCS. Sol is smaller and a little lighter version. They make titanium model thats lighter. If boiling just water can't be beat. Havn'et  tried to use fry pan.

Jet Boil is my personal favorite.  The pan works alright but I would only use that in camp.  I like the insulated cup.  It heats up quick and one can of fuel lasts a week if used to heat water.  Its a nice little system and make sure to get the 4 season fuel if your going to be seeing cold temps.  This helps as the mixture in standard fuel has some temp issues.

It all depends what you plan on using your stove for as well as when you want to use it.  I own a pocket rocket, superfly, and whisperlite (all by MSR) as well as a jetboil.  I live and hunt in NW MT and the temperature rarely gets cold enough to warrant special fuel (whisperlite) to prevent freezing.  The jetboil is a great system but oftentimes, more than I need.  My two go to stoves are the superfly and pocket rocket.  Both weigh only a few ounces and nest (with the small jetboil fuel) nicely in my titanium mug.  Pair that with a $2 hot lips from snowpeak and I've got everything I need.  I can boil a pint or so of hot chocolate while glassing that is too hot to drink in only a 3 or 4 minutes.  I believe the superfly also comes with an igniter which might be nice, but I carry several different means to make fire.  Hope this helps.

I've been using a SnowPeak Giga Power stove (with starter) for a couple years and have no complaints. I picked it up at REI for about $40 (not sure what they go for now) found a titanium mug kit to go with it and it boils water with the best of them.
My favorite item from my cooking kit is the "long spoon" that I also picked up at REI- it makes easy work of the Mountain House and other bag meals.

I use the Pocket Rocket by MSR..with the GSI pinnacle soloist.  Awesome combo of size, weight and cooking capacity.

As Big Country said it depends on how you want to use it. I have been backpacking for 23 years and I spend a lot of time in the woods. I currently have 5 backpacking stoves. The Pocket Rocket, Micro Rocket and Dragon Fly by MSR, then I have the JetBoil Sol and Sol Ti. Before you ask why that many? I have 3 kids who backpack and hunt with me. 2 are in Boy Scouts. I also have a 3 burner Camp Chef for base camp and family camping.
For light and fast quick trips I use the Micro Rocket with a GSI Halulite Minimalist cook set. Fully packed is 16.5 oz. I can strip it down for an evening hunt where I might stay on the mountain to 13.3 oz. and toss it in my day pack.
For a week to 2 cooking mountain house meals the JetBoils are great.
For Multi week or multi people I go with the Dragon Fly. It is heavy but you split-up the stove, fuel and pots between everyone. It is a multi-fuel stove and will even burn unleaded gas. So any leftover fuel goes in the truck. 
I will post a vid of the different stoves once I learn to use my new video camera.

Attachments

• full set.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 2
  • full set packed.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 0
  • full set weight.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 1
  • microrocket fired-up.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 1
Howdy,

My favorite is the Kelly Kettle. (I like the stainless kit)  It uses any fuel around which is both free and has no fuel weight in my pack.  What if you run out of fuel with the other stoves when you need it most?

See:  http://www.kellykettleusa.com

:)

I have had quite a few over the years starting with a Svea I wish I still had.
Currently using MSR Dragonfly,had it 15 yrs. It always works under any condition.
I like the multi-fuel capablity,as I dislike throw away containers.
I just use the same Coleman fuel I get for lanterns and big campstove.
I have a Titanium cookset that is light to offset stove/fuel weight.

I'm 59 and and hunt solo.If I can't carry a few extra ounces gear wise,I have no business trying to get an elk out!

Pics of my stoves. From left to right are the Micro rocket, pocket rocket, Jetboil Sol Ti, Jetboil Sol and the MSR Dragon fly.

Attachments

• stoves.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 3
  • stoves2.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 0
  • stovespacket.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 0

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back