What's everyone doing to stay in shape these last few weeks before archery elk?

B

Bull_Fighter

I've been in the gym since December, 3 days a week, and running 2-4 miles at least 2 days per week. I've lost about 25lbs. I've been working my legs more than I ever have. Yesterday was a leg day and I skipped the gym in favor of the Boise foothills. The steep climbing set my legs on fire like the gym is unable to do. Anyone else hitting the hills hard to get the legs and lungs in shape? Every minute of that workout sucked, but I'm thinking it must be my best bet to get in shape these last few weeks.

What's your favorite hills/mountains/in-the-field workout technique?

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week. do mostly weight training, with the occasional cardio session. I have a fairly active career and am on my feet all day. I get plenty of cardio during the day. I live at 7000 ft and hike all spring and early summer at 8000-9000 ft. I am ready for elk season year round.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This will be my first elk hunt coming this September DYI otc archery colorado for 2.5 weeks to be exact.

I am not exactly sure how my body will adapt to the mountains but I am trying everything I can do physically to push my cardio and mobility. This is what for the last two months this has what my training entails including what august will entail.

Monday to Friday with 50hr work week
-Bow range everyday before work 30-45 mins with/without pack
-Run/jog 4-5 miles everyday either during lunch break or after work
-After work I mow two of my bosses lawns once a week with a 60lbs pack if not I will bring my pack to the gym and walk 3 or so miles on the stair master.
-late evening ill do crossfit inspired workouts, cleans, squats, box jumps, step ups, alot of kettle bell!
-Before bed I will do a 12 min Yoga infused stretch routine. I actually perform this youtube video https://youtu.be/fxsQr7YOq7o After that I will foam roll my back and legs. This is probably the most important this to do for recovering on how hard I push myself.

Weekends (active work rest)
-Bartend 12 hrs on Saturday
-Bartend 8 hrs sunday

I have a crazy ass schedule but I manage to train like a beast. Momentum is key. Also on a ketogenic diet, lots of vitamins and gallon of water a day.

Ohboytimmy said:
-Before bed I will do a 12 min Yoga infused stretch routine. I actually perform this youtube video https://youtu.be/fxsQr7YOq7o After that I will foam roll my back and legs. This is probably the most important this to do for recovering on how hard I push myself.

Thanks for the Yoga tip. I'm going to try this video. Been wanting to do a bit more stretching and never really tried Yoga.

I have amped everything up as we get closer just like you guys have.

Monday: HIIT with kettle bells and sandbags
Tuesday: Run 2-4 miles high speed ( as much as I can anyways)
Wednesday: Shoulders Biceps and back
Thursday: 6-10 miles with my pack (35 lbs)
Friday: Chest, abs specific, triceps
Saturday: Long hike with day pack (15lbs)
Sunday: Off

Nutrition has been more important than anything else though.

With the seasons nearing, it's probably time see what everyone is doing to prepare!

I'm currently working a 5 day on 2 day off routine.
Nothing fancy, but:
Saturday: Chest, core, mile run, 15 minutes cardio
Sunday: Back, core, mile run, 25 minutes cardio
Monday: Off
Tuesday: Arms, core, mile run, 25 minutes cardio
Wednesday: Legs, core, mile run, 30 minutes cardio
Thursday: Shoulders, core, mile run, 25 minutes cardio
Friday: Off

I'm also doing extra hikes a couple days a week with a 40lb pack, usually on a family walk, scouting trip, camera check, etc.

What are you all doing to prepare for your season?

I've been getting in a lot more cardio this year. Trying to fit it in every day whether it's running or hiking with a pack. I've never liked cardio but I figured I'd give it a shot this year prior to the season. I've never struggled with not being in good enough shape to get where I want to go each day, but I'm hoping the extra cardio will help me not feel as tired at the end of each day. I know, good luck right?  :p

Feeling great right now.

Today was a killer leg workout, cardio, and then I threw the treadmill on incline and hiked up an additional 2 miles at a fast pace to burn the end of the workout.

I am going to be sprinting across the mountain tops this year!

This year I'm in for a challenge.  Landscaping last year I stepped in a hole wrong and almost blew my knee. 4 months of physical therapy I was solid.  Buuuuut my foot was jacked. Had a tear in my plantar plate ligament, one of my bones needed to be shortened, my toe got essentially shortened, and I had a gastronomical recession (they cut the calf muscle because it's too tight pulled your toes under).  I have a rod, three bolts and cabling in my foot. I've been working hardto get back to where I was before I went down.  It's tough, it hurts, and that's elk hunting.  It won't get me down, for sure this year though I'll be challenging myself to the max. Surgery was 12-19-16.  I'm amped and ready to push my limits!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 12
Kdkehoe said:
This year I'm in for a challenge.  Landscaping last year I stepped in a hole wrong and almost blew my knee. 4 months of physical therapy I was solid.  Buuuuut my foot was jacked. Had a tear in my plantar plate ligament, one of my bones needed to be shortened, my toe got essentially shortened, and I had a gastronomical recession (they cut the calf muscle because it's too tight pulled your toes under).  I have a rod, three bolts and cabling in my foot. I've been working hard to get back to where I was before I went down.  It's tough, it hurts, and that's elk hunting.  It won't get me down, for sure this year though I'll be challenging myself to the max. Surgery was 12-19-16.  I'm amped and ready to push my limits!!

Wow, Kdkehoe.....  I'm sorry to hear that.
It's great to hear it's not taking you out of the season though. 
Best of luck to you this season and don't push it too hard haha

When I was in New Mexico at a higher altitude, training seemed a little less important. Now that I am in North Dakota... It seems like I cant train enough. Luckily I have a rifle hunt in October this year vs. first season archery which is what I typically get. Good luck to all!

Mountain biking.

admittedly the biking really is to control my work stress..not so much stay in any mountain shape.

I've been ramping up my training the past few weeks. In the gym 3 days a week lifting weights, running at least 3 miles 2-3 times a week. I make sure to get a leg day in every week at the gym, but I've also added running stairs to the mix on what used to be an off day. I've been in Idaho's tallest building running the 17 floors of stairs up and down 3 times. It's the toughest thing out of everything I'm doing. I think it's going to really pay off in the Idaho mountains this year. It seems like you can't do enough to get the legs in the shape they need to be in, so I'm really focused on that this last few weeks before the season.

I'm suppose to be behaving right now with elk season so close, but I'm in England right now and I just couldn't say no to these full English breakfasts.... ;)

Looks like I'll be increasing my cardio today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_2109.JPG
    IMG_2109.JPG
    508.3 KB · Views: 10
DTP said:
I'm suppose to be behaving right now with elk season so close, but I'm in England right now and I just couldn't say no to these full English breakfasts.... ;)

Looks like I'll be increasing my cardio today!

Looks healthy to me!

Im about a week away from leaving and I generally just focus on hiking, cardio, and core type stuff. Nothing crazy because we don't need any last minute injuries.....

It's almost go time!

DTP said:
Im about a week away from leaving and I generally just focus on hiking, cardio, and core type stuff. Nothing crazy because we don't need any last minute injuries.....

It's almost go time!

Absolutely avoiding injury with 7 days til go time. Jogging and hiking is all!

I've been trying to do double time everything I do at work (landscaping). Within reason double the load and push myself to a hustle just below a slow jog keep the heart rate up and muscles moving. I keep my pack on my back around the house as well with 30-50 pounds.  My wife has some interesting comments at times. For example this evening it was no words, just a look as I was rocking out 8mo old to sleep bottle in hand. Mystery ranch weighted on my back lol

This trip to England has killed me a little.... well, it may have been more of a self inflicted wound ;)

I keep finding meals like this
No worries though. I fly home today and will be able to finish out this last week with some extremely long morning hikes.  I generally get up at 3am to start transitioning into my hunting schedule and I'll hike for 90-120 minutes. 

Have I mentioned that I'm ready for elk season to be here?

Attachments

• IMG_2138.JPG
    IMG_2138.JPG
    643.4 KB · Views: 8

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back