Who packs a pistol?

380? man thats small i hope your useing a round that causes damage in that thing even a 9 is to small for me i prefer my m&p shield for backpacking 40. cal or my judge and with my judge in some states i can change up the diet and pop a grouse or squirrel or bunny at close range with the 410 round

I have always packed one. After this year I always will. My 12 year old son and I were working a big 6 point bull when I heard loud puffing noises. Looked to the left and a black bear sow and two cubs were coming to my son calling. One cub went behind him and the sow immediately charged when she saw him. I don't even remember what I did with my bow, but I put two rounds in front of her feet, It stopped her and the cubs took off. One more step and I would have shot her. We put our packs back on and were a little shook up, when she came back. I grabbed my son and slowly walked backwards up the mountain.  Called Mom later that evening and she drove 4 hours with some bear spray for my son. :)

I carry a Taurus 24/7 9mm 17 rd clip.
I don't hunt bow anymore,but always have it scouting, guiding,hunting.  For cats,bears,follow up shots and 2 legged critters. 
It's a county ordinance here that every household have a firearm for protection....no crime to speak of here.

Just carry my bow....no pistol, no spray....just my Matthews and five Meat Missiles tipped with Muzzy's.

Dont bow hunt, but when I am scouting and shed hunting I always have my .45 ACP (cats scare me more than anything). And when I am flyfishing, I normally carry my .380 (more thinking about problem 2 legged critters).

bear spray, and my 12 gauge in a tac sling.  Added weight, yes, but I dont worry about if its going to stop what I shooting if it comes to it.  Had Wolves push me off a mountain, 6 yearsago and i felt at that time my 9mm was not going to be enough, too many of them...

I recenctly got a 9mm xd just for bow season. Its my first pistol but im already thinking I should have bought the .45 for a little more peice of mind. I Figured a 16 shot clip should be enough when I got the 9mm to scare anything off. Especially 2 legged critters.

Depends on where you are hunting a 9mm will take care of most critters but if you were going to upgrade I would check out a 10mm vs a .45 just my opinion though. Last year in colorado I didn't carry anything but after I called in a cat my buddy carried his everyday.  However when I go to Wyoming in two years you bet I'll be carrying mine on me then.

Ruger SR9C 9mm 17rd clip one in the chamber, you never know what or who you are going to meet in the woods here in North Idaho.

Last year (2015) I got a KY bow cow tag while talking with the KY Dept of Wildlife told me that I could wear open in KY so I did. While scouting I come upon some bear skat that was a big as a gallon can and right in the middle of the road at that. Well after that all I have is a 357 so it was like it had grown on me. Also I had coyotes right around camp I could hear and where I was hunting I found coyote,bobcat,bear deer and elk tracks. More than one of the locals told me about sightings of cougar also and I do believe them. But after carrying the 357 I think I was under gunned so I have decided that is the number 2 to buy a Ruger Redhawk in 454 casual or in 460 which I could shoot 45 Long Colt,454 casual or 460 and I know they are heavier but I could use to hunt with also. But I want something that will give me that stopping power if I need it. While talking to a man at Walmart he said he carried a pistol in 357 sig does anyone have any info on this he said he has 15 rounds just 10 more than I would in a Ruger because I like a empty chamber under the hammer I mean there wouldn't be much left if that went off and hit your leg because I would carry on chest. Give me some info back on these things. Thanks DT in E TN    Eph.3:20      1st. Kings21:3

I should be better than I am.  I hunt in grizzly country, hear wolves regularly, and have had to kill a lion at 20 yards that wouldn't leave.  I have been better about carrying bear spray, but never carry heat while bow hunting.  I'm just too relaxed in the woods.

Just my two cents here.  I've been thinking about what sidearm makes the most sense in the backcountry and I've decided it comes down to knowing your area.  In Lang's case, hunting in grizzly/wolf country means I'd more likely want to pack something with more of a punch.  In the area I hunt, the worst I'll come across is a black bear or cougar and to date, I've yet to have an issue with either.  A few years back I purchased a .357 revolver for but realized that having only 5 shots in a gun that kicks like a mule was not the smartest choice.  For that reason, I just purchased a Sig 9mm that can hold 15 rounds and for me, that makes me feel comfortable.  I really think my biggest concern is running into the wrong person in the backcountry so for me, I feel a 9mm with 15 rounds should do the trick.  More accurate shots on target is what I've decided to go with.  It also fits my hand better, my kit, and has the right features I like.

All that said, you have to know your area.  Is it high risk or low risk?  Choose a caliber appropriate for the area. 

Lastly, I've noticed that when this question comes up in forums, there area million different opinions on which caliber to use or not use but in reality, only a few hunters/hikers have actually had to employ said caliber while in the backcountry so unless you're that guy who has first hand experience with what works and what doesn't work when it hits the fan, it's really just educated speculation.  Most of the time our sidearms serve as a security blanket or something that makes us sleep better at night.  For that reason alone, I vote that whatever caliber makes you most comfortable/confident, that's the caliber you go for. 

Does anyone agree or disagree?  I have a feeling I'll be searching for that perfect gun my entire life!  haha

-Emory
www.byland.co

Bugle has published the best article I've seen that looked at as many bear attacks over the last 100 years or so.  The consensus was that it really didn't make a huge difference when firearms were used the bear still had a large percentage of causing damage.  Spray on the other hand was by far more effective at stopping a bear and coming away without injuries.  I know we are all super fast gun slingers, we just underestimate how quick attacks happen, and what that huge bolus of adrenaline does to our ability to react.

Thanks for the nice bit of knowledge Lang!  It's funny you bring that up because for the longest time, I've been of the mindset that if the bear wants to get you..there's very little you can do about it.  Animals full of adrenalin are capable of taking a lot of rounds before going down and if they happen to have a hold of you before they expire, it's going to be a rough day.  I think the bear spray idea is probably the best bet though I've never had to employ either method.  Plus, there's no risk of killing an animal that doesn't need to be killed.

Great input man.

Emory
byland.co

For you guys packing a revolver, what holster are you using? I have a .357 with a crappy Velcro holster that came with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back