Who packs a pistol?

One that goes bang several times... More for other creatures than Bears... Seems the bears are the smarter creatures you come across where one might need to use a sidearm while hunting with a weapon... :-\

I used to carry my .40 with me in my pack, but soon realized that if I needed access to it in case of emergency, it would do me little to no good. I am also the guy who walked up 60 yards from a black bear to take a picture of it. What do I know?  :eek:

I carry one along with Bear spray. The spray for the bears and the sidearm for everything other than a Bear. I was speaking with one of the Biologist in a Wolf area and they said the best time to hunt Wolf is during Elk season... The Wolves follow the Elk into the trees and then they kill them.... Um.... Ok.....

So as you see from this tidbit, I am not so worried about the Bears as you just have to be faster than the slowest person in the group.... It's the other things under the bed....

Had a run-in with a aggressive black bear this summer on a river trip. All I had was a Glock 9mm (43) and I felt completely inadequate. Fixed the problem by buying a Ruger SRH Alaskan in .454 Casull. It's a little heavy but I like the confidence of having a pistol that will handle business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 mag and bear spray. Glock 10 would also work....would think I'd use bear spray first,  however, I wouldn't hesitate on the 44. Unfortunately, by the time you realize they're on you it's oftentimes too late for either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

For whoever has claimed to carry a weapon for the 'two legged creatures'....it won't solve the problem....wow.

montanadreamer said:
For whoever has claimed to carry a weapon for the 'two legged creatures'....it won't solve the problem....wow.

I carry a weapon for "two legged creatures" daily and I can attest that it does solve problems. These days attack by a human type predator is far more likely than an animal.  Too many folks with nefarious motives running around.

I get that, but for hunting? I've never carried a weapon for defending myself against 2 legged creatures while hunting....

I get your point but I'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around.

SheepdogRob said:
I get your point but I'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around.

I completely agree.  I bring a lighter too, but don't smoke.

Had this discussion on carrying a sidearm while hunting today at work.

Personally it's one more peices of gear I'd have to worry about.  I've tried it during gun seasons and didn't like the extra weight on my belt either.  Might try it if I can find a better way to carry.l for archery.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

how are most of you carrying?  Chest rig/ holster on belt of backpack?  Im looking for options

Bignate said:

how are most of you carrying?  Chest rig/ holster on belt of backpack?  Im looking for options

I have a holster that clips on the waist belt of my pack.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back