Who uses a thumb release for hunting?

I use a Carter 4 finger Chocolate light. I asked Tim Gillingham (aka the hammer) what he uses and why and he said for hunting that is what he is using. I bought one after trying one out and this year finally started hunting with it. It is really comfortable and easy to shoot. I can clip it onto the string if I am sitting in a blind and when I pick up my bow it is ready to shoot. I don't have to worry about moving my eyes to clip the release onto my string. If I am spot and stalk hunting I keep it on a lanyard in a loop on my pack belt. It has the Carter excellence, and I know it won't break. ;D

I shot fingers for 50+ years until the summer of 2010. I decided to try the release style of shooting and wanted a release I could leave clipped to my bow. I saw that Bob Folkrod, long time finger shooter, was using a truball pro daimond release that you can leave hooked to your bow. You can set the release tight so that you push with your thumb to make the release let go, which is how I use it, or you can set it loose so you can use back tension to release it. I'm just a bow hunter and do not shoot competitively so I have no reason to shoot back tension release. Most of my hunting shots happen so quick I only have seconds to shoot so the push with my thumb release works perfect for me.

I use a Carter Just Cuz. I learned to use it with back tension and I shoot it accurately. Very comfortable
crisp trigger with no creep.

I use a TruBall Pro Diamond Extreme, but will probably be changing out soon to something with a bit crisper trigger.

I use a Carter BK Target for all my archery started using a back tension in1997 indoors and fell in love with it. I like that i can clip it to my D-loop and have my hands free to call with or rangefind my animals.

I thought about giving it a shot this year or at least buying one and practicing with it.  So we will see what happens.

I thought about going to a thumb release but stuck with my index.  Talked to a pro who said if you have to punch a shot off quick at least with an index you punch in line with the arrow rather than throwing it one way or another.

Im going to order one this week and use it as a back up just incase something goes wrong with my index release.

BullHunter said:
Im going to order one this week and use it as a back up just incase something goes wrong with my index release.
Make sure you know were your hitting with both.  Switching from a wrist strap style to a thumb T handle style will often have your arrows hitting the target differently.  I recommend buying the exact same release you typically shoot for a back up.
The Carter Target 4 and the Carter Simple 1 are both great releases as are all of the Carter releases.  For a wrist style the Spot Hog Wise guy is by far the best wrist release I have ever used.

I switched to a TruBall Pro diamond extreme last season. and I LOVE it! I have never shot better in my life! I highly recommend!

I really like the stan super X and the spott hog whipper snapper.  Much crisper trigger than some of the others.  There are many reasons to try one so go see your local dealer and ask him if you can try a few before you make the call.

I just got a Trufire edge 4-finger and shot it last night, It was a little awkward on the first few draws, but I really like this release. I put a wrist sling on it of loop rope. I have been shooting wrist caliper release over 25 years, so I Guess I am an old dog, but I like the new release

pro diamond extreme i use it because if you know how to use it rite , u can use it like a back tension, and then you do not get no punch. and you will see yer practice groups will be tighter without the busted lip

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back