Wilderness Hunting in Montana

ridgerunner123

Mar 23, 2013
I am reading thru these topics and see nothing about Montana. I am into my 7th year as an elk hunting guide/packer in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Mt, and am baffled at the lack of interest in the wilderness elk hunting. With one of the few opportunities in the country to hunt elk in the rut with a rifle, in an absolutely incredible backdrop, with strong elk numbers and little competition. I am slightly baffled that more people aren't interested. Is it the physical demand that comes with hunting millions of acres of roadless areas? The idea of hunting with horses? Or simply the lack of knowledge that the opportunity even exists? I know well that despite the fear of wolves diversely effecting the hunting, the elk population is strong and thriving, and the opportunity to get a really nice bull during the rut is prominent. What keeps you from hunting in the wilderness in Montana?

Attachments

• dual bulls.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 10
  • TWO BULLS.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 10
Oh, these two bulls in the picture were killed less than a minute apart from the same spot. One at 500 plus yards, and the other at 30. It was 25 plus miles from the nearest road in MT. Both were bugling, and there were 5 other bulls in the group.

I have been guiding in the BOB for 5 years now. Hunting the elk in the rut with a rifle is amazing. I don't think people realize what an amazing opportunity there is in the wilderness. Its everything a dream hunt is made of.
1. Hunting deer and elk from Sept 15th - End of Nov.
2. Plenty of game
3. NO HUNTING PRESSURE
4. Unbelievable landscape

I would love to hunt the wilderness.  I would prefer to bow hunt but if rifle was all that was offered I would go that route.  Do you guys have websites for your outfitting business?

BullHunter said:
I would love to hunt the wilderness.  I would prefer to bow hunt but if rifle was all that was offered I would go that route.  Do you guys have websites for your outfitting business?

Unfortunately BullHunter, the outfit I am working with is under new ownership, and therefore has yet to get the website up and running. We are called Bullseye Adventures LLC, and hope to have the website up soon. We will offer bow hunts if requested, but typically get more interest in the backcountry rifle season. However, the bowhunting for the first two weeks of September can be stellar. I would be more than happy to give anyone info on our hunts and trips that we offer though. Message me if you would like.

I am always interested in a back country bull elk hunt. The issues usually come down to funds each year and the other hunts I am going on already. Securing tags can be the issue as well. Do you get outfitter tags alloted to you each year so they are gauranteed? Let me know some info on your hunts. I also would like to bow hunt if possible but not opposed to a good rifle hunt.

Love getting in deep in a wilderness unit - away from the roads, OHVs and crowds, hunting unpressurized elk can't be beat. Shot my biggest bull eleven miles back into the XXX wilderness ;) .  I usually  walk in and have a packer lined up to help pack out.  Never hunted the wilderness areas of MT but I am familiar with the Bob.  Maybe someday.

As you probably well know Montana has passed an initiative recently doing away with outfitter guaranteed tags. They are however reviewing possibilities that would allot outfitters with a certain number of non resident tags. However, to my knowledge thus far, they havefailed to sell all of the non resident tags during the draw and have had surplus tags every year since the law changed. So, if non resident hunters are interested, they can usually get the general tags as surplus, despite the drawing requirements. This also allows for a bit more time in deciding whether or not to hunt Montana, seeing as the drawing happens in mid March, and the surplus tags aren't available til mid summer.

Sounds like another great back up plan along with my Idaho archery hunts in case I fail to draw my elk tags each year. Thanks for the info.

Next thing you know everyone & their dog will be there, it's only a matter of time.  My state has exploded with "Primos" video hunters in the last 5 years.  Good luck with your hunting grounds.  Unwise to advertise......

I am from MT and just about an hours drive from the Bob/Scapegoat Wilderness. Think the main reason I never hunted the Bob was the fact that you essentially have to be on horseback to get into any "real" back country. Just don't have the funds and land to maintain the horses and packing my gear and if fortunately, pack an elk out 10-15 miles is just not feasible......fyi... MT Fish Wildlife and Parks have over 500 identify grizzlies via DNA within that wilderness!! ;)

WardDawg7 said:
Next thing you know everyone & their dog will be there, it's only a matter of time.  My state has exploded with "Primos" video hunters in the last 5 years.  Good luck with your hunting grounds.  Unwise to advertise......
I appreciate the advice and completely agree on not advertising the hunting grounds. However, with 2,000,000 acres of roadless area in the middle of the montana rockies, it doesn't worry me to think that every joe schmoe will be hunting it. What was it I read on here recently about 80 percent of elk hunters stay within a mile of a road. Good luck encroaching on my elk hunting grounds at that distance. I was thinking more like 30 miles from the nearest road.

ridgerunner123 said:
WardDawg7 said:
I appreciate the advice and completely agree on not advertising the hunting grounds. However, with 2,000,000 acres of roadless area in the middle of the montana rockies, it doesn't worry me to think that every joe schmoe will be hunting it. What was it I read on here recently about 80 percent of elk hunters stay within a mile of a road. Good luck encroaching on my elk hunting grounds at that distance. I was thinking more like 30 miles from the nearest road.

Our base camp is 32 miles from the trailhead and we spike out from there. In 5 seasons I have never seen another hunter or heard a gun shot that wasn't ours. That is the biggest draw for me is hunting an area that you have all to yourself.  :)

Sounds like an awesome hunt for those who can afford to pay for a guided trip.
Or for those who have horses...... oh yeah and then we have to mention the griz.
I would say the big reasons for not as many people hunting it is because of what was just stated. Elk hunting is expensive the way it is.

I suppose that I can understand the money part. But as far as the bears go, it is wise to be aware and know that they are there.But,as I am sure that LittleJohn would agree, the bears in the Bob are hardly a serious threat. Though I have had many encounters, some of which were very close, never did I ever feel threatened. 99 percent of the time the grizzlies turn and run away at the first contact with humans. Unlike a place like Yellowstone, the bears in the Bob are unfamiliar with human contact, and tend to be what they call good bears. In that they do exactly that, run away.

Everyone should experience the BOB once.

IMG_4113.jpg

packout.jpg

IMG_4206.jpg

I would like to ask as a non-resident, If you can not afford a guided hunt, do not have horses and not enough knowledge to deal with horses safely, then what would be the best options or methods to hunt the BOB?

Can a base camp near the edge of the wilderness work or a backpack trip in several miles. The distances that have been mentioned here may be doable for a backpack trip in, but when you start looking at carrying an elk out on your back, that changes everything.

What would be the best way to hunt the BOB Wilderness with the most success, if limited as described above?

ridgerunner123 said:
I suppose that I can understand the money part. But as far as the bears go, it is wise to be aware and know that they are there.But,as I am sure that LittleJohn would agree, the bears in the Bob are hardly a serious threat. Though I have had many encounters, some of which were very close, never did I ever feel threatened. 99 percent of the time the grizzlies turn and run away at the first contact with humans. Unlike a place like Yellowstone, the bears in the Bob are unfamiliar with human contact, and tend to be what they call good bears. In that they do exactly that, run away.

100% agreed. See plenty of Griz, never have had a bad experience with one. These are truly wild bears and do not want anything to do with humans. Not an issue in my mind. Use your common sense! Keep a clean camp.:}

nclonghunter said:
I would like to ask as a non-resident, If you can not afford a guided hunt, do not have horses and not enough knowledge to deal with horses safely, then what would be the best options or methods to hunt the BOB?

Can a base camp near the edge of the wilderness work or a backpack trip in several miles. The distances that have been mentioned here may be doable for a backpack trip in, but when you start looking at carrying an elk out on your back, that changes everything.

What would be the best way to hunt the BOB Wilderness with the most success, if limited as described above?

The reasons you mentioned above is why the Bob is what it is. Remote, Tough, Huge, without stock you are going to have a hard time experiencing a quality hunt. If you are going to hunt on foot there are better places to go. I am sure there is some good hunting along the edges of the bob, I don't have any experience with it.:}

ridgerunner,
You made some interesting points. I have yet to hunt in grizz country and its pretty intimidating reading some horror stories. Until I am able to go with someone to help me out, Ill stick to the areas where there aren't any.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back