2017 Other Big Game meat pole

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
Please share your 2017 other big game pictures in here.

Good luck this season and stay safe!

Went up to Wyo for my first archery pronghorn hunt over the weekend

Good start to the upcoming seasons

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 13.png
    779.6 KB · Views: 5
Yes - blinds over water holes

Here is a pic of my setup.
This is where I found my arrow after I shot the doe.
Compete pass thru from right shoulder to in front of opposite hind leg as she drank - 35yds

Attachments

• blind.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 6
Awesome pronghorns!  I've always wanted to stick a speed goat myself but here in MT they seem to know what's up before you can even begin to plan a stalk. lots of military belly crawling only to crest a small hill or ridge only to see the dust trail!  Didn't draw a tag this year which is ok. My elk will have most of my time consumed working around the fires.  There's no telling what I'm in store for.

script>

Xpn3oh

Montana goat from last friday near Decker. 74" gross P&Y. 63 yard shot at a water hole. Sat 11 hours total, high was 97 with no wind!!

This new pic posting method is beyond my grasp i guess.

Attachments

• 36364007020_911f69f828_k.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 6
KHNC said:
script>

Xpn3oh

Montana goat from last friday near Decker. 74" gross P&Y. 63 yard shot at a water hole. Sat 11 hours total, high was 97 with no wind!!

This new pic posting method is beyond my grasp i guess.

Dude that is a monster goat!  Awesome. Props for sitting so long. Congrats!!

[font=lucida grande, trebuchet ms, verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ND Archery buck[/font]

I went out the last two nights for this deer. For whatever reason he was coming out in daylight hours. Haunting me was what I assumed. Typically see good deer like this in daylight (shooting hours) for the first few days of the season and they tend to go nocturnal after losing their velvet. A north north east wind isnt favorable for the property this deer was on, went out to test my luck anyway. Deer were on the move early last night. Had a doe come by to the south of me at 6. She caught a scent of something she didnt like but must not have been a full nose of it. She hesitated, walked back and forth looking for the source, continued on after she calmed back down. As im watching to the south, keeping an eye on the doe, I hear crunching behind me. A doe and fawn coming up the creek bed hadsnuck in on me. The wind was perfect for this trail, I had plenty of time so I took some video and a picture wishing they were bucks. Nice seeing deer moving this early. I was hoping it was due to the weather system moving through, but who knows. Time is passing and I caught movement again, another doe to the south. She passed with no hesitation. I check the time and its 745, 15 minutes to sunset. Movement on the trail to the north of me, turns out to be a smaller buck and its the one traveling with the buck im after. Watching him circle down into the ravine my stand is in I grab my bow. As I turn around, reaching for my bow, I hear crunching of leaves down to my left on the same trail the doe and fawn had passed on. I see tall heavy tines through the thick brush and I know which deer it is. My heart started beating pretty hard and I kept reminding myself to stay calm. I have a mantra I go over when practicing, trying to stay calm, but I kept getting it wrong. Funny how buck/bull fever gets to a guy. The deer is calm. The wind is good. I gather myself and come to full draw with the buck slightly quartering away. Set my anchor and get the mantra right this time settling the pin. A good thump and he hunched up wasting no time fleeing the area. I hear a loud crash seconds later. Confident with the blood and shot, I opt to back out and give him some time. 30 minutes and 60 yards later im up the trail and looking at a white belly in my headlamp light. It was a late night. Got him d boned and in the fridge. Working on the trimmings tonight and trying to savor the moment.

Attachments

• 2017.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 4
  • As he Lay.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 3
BrentLaBere said:
[font=lucida grande, trebuchet ms, verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ND Archery buck[/font]

I went out the last two nights for this deer. For whatever reason he was coming out in daylight hours. Haunting me was what I assumed. Typically see good deer like this in daylight (shooting hours) for the first few days of the season and they tend to go nocturnal after losing their velvet. A north north east wind isnt favorable for the property this deer was on, went out to test my luck anyway. Deer were on the move early last night. Had a doe come by to the south of me at 6. She caught a scent of something she didnt like but must not have been a full nose of it. She hesitated, walked back and forth looking for the source, continued on after she calmed back down. As im watching to the south, keepingan eye on the doe, I hear crunching behind me. A doe and fawn coming up the creek bed had snuck in on me. The wind was perfect for this trail, I had plenty of time so I took some video and a picture wishing they were bucks. Nice seeing deer moving this early. I was hoping it was due to the weather system moving through, but who knows. Time is passing and I caught movement again, another doe to the south. She passed with no hesitation. I check the time and its 745, 15 minutes to sunset. Movement on the trail to the north of me, turns out to be a smaller buck and its the one traveling with the buck im after. Watching him circle down into the ravine my stand is in I grab my bow. As I turn around, reaching for my bow, I hear crunching of leaves down to my left on the same trail the doe and fawn had passed on. I see tall heavy tines through the thick brush and I know which deer it is. My heart started beating pretty hard and I kept reminding myself to stay calm. I have a mantra I go over when practicing, trying to stay calm, but I kept getting it wrong. Funny how buck/bull fever gets to a guy. The deer is calm. The wind is good. I gather myself and come to full draw with the buck slightly quartering away. Set my anchor and get the mantra right this time settling the pin. A good thump and he hunched up wasting no time fleeing the area. I hear a loud crash seconds later. Confident with the blood and shot, I opt to back out and give him some time. 30 minutes and 60 yards later im up the trail and looking at a white belly in my headlamp light. It was a late night. Got him d boned and in the fridge. Working on the trimmings tonight and trying to savor the moment.

HOLY SMOKES!
That's a stud, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!
He's definitely carrying some great mass and I love the tall tines and split G2!!!

edit: so much for me not getting fired up for whitetail season..... THANKS BRENT!

Killer deer!

That's a stud Brent, congrats.....

the older I get, the more I appreciate whitetail hunters and their tenacity/skills. I didn't give whitetails the respect they deserved in my younger years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back