2017 Other Big Game meat pole

My wife just drug my tired little behind in from the deer camp... Congratulations to Dan AGAIN!!!👍👍👍
I do have a picture or two to post when I wake up from a good nights sleep...

sn.outdoors said:
I've been at it hard this year. I killed these 3 magnificent animals in the last 3 and a half weeks.

389dc3f6541066dc00ed200cd883476b.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Congrats! was your auodad a pay to play hunt or did you diy some of the general units?

backcountry_hunter said:
sn.outdoors said:
I've been at it hard this year. I killed these 3 magnificent animals in the last 3 and a half weeks.

389dc3f6541066dc00ed200cd883476b.jpg

Congrats! was your auodad a pay to play hunt or did you diy some of the general units?
It was OTC unlimited on public land. Anyone can show up and hunt them.

45b6facd81f025235d0fb229f10e1155.jpg

#2 for Florida!

f3b932090b7190ff47ad302d5a96800c.jpg

Preferred packing method ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a little R&R from the muzzleloader deer hunt here in south Arkansas I've actually got a picture or two to post this year.... This being the 1st time I've been hunting since the trials and tribulations of last fall and all the drama from this spring and summer I finally made a full week at the deer camp with the help of my wife, oldest son, oldest grandson and a bunch of good friends...

2016 was tough for me both deer and duck hunting... I did manage to finally kill a mature doe right at the end of season and 2 greenheads for the entire duck season...

Now to 2017... We saw a lot of deer, had fun and enjoyed the company of everyone that was at camp... Most days were uneventful just watching deer, no legal bucks, an other small critters... But on Wednesday morning thing got interesting... I have 3 shooting lanes that I watch from my stand surrounded by a thick pine and blackberry brier thicket... 1 to my left, 1 to my right and 1 in front of me...

8:15 AM my wife was reading her book, she has never hunted but now goes with me for peace of mind... I was scanning each lane and as my eyes came to the lane in front I saw something that wasn't there a few seconds ago.... And yep, I know every blade of grass, shadow, sun spot, tree limb and what ever else is in each lane by heart... It was an unlucky coyote that just happened to be there when he shouldn't... He came strolling down the lane getting closer and closer until he got within about 75 yards and finally turned enough for me to get a decent broadside shot...

1st shot...

Then at 9:25 AM this little guy found his way thru the thick stuff to the edge of the lane to my right about 50 yards from the stand... Stuck his head out for a look and then stepped out of the thick stuff into the lane... He tarried a bit too long...

2nd shot...

My on site photographer was a bit too excited and didn't get any pictures... She was so intent of getting him loaded in the Ranger with the coyote I guess... The only pictures we got were at the skinning rack... We couldn't load him alone and had to go get help. No cellphone signal in the area I hunt for the 1st time this year...

2017 is looking pretty good so far even though the 1st buck in 2 years was a bit on the small side...

The modern gun season opens Nov 11th... We plan to be there, in wait for them again....

Way to go Phil! I'm glad to hear you were able to make it out this year and getting to scratch the itch on that trigger finger had to feel pretty darn good I imagine  :-D

Dan's a freezer filling machine!!

Congrats Phil!! So glad to see you're able to get out and get it done!!

I was able to take my first OK whitetail of the season this weekend with my bow.  No real good pictures but a nice doe for the freezer.

colorado russ said:
Dan's a freezer filling machine!!

Congrats Phil!! So glad to see you're able to get out and get it done!!

I was able to take my first OK whitetail of the season this weekend with my bow.  No real good pictures but a nice doe for the freezer.

Congrats again on the doe!!!

Way to go Phil! Glad to see you are still kicking. :upthumb: :upthumb:

Nice to see your still getting it done Phil. Wish we could get you into the high country one last time.

Rdub said:
Nice to see your still getting it done Phil. Wish we could get you into the high country one last time.

Even using my oxygen concentrator I used up 14 B cylinders (6 cubic foot) and 2 E cylinders (24 cubic foot) for the 8 days we were at camp... We did have a power outage that lasted about 10 hours that week...

So you see it's nearly impossible for me to make it back to the high country... :downthumb: :downthumb:

I sure wish I could but just glad to be able to make another hunt her at home... :upthumb: :upthumb:

Thanks everyone... The rest of the family ended up with 2 doe for the week... That make 4 doe and a buck so far this season... Almost as many as Dan... :lol: :lol:

backcountry_hunter said:
as I understand it, that's a pretty incredible feat..... well done!

Thanks! Yeah, there really aren't many sheep that size or age class left in that area. The combination of extremely rugged terrain, high level of hunting pressure, and the wariness of the sheep make that Barbary the largest trophy I've ever killed. I could hunt that area for the rest of my life and possibly never kill one that big again.

But even more important than the animal itself, the hunt was unique and a special experience I'll never forget. I met some great people on that cliff, who I will likely call my friends for rest of my life. It was a hunt of a lifetime.

Ol Arky said:
Rdub said:

Even using my oxygen concentrator I used up 14 B cylinders (6 cubic foot) and 2 E cylinders (24 cubic foot) for the 8 days we were at camp... We did have a power outage that lasted about 10 hours that week...

So you see it's nearly impossible for me to make it back to the high country... :downthumb: :downthumb:

I sure wish I could but just glad to be able to make another hunt her at home... :upthumb: :upthumb:

Thanks everyone... The rest of the family ended up with 2 doe for the week... That make 4 doe and a buck so far this season... Almost as many as Dan... :lol: :lol:

You guys are stacking them up!
When are you heading back out, Phil?

I'll be off to KY here in a few days!

Going back to deer camp either Nov 9th or 10th for another full week of modern gun season and then Thanksgiving weekend again after that... No other plans but will play it by ear... Oldest grandson wants to tag out this year... 6 tags is a lot for a 16 year old... But he's already filled 2 with his bow and going back this weekend during the youth hunt and hunt more with his bow while his younger brothers hunt with their rifles... I'm not pushing my luck and going this weekend since all the kids are covered and I want to be able to hunt as much as I can this fall...

Good luck on your Kentucky hunt... They have some big deer... Kill a big for me... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I forgot... All the deer kill by us this fall have been killed on my section of the lease... I guess I'm going to have to even it up unless the do during the youth hunt... :grin: :grin:

Ol Arky said:
Going back to deer camp either Nov 9th or 10th for another full week of modern gun season and then Thanksgiving weekend again after that... No other plans but will play it by ear... Oldest grandson wants to tag out this year... 6 tags is a lot for a 16 year old... But he's already filled 2 with his bow and going back this weekend during the youth hunt and hunt more with his bow while his younger brothers hunt with their rifles... I'm not pushing my luck and going this weekend since all the kids are covered and I want to be able to hunt as much as I can this fall...

Good luck on your Kentucky hunt... They have some big deer... Kill a big for me... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I forgot... All the deer kill by us this fall have been killed on my section of the lease... I guess I'm going to have to even it up unless the do during the youth hunt... :-D :-D

That's awesome your oldest killed two so far this year at age 16! We need to put an elk in front of him!

Good luck to you all  :upthumb:

I'll do my best in KY and OK. I have a full freezer already, so theoretically I should hold out for something bigger, but...... I just love shooting stuff  :haha:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back