2018 Other Big Game meat pole

ribo451 said:
I finally filled a deer tag. He's got short points but is 17" wide. Nicest buck I saw while hunting all season. I can also tell you he was heavy because I had to drag him 3.5 miles back to the car. 8" of snow helped a lot.

Great buck! Congrats!!!

Good job!

But dang! Who drags deer???

I wouldnt drag a deer further than 100yds, especially when you can quarter them up and pack them out in the amount of energy and time it takes to drag.

If there hadn't been snow I would have had a meat cart with me. Dragging him wasn't bad because it's all uphill on the way in there so the trip out is all down. I took a sled up there a couple years ago and shot a nice one and I basically walked behind the sled and steered it with the rope while it slid down the hill on it's own. The hardest part I had was getting him into the back of the truck by myself with no hills to back up to.

cnelk said:
Good job!

But dang! Who drags deer???

I wouldnt drag a deer further than 100yds, especially when you can quarter them up and pack them out in the amount of energy and time it takes to drag.

In WI where I hunt with my dad you can't quarter the animal because of CWD (carcass needs to be disposed of correctly), luckily a whitetail deer is awfully small compared to an elk so dragging one is relatively easy. I only got a doe, but hauling her back to the car was infinitely easier than hauling out my Cow in quarters.

We did quarter after, but the area we hunt we are not allowed to leave Head/Spinal cord etc. in the woods. Which is why we had to drag them out. Since we butchered it ourselves we had to dispose of those parts in a CWD specific dumpster. They have them setup all throughout Wisconsin for proper disposal.

Just got back from a quick late season antelope hunt. Filled 3 of 5 tags and I was fortunate enough to fill mine, but I completely forgot to take pictures. I?ll try to get some when we get busy with the processing.

In the meantime, here?s a picture of the euro mount I had done on my deer:

c1139cafde1fba65c35ace1098decfa8.jpg

cohunter14 said:
Just got back from a quick late season antelope hunt. Filled 3 of 5 tags and I was fortunate enough to fill mine, but I completely forgot to take pictures. I?ll try to get some when we get busy with the processing.

In the meantime, here?s a picture of the euro mount I had done on my deer:

c1139cafde1fba65c35ace1098decfa8.jpg

Looks good! I like the dark horns. 

I can?t believe you forgot to take pictures of the antelope!

Good deal Derek!

Question:
When hunting late season doe pronghorn, do you ever shoot bucks that have lost their horns already?

cnelk said:
Good deal Derek!

Question:
When hunting late season doe pronghorn, do you ever shoot bucks that have lost their horns already?

I honestly haven't ever seen that before Brad. I didn't realize that they dropped them this early? With pronghorn, I believe they just lose like the outer layer too, I don't think they actually drop their whole antler, so maybe that's why.

It's typically pretty easy to tell doe vs buck though simply because of the dark cheek patches. However, I actually shot a buck this year that had no patches, but also only had antlers that were like 2 1/2" tall, so he was still legal (anything under 5" is legal with a doe tag).

DTP said:
I can?t believe you forgot to take pictures of the antelope!

I know...my dad and I doubled up on two mid-morning and everyone was close by. So we got to work right away on quartering them up so they could get back to hunting. I had one side done when I realized I forgot to take pictures. At that point, I figured it wasn't worth a picture. We did get a pic of the third one, I'll see if it's okay to share that one.

Yeah, pronghorn lose their 'horns' in December.
Its basically a sheath that comes apart from the base.

They dont last long out on the prairie

colorado russ said:
Congrats on the speed goats Derek and the Euro looks good!!

Your freezer has to be feeling better now!  :)

Thanks Russ! Yeah, the freezer is not as bad as it was after the elk seasons  :lol:

I shot my first ever deer last night on a public land hunt organized by Texas Parks and Wildlife. Best part is I was able to use a rifle that once belonged to my maternal grandfather. Really awesome to hold that heirloom and use it for my first deer. It?s definitely not the first deer to fall to that rifle, I have no idea how many grandpa took with it before it made its way down the line to me.
08cd961bf4cc3cf024759bd27ae80a56.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Army of Dad said:
I shot my first ever deer last night on a public land hunt organized by Texas Parks and Wildlife. Best part is I was able to use a rifle that once belonged to my maternal grandfather. Really awesome to hold that heirloom and use it for my first deer. It?s definitely not the first deer to fall to that rifle, I have no idea how many grandpa took with it before it made its way down the line to me.
08cd961bf4cc3cf024759bd27ae80a56.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back