Adding Weight To Your Arrow

bowhunter

Aug 26, 2015
I am working on a heavier arrow setup. A couple of other BTO members have and like the extra energy and quietness. I don\'t want to get new broadheads and want my FOC to remain the same. I have added some trimmer line, thanks Brad :idea: I used .105 line and cut it the max length I could. I weighed it and I added 70 grains :upthumb: . I have not shot the arrows yet but noticed when I tapped on the shaft I heard a little rattle like when you have a loose tip. My question is those that have tried this does the arrow make much noise when shooting?

Terry

If the rattle is bothersome, take the trimmer line and kink it in several spots with a pair of pliers.

That will solve the \'rattle\'

But I can tell you that not one elk I have shot ever heard the \'rattle\' :)

\"cnelk\" said:
Terry

If the rattle is bothersome, take the trimmer line and kink it in several spots with a pair of pliers.

That will solve the \'rattle\'

But I can tell you that not one elk I have shot ever heard the \'rattle\' :)

I have not shot them yet. If they do make noise I will try the kink tip. Thanks.....

i\'ve never done it.

but i heard that you dont want the inside weight slamming about. like it can push off the nock and stuff.

again..hearsay.

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
i\'ve never done it.

but i heard that you dont want the inside weight slamming about. like it can push off the nock and stuff.

again..hearsay.

I cut it the max length from insert to nock so it wouldn\'t move around.

They make flexible weight tubes that slide inside you arrow. I had some that were 5 grains per inch so you can add quite a bit of weight to a 30\" arrow. Again pinching with pliers ensures they don\'t move and kick out your nock during practice.

The brass weights I bought this year screw into the back of the insert. I got mine from Black Eagle. Might look into those.

I shot the weighted arrows VS the non weighted. No noise and I am pleased with the flight and penetration. :upthumb:

\"vthokee\" said:
The brass weights I bought this year screw into the back of the insert. I got mine from Black Eagle. Might look into those.

This would change his spine and FOC.

the insert theoretically don\'t.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
\"vthokee\" said:

This would change his spine and FOC.

the insert theoretically don\'t.

That is why I chose the line insert. 70 grains balanced over the whole shaft. :upthumb:

I need to weigh them to find my total weight. 20yds not much change in impact. I will try to shoot further soon and see how much it drops at different yardages.

Terry
You wont see much difference until you get out to 40yds and then it starts dropping

You may see a little at 30yds, but def 40

\"cnelk\" said:
Terry
You wont see much difference until you get out to 40yds and then it starts dropping

You may see a little at 30yds, but def 40

I shoot further at targets but 40 would probably be my max at animals. 30 would be better.

I like the Gold Tip Fact weights.

The first thing I do when I build an arrow is do it In my TAP (The Archery Program) software. I can consider all factors, gpi of the shaft, desired finished weight, broadhead weight, insert weight, any weight I might add to the insert, nock or whole length of shaft, vane configuration and weight and spine. Once I am happy with this virtual build...I build it and it will be within a few grains of what I calculated. I haven\'t built an arrow like this that didn\'t perform flawlessly.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

\"Bowfreak\" said:
I like the Gold Tip Fact weights.

The first thing I do when I build an arrow is do it In my TAP (The Archery Program) software. I can consider all factors, gpi of the shaft, desired finished weight, broadhead weight, insert weight, any weight I might add to the insert, nock or whole length of shaft, vane configuration and weight and spine. Once I am happy with this virtual build...I build it and it will be within a few grains of what I calculated. I haven\'t built an arrow like this that didn\'t perform flawlessly.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

i kinda do the same thing. i buy my arrows from Jerry at south shore. :)

this time we overspined my arrows and approached proper spine from above by using insert weights. we ended up adding 30gr up front and i am (his words) just a bit overspined. i have a 430gr arrow IIRC and they hammer pretty hard and fly like darts. (for me)

I don\'t think so. There was an arrow build thread though. I\'m using GT inserts that weigh 100 grains but not sure what they are called just know they are brass and gold in color. I got a lot of my info from listening to Podcasts (Gritty Bowmen).

\"razorback\" said:
I don\'t think so. There was an arrow build thread though. I\'m using GT inserts that weigh 100 grains but not sure what they are called just know they are brass and gold in color. I got a lot of my info from listening to Podcasts (Gritty Bowmen).

What are you FOC #?

I\'m at 14%.

I think that I get the why, to a point. interested in the how...... as I am sure there are several different ways to do this
I just read, quickly, up on foc\'s. I have never worried about that before.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back