Age and elk hunting

Oldwyoelkhunter

Nov 5, 2019
I am going on 72 and am still hunting hard on public land on foot.  In recent years it has been getting harder but I hate to quit.  I was wondering if there are many older elk hunters here and what their thoughts are on how age is affecting their desire to keep hunting. Thanks

I have a friend who still gets after it every year. Hikes in to public Wilderness, sleeps under a tarp, and kills elk. He will be 80.

I think everyone is different tho. Depends on how you treated your body in the early years :)

Im 55 and I know Ill be luck to get 20 more elk hunts.

Good for you, this should be interesting...At 57, I know for me it?s keeping in some sort of shape year round...That and shooting my Bow every chance I get!  As they say, age is but a number...

My Dad (71 last month) has been out here chasing elk, deer and antelope with me for the past several years. 

I am 72. I am still chasing elk. I keep fit everyday by either lifting weights, cycling, swimming, hiking etc. 
I do not wait until July 1st to start.
The one exercise I never leave out are dead hang pull ups. 10 sets 5 reps each.
Pull ups strengthen my back for the rigors of a long day hunt. They also increase grip strength.                                                               

I had a patient that was 95 and I asked how he was, " I wish I was elk hunting!".  I couldn't believe it, this was in Feb.  He told me how he had a shot at a 5 point that previous season, but it was a little far for his 30.06 so he passed.  The day the season ended he was at Cabelas getting a new 300 Win. Mag!  Just so he will be ready next year.  He gave me a lot of hope. 

Excellent question and more interesting responses. I'm 62 this year and bow hunted Colorado with two younger guys. My buddy commented that I stayed with them every inch of the way. I shot a bull and my buddy did also. As strange as it may sound, I feel better when I am hunting elk than most of the year. I am feeling the years but hope to get several more in. I got points to use someday..lol

Very impressed with the 80 year old, humping it and sleeping under tarps..I'll bet he was hard to keep up with in his younger years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back